reeds?

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering if it would do me any good to put aftermarket reeds on my 99 summit 600?

Yes it will help, but you need to do more then that to make that 600 go.
I have made my 2000 ZX chasis go.
I did have a 600 and I made it breath in and out better
and that made it faster than any 700 and most 800 out there.

Smurff

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it will help, but you need to do more then that to make that 600 go.
I have made my 2000 ZX chasis go.
I did have a 600 and I made it breath in and out better
and that made it faster than any 700 and most 800 out there.

Smurff

what all did you doo it?

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what all did you doo it?

First if you do not have pipes,
take off air box and replace
with pods K&N c/w bags so belt rubber will not get to you jets,
Gear down 2 teeth from stock or more.
Must re jet main jets 6 sizes or so.
Also having more power means you should put in a bigger number Lbs. spring
in and maybe pins / weight up you primary chuch.

Note, If you are putting a bigger track this will all change everything.

This will make your sled Fly and 120km on the Deep Field was about what you did before, Now 140km will be what you will be doing or so.
Smuff

Attachments

• Goose Tower Logger Piles.jpg
    Goose Tower Logger Piles.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 145

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First if you do not have pipes,
take off air box and replace
with pods K&N c/w bags so belt rubber will not get to you jets,
Gear down 2 teeth from stock or more.
Must re jet main jets 6 sizes or so.
Also having more power means you should put in a bigger number Lbs. spring
in and maybe pins / weight up you primary chuch.

Note, If you are putting a bigger track this will all change everything.

This will make your sled Fly and 120km on the Deep Field was about what you did before, Now 140km will be what you will be doing or so.
Smuff

I agree, My bro did Reeds, Air Filters, Gearing, Track Extension(136 to 144), Clutch kit, Pipe, Can. The sled flies now. Didn't touch the jets though. Scanned ebay for about two weeks and got everything for under $1000 shipped. Did all the work ourselves. We were amazed what a couple of bolt on parts would do.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the topic of reeds, they only really help other modifications, by themselves they don't do much at all but with additions such as airbox and pipe mods it really helps. One of the best things for an older sled is to change out the breathing, both in and out, and that will make a huge difference. Clutch work is important, maybe the most important thing you can do.

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, My bro did Reeds, Air Filters, Gearing, Track Extension(136 to 144), Clutch kit, Pipe, Can. The sled flies now. Didn't touch the jets though. Scanned ebay for about two weeks and got everything for under $1000 shipped. Did all the work ourselves. We were amazed what a couple of bolt on parts would do.

That is great, make sure your jetting is good, you may think
all those upgrades are helping alot, but running Lean also feels great
But you will Burn down you engin if you do not have enough piston wash.
and jetting is how this is done.
Your sled could of been running rich before, but if you are adding more air
you will have to jet up to have the same fuel to air mix.

Note the more air and Fuel you can run the more HP you will make.
Smurff

Attachments

• Goose Tower Logger Piles.jpg
    Goose Tower Logger Piles.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 106

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how can I test for air fuel ratio. i've done it on vehicles with an air fuel guage but its a pain in the arse. I can't image doing it on the hill. there must be a way I can do it in the shop.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all you are doing is adding reeds to your sled, you do not need to rejet.

It says in the instructions when you install them that jetting may be required, it is such a small difference in the design that you will not be required to do it.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all you are doing is adding reeds to your sled, you do not need to rejet.

It says in the instructions when you install them that jetting may be required, it is such a small difference in the design that you will not be required to do it.

My sled is torn apart at the moment, It will have pipe, can, port and polish, billet 14-1 head, reeds, air filters, and 50 shot of go-go juice. I would rather install the new jets now while its apart but only if you guys think i would need it.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all those other mods you are going to have to rejet it anywyas, haha, sorry.

I was just saying if the reeds were the only mod you were installing, jetting would not be required. As for your application, you will have to read what the manufacturers are recommending for jetting sizes, a general idea is to "average" them out, and then use that as a baseline for testing. Run it for short spurts being careful not to hold it wide open, and then check what your plugs and wash look like, and tune from there. It is a lot easier when you do one mod at a time to see how much change it makes in your air/fuel ratio or what is going to be required for your engine with the mods, but find something to use as a base, keep adjusting to see what it likes, and then DOCUMENT!!!!! Anything you document with detail will be your new jetting chart...

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all those other mods you are going to have to rejet it anywyas, haha, sorry.

I was just saying if the reeds were the only mod you were installing, jetting would not be required. As for your application, you will have to read what the manufacturers are recommending for jetting sizes, a general idea is to "average" them out, and then use that as a baseline for testing. Run it for short spurts being careful not to hold it wide open, and then check what your plugs and wash look like, and tune from there. It is a lot easier when you do one mod at a time to see how much change it makes in your air/fuel ratio or what is going to be required for your engine with the mods, but find something to use as a base, keep adjusting to see what it likes, and then DOCUMENT!!!!! Anything you document with detail will be your new jetting chart...

that sounds like a good idea. Maybe i should practice on my dad's sled first, you know, just in case. lol. Thanks

Top Bottom