reeds don't seal?

M7Plus

Reaction score
what sort of problems would or should i have noticed if my reeds werent closeing? After a string of bad luck and a blown motor, as i was rebuilding and double checking things i noticed that the pedals on my reeds dont close all the way. will this be an issue? should i change them? did this play a part in piston failure?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reed's major purpose is to mix the fuel with th O2 and give the engine the proper mixture of the two. As the engine draws air and fuel into the crankcase the reeds flutter (if you will) to mix the two into a nice consistant mixture which will combust most efficiently for that particular engine.

If your reeds are'nt closing (sealing when the engine is not running) then replace them. Check for some sort of restriction (rare??)

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I feel dumb now. I thought they are a one way air valve! there are 3 types of valves. rotary valve, piston ported, and reeds. Im blonde! no really I em!:confused:

M7Plus

Reaction score
By won't seal i mean if you take them out and look into them from the throttle body side you can see day-light between the pedal and cage. is this common for V-Force or at all even? is there better ones out there?

M7Plus

Reaction score
By won't seal i mean if you take them out and look into them from the throttle body side you can see day-light between the pedal and cage. is this common for V-Force or at all even? is there better ones out there?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't be able to see through them, otherwise you are not getting complete sealing in the crankcase. This is what I've always understood, maybe the V force ones are different but I don't know. Ask Glenengine or Deano670. They'll know.

Jake

Reaction score
Polaris spec on my 800 is .015 max gap. Don't know the cat specs. I have two petals you can see light through within spec. No performance issues. I checked them last week after I melted an aluminum exhaust valve in Golden.

Top Bottom