Recommendations on rebuilding 488cc

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on rebuilding a 488 out of a Polaris Indy Trail RMK fan cooled. Was sledding this weekend and it siezed. I think it ran lean in one cylinder. It turns over now that it is cold, but sounds rough. I don't know the history of this sled, so I will likely go through the engine completely. Any suggestions for best pistons and bearings to use / rebuild kits? Special tools required? Someone around Edmonton trustworthy to machine the cylinders? Anything I should look for when I get it apart? I'd like to freshen up the clutch as well. What's usually needed there? Any help would be appreciated.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did the boys 488 trail 10 years ago bored it out to a 500 still have the original pistons with rings only had 500 miles when we did it there yours if you want them if your cylinders are not damaged just do a lite hone on both and use the same size pistons if there damaged you will need to go 2 sizes over then you need new pistons,rings.bearings plus the cost of boring

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did the boys 488 trail 10 years ago bored it out to a 500 still have the original pistons with rings only had 500 miles when we did it there yours if you want them if your cylinders are not damaged just do a lite hone on both and use the same size pistons if there damaged you will need to go 2 sizes over then you need new pistons,rings.bearings plus the cost of boring

I will definitely keep that in mind. pm me with how much you want for them. I am going to try to have the engine apart in the next week or two. I will stay in contact! Thanks again!

Top Bottom