Recoil install.... Handle "cup" super hard to install..... Anyone else find this?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recoil install.... Handle "cup" super hard to install..... Anyone else find this?

Installed PS on my ES etec..... Fount the hole in oil tank where recoil handle cup slides and locks into was too small....

Two hands and body weight could not get it to snap into place,was worried about cracking oil tank..... Ended up shaving the little "tab" that locks the cup into the hole on oil tank down a snidge to allow easy access if sometbing happened (like fuel line issue)....
Getting recall done on monday, told shop what i did and asked if they would do the same (old cup gets tossed, new design came in) and they said no..... Something about warranty and such blah blah doing it by the book blah blah.....
Im worried that they will have the same issue, end up getting it in there without trimming to fit (in a warm shop) then when im in the backcountry something happens, i gotta pull recoil handle cup off, pull hard (in cold climate) and end up cracking my oil tank.......
im pretty sure BRP wont be paying for sled extrication if that happens seeing is the oil tank will no longer hold oil and the sled is rendered un-rideable....

What are your thoughts? Think getting shop to shave a little off latch is too much to ask?

yammyman

Reaction score

I used a socket with an extension to push on the metal collar in the recess of the cup. It was really hard to push it in initially but it popped out fairly easy when pulled it out for the first time. The second time I pushed it in I could do it by hand fairly easy... It seems to have seated itself properly.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Re: Recoil install.... Handle "cup" super hard to install..... Anyone else find this?

what did the pull start pieces cost you and what all do you need to add this to a es model??

bailer

Reaction score
Re: Recoil install.... Handle "cup" super hard to install..... Anyone else find this?

I installed the recoil start on my estart just as a backup. I also found the cup very hard to seat in oil tank. I put a bit of oil on the cup tab, and slightly warmed the lip of the tank with a mini torch. I then pushed it into place by holding the tank and pushing with steady pressure using the end of a hammer handle as a large punch. It went in quite easily using this method.

Note that you don't have to cut out the side panel, as the cup is far enough in that there is a little clearance to the backside of the panel. The rest of the install was just a few bolts to intall the recoil. i did it when i was changing the exhaust can so it really only takes a few minutes.

The cost for the whole recoil kit, from my dealer was 180 list, 150 after discount, plus taxes.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this thread still applicable? Isn't there a new recoil handle cup in the recall?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this thread still applicable? Isn't there a new recoil handle cup in the recall?

Thats the whole reason why I MADE this thread... I went through the steps to make installation and removal of the cup easy... NOW that the dealership has to install the cup as per strict warranty procedures, its likely that they wont do the small modification that I made to make it easier.. THEREFORE, the chance of damage is likely IF I ever have to remove the cup for some unknown reason....

This thread may not go much farther and become stale, but who cares.... More knowledge was shared as a result, I don't think it hurt anyone to add their insight...

Cheers!

Top Bottom