Rebuilding a 86 Honda 350 TRX Engine

4-Trax

Reaction score
Well, 23 years and 65,000 miles later, my tired old rattling 350 needs to be rebuilt as its low on compression and the timing chain and guides are worn.

Just wondering if anyone else had torn one apart and rebuilt it, or at least replaced the timing chain and guides, etc.

Any response in regards to rebuilding or parts availability would be appreciated as Royal Distributing is limited to parts and having to find a piston and/or rings might be tricky.

4-Trax

Reaction score
Well after the teardown it appears I need another good used cylinder, piston and rings(which I purchased off e-bay for 190.00). Timing chain 40.00 (which had jumped a tooth)
New valves, guides and seals, or have to hand lap the valves. New Centrifugal clutch lining and springs. New change clutch kit and springs. Complete gasket set, clean and paint, fresh oil and filter, and will be good for another few years.

Not too bad for 23 years of riding!

rvt22

Reaction score
Well after the teardown it appears I need another good used cylinder, piston and rings(which I purchased off e-bay for 190.00). Timing chain 40.00 (which had jumped a tooth)
New valves, guides and seals, or have to hand lap the valves. New Centrifugal clutch lining and springs. New change clutch kit and springs. Complete gasket set, clean and paint, fresh oil and filter, and will be good for another few years.

Not too bad for 23 years of riding!

Now that says something. Well I guess you said it all when you said "Honda". That's not an unusual to hear about trouble free operation for years at a time. Happy Quading...

Top Bottom