Rebuild or New

rgashkei

Reaction score
I have an 06 Summit X 151 with about 3500 miles on it, have had it for 4 years now. Sled is in mint shape but the engine is getting worn out and don't want to be stuck with a blown engine mid winter. What would be best, rebuild or just put in a new engine?
Other option is to sell and buy a newer sled, but I hate getting other peoples issues.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like the sled other than the engine being tired, I would check the crank runout. If the runout is good, put a new set of pistons in it and ride her. If the runout is out of spec, get a shortblock and just replace the whole engine. But.......you are going to be putting 2500 or so into a sled that is worth 4500??

If it were me I would throw yours up for sale and get a new one. But depends on how much you want to spend.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Yeah it still runs pretty strong with lots of power. Just used to my old 01 summit that pretty much blew on me every winter. Will check the crank runout, will have to do some reading to see how.
Thanks

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah crank runout and compression test will tell you everything you need to know. If compression is down a bit, new pistons are cheap insurance. Worth it just for the peace of mind and usually pick up some decent power from the increased compression.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can put in a new crank, bearings and top end for about a grand on that sled. Freshen up the motor and you will have a good ride for a another few years.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Going to pick up a 2012 Summit X 163 E-tec with less than 100 miles on it. Should be happy with that. Will be selling my two 06's.

Top Bottom