Rear U-joint on 07 Megacab

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of changing this myself...does the shaft split at the hanger bearing or does the whole thing come off.:confused:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Shaft will split, and they are a b!tch to change, but you can do them yourself...

From Dodge, the original joints are 'glued' in no rings, but your replacement u-joint will have rings. Once you get it off the truck, stick it in a vise and get out the torch. All you have to do is heat the glue and the original joint will pop right out. The crappy part is getting all that glue cleaned up perfectly around the ring seats because once it cools it is hard as concrete, so clean the ring seats perfectly (screwdriver, dental pick, whatever) and then install the new joint as you normally would, and you are set. I did 2 on my 06, and 1 on the 08 and they are the same so im sure the 07 will also be the same.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Longhorn! Went and bought 2 new u-joints and got the shaft split and out on the bench. Discovered the new u-joints they sold me are the wrong ones:nono: I only have a small propane torch, will that get it hot enough?

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
lol
aint always that easy that they pop right out
you still gotta poud them out most of the time

ure torch will work
put on some safety glasses cause the glue sometimes just pops out and shoots somewhere and u dont wanna get boiling hot glue in ure eyes

there aint much cleaning necessarie if u do the heating right

on this nice picture i made u :) :)

u see the u joint cap and the little dots is the glue sticking out (ull see little pimpels)
start heating in the middle of them (green arrows) and work ure way towards the pimpels (blue arrows)
if done right the glue will start flowing out like a worm :)

after that cool the shaft wih water and start pounding :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you mark the driveshaft with the front part of the driveshaft before you took it apart to keep the phazing of the driveshaft in sync??

very important!

also

i usually take my shafts into pats driveline. they install a quality ujoint for like 30$ in about half hour. sometimes heating and hammering and using the vice its counter productive

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
very important!

Also

i usually take my shafts into pats driveline. They install a quality ujoint for like 30$ in about half hour. Sometimes heating and hammering and using the vice its counter productive

not to mention any damage or dents that can throw the driveshaft out of balance or straightness, also careful not to knock the balance weight off the shaft..........

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys! :d:beer: My little torch just couldn't get it hot enough to melt that plastic so I ran down to a shop to heat and press out the old joint. I did so mark the shaft, front and back as well as u-joint orientation. Got it all back together about 1 hr ago.:d I'm definetly going out and buying a good fire wrench!;) Thx again
Rich

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, the clips are so much easier will be a lot easier to change next time. Sure glad my 04 still had the clips from the factory. Already did 3 on my 04, each one gets easier. You'll be a pro soon! :d Sure is a piss off how early these things go......Curious how much did you pay for it? I had to pay like $190 from NAPA on a sunday when I was in a bind for it, sure seemed insane when the axle shaft ones are only $20 and I SWORE they are pretty much identical.

As far as paying someone to press them out, yea if you want to spend all day doing it. I would rather be done and have my truck finished in less then 2 hours start to finish and not bother. If you can swing a hammer and hold a socket they pound out in a few minutes. And you'd be amazed what your driveshaft is going through there, I trust myself a lot more.

And to late to tell you, but dodge has 1 piece replacements that get rid of the stupid carrier barring that are stronger yet lighter and MUCH better for a decent price, and would save you from replacing the joints.

Top Bottom