Rear Suspension; 1999 Summit 600

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went out for a little ride on Saturday. Temp was around -5 C. I decided to take her new sled for a little rip. After about a 5 minute ride I noticed that the suspension had completely bottomed out and would not come back up. I put it in the heated garage and after about an hour the suspension dropped back to its normal position. I cranked the preload on the rear springs up a setting. That Sunday with the temp around -15 C we had the sleds out again. I didn’t have a chance to ride hers again but the suspension didn’t drop this time with just her bombing around on the lake.

I am “a bit” heavier than my wife. I suspect the rear shock may be the issue. I have pulled it out and have left it in the cold outdoors overnight. After the shock was out I confirmed that the shock would compress completely and return to the full extended position. It did while in the garage. I will test it this AM in the cold. The skid seems to compress completley and return without the shock. No sticking or binding present and everything has been greased. How difficult should it be to compress the shock and how fast should it return to the extended position? What else could be the issue if it is not the shock? Thanks…

Last edited:

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went out for a little ride on Saturday. Temp was around -5 C. I decided to take her new sled for a little rip. After about a 5 minute ride I noticed that the suspension had completely bottomed out and would not come back up. I put it in the heated garage and after about an hour the suspension dropped back to its normal position. I cranked the preload on the rear springs up a setting. That Sunday with the temp around -15 C we had the sleds out again. I didn’t have a chance to ride hers again but the suspension didn’t drop this time with just her bombing around on the lake.

I am “a bit” heavier than my wife. I suspect the rear shock may be the issue. I have pulled it out and have left it in the cold outdoors overnight. After the shock was out I confirmed that the shock would compress completely and return to the full extended position. It did while in the garage. I will test it this AM in the cold. The skid seems to compress completley and return without the shock. No sticking or binding present and everything has been greased. How difficult should it be to compress the shock and how fast should it return to the extended position? What else could be the issue if it is not the shock? Thanks…

My 1999 600 did the exact same thing and it was the shock........

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The torsion springs can get tired after years of bumps, the shock is only a damper the springs are what hold it up, I put on a set from a 04 summit and it helped but would still like to go firmer so can turn down the preload.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled the shock out last night. Left it out in the cold to test in the AM. There is signs of oil on the shaft. I could smell it as well on my hands. The only replacement for this sled is the 8200 series from Ryde FX. Has anyone had any experience with these shocks?

steveo

Reaction score

The same thing happened to my 2000 summit on sunday in whitecourt....i am now looking for a shock !!

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a Kimpex shock through Royal Distributing or a local dealer (RPM in Whitecourt - 780-706-2411). Way cheaper and still a decent shock.:d

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have put the rydeFX shocks up front and am very happy with them, the damper adjustment is a very nice feature so I will be putting one on the back also, I think you would be happy with it.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have put the rydeFX shocks up front and am very happy with them, the damper adjustment is a very nice feature so I will be putting one on the back also, I think you would be happy with it.

I hope so. Unfortunatly, the only match was their 8200 series with no adjustment. Did your's come with new bushings or could you use your old ones?

steveo

Reaction score
Got a shock coming from kevin at Rapid revolutions should be around $150.00

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope so. Unfortunatly, the only match was their 8200 series with no adjustment. Did your's come with new bushings or could you use your old ones?

Came with bushings and stops and they are the 8400 series. I also can only get the 8200 for the back.

Top Bottom