rear diff trouble - King quad

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, went for a long ride today and noticed alot of play in the rear differential where it attachs to the rear right tire. It seems to have alot of play on the right side when compared to left side. It's espessially noticeable when in reverse turning right (doing circles counterclockwise), as it makes a clicking noise from all the play. This is all in 2 wheel drive. Any idea what needs to be replaced?
It's on a 08 King quad 750, no powersteering.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that your A-arm bushings are worn. It is very commom with the king Quads.
The clicking sound you are hearing is probably from a CV joint on the rear. The CV joints get worn also. I take mine apart a couple times a year, clean them out and repack with new grease.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that your A-arm bushings are worn. It is very commom with the king Quads.
The clicking sound you are hearing is probably from a CV joint on the rear. The CV joints get worn also. I take mine apart a couple times a year, clean them out and repack with new grease.

Thanks, but hopefully it's covered under warranty. I only have 200kms and bought it 3 weeks ago! Hope I don't have to do this every 3 weeks.:nono:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well I looked at it today and saw a rip on the rear right boot. Guess that's my problem, but there also seems to be too much play in the rear diff too.:rolleyes:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at it today and saw a rip on the rear right boot. Guess that's my problem, but there also seems to be too much play in the rear diff too.:rolleyes:

Hey josh...sounds like ur using the new kq.... if ur boot is ripped and it got contaminated, you could have taken out a balljoint on the axle.. if it clicks its either gone or going.... u could try to repack it, may buy u some time... but it will have to be changed eventually... never had any issues with the diff s

what kind of play are u talking about... there should be some play but not alot, are you talking like, grab the rear drive shaft to the engine play? and how much? 1/8 turn 1/2 turn etc... let me know Terry

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey josh...sounds like ur using the new kq.... if ur boot is ripped and it got contaminated, you could have taken out a balljoint on the axle.. if it clicks its either gone or going.... u could try to repack it, may buy u some time... but it will have to be changed eventually... never had any issues with the diff s

what kind of play are u talking about... there should be some play but not alot, are you talking like, grab the rear drive shaft to the engine play? and how much? 1/8 turn 1/2 turn etc... let me know Terry

Well I haven't been home for a few weeks, but next week it should be in your shop for the day getting the axle replaced...:(, as the click is pretty loud. I just got a hold of greyhound, so my boot protectors are here now but haven't been installed. Apparently my phone number was wrong on the package, even though when I called them a couple weeks ago they said they had nothing for me:rolleyes:.

It didn't have alot of play when I tried turning it from the rear axle, (not the drive shaft). I just thought it should be pretty solid, but it is my first IRS machine too.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool ill see u then,,if u hve the guards bring them in and well slap em on for ya,,, i ll give u a free bumper for the hassels...

catch up to u then

T

Top Bottom