Realty prices and assessments

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sad part is that the solution isn't even that complicated. Just build more houses. Like they did in the 50s. And any reason for not building more houses, like red tape, or zoning, gets targeted and fixed by someone with some power.

Problem is revy only has so much space to build.

Id build a house on the Kirkup, but then we'd have to shut down the trail! Haha

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look at the selection!!! 😂 1/2 million for a lot or a million for Anything else
Ive been eyeing up this lot been on the market for a while.
325 000$ pretty small lot though, not the best spot to build either.

At least with building youll end up with a new home instead of a fixer upper.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing up this lot been on the market for a while.
325 000$ pretty small lot though, not the best spot to build either.

At least with building youll end up with a new home instead of a fixer upper.
Ok - a heads up , I have done some builds in that area and it’s all goo . An environmental review will be needed and soil engineering . When you excavate you will more than likely intercept a watercourse. There is also an environmental nazi in the neighbourhood that owns property nearby .It’s steep land with the highway above

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok - a heads up , I have done some builds in that area and it’s all goo . An environmental review will be needed and soil engineering . When you excavate you will more than likely intercept a watercourse. There is also an environmental nazi in the neighbourhood that owns property nearby .It’s steep land with the highway above
Oops sorry that particular lot is lower down , you are right next to the railway tracks but still in goo

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya Im familiar with the lot. I have design in mind already. Be green as fuk too haha

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Tax assessment on our three year old house in Salmon Arm has gone up 32% this year. It isn't a resort driving up our prices, it is all the people coming up from the lower mainland and retiring in the area. Selling their property down there and buying something similar for much less with a chunk of change in their pockets.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ours went up over 90k, and that's with farm status. Horse chit, 8 years in the house and our insurance has doubled and taxes are close to double

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ours went up over 90k, and that's with farm status. Horse chit, 8 years in the house and our insurance has doubled and taxes are close to double
My acreage insurance has double too over the last couple years to $ 3900 /yr
Excuse was that I have chickens and pigs.... Damn those evil beasts, must have had a bunch of liability claims
Or just screwing the small guys so they have to rely on the big producers...

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tax assessment on our three year old house in Salmon Arm has gone up 32% this year. It isn't a resort driving up our prices, it is all the people coming up from the lower mainland and retiring in the area. Selling their property down there and buying something similar for much less with a chunk of change in their pockets.

It is happening all over Southern BC

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I appealed this morning with a couple of phone calls . An assessor called back , I stated my case and it was lowered 37000 without anything further to do. it will go through the review process but that is a formality that has been rubber stamped for approval . They had my finished basement at 1102 square feet when reality is 348 .

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance has went up a lot, though I haven't noticed house insurance being anywhere as bad as the others.

As far as property taxes I think people forget if an entire place increase in value 25% it doesn't mean your taxes go up that much or even at all. If your property goes up the same amount as the average, your only increase is the increase to the citys budget, which would go up regardless if house values go up or down.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The two homes remaining are on the 22nd floor, and both feature two bedrooms and two bathrooms. One has 888 square feet indoors and another 231 on the balcony, while the second has 865 square feet inside and 110 outside. They are priced at $829,900 and $859,900, respectively.

That is in the Bertram Tower in downtown Kelowna. Basically, $1000/sq.ft. not including the balcony. People have way too much money!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say spending that much on a place means you have too much money that's a pretty realistic house price, but not for a tiny a$$ condo.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you are going to pay a lil bit of a premium to be water front in kelowna

But Yep youll get more square ft for your dollar if you build in a glorified farmers feild turned subdivision lol

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Kamloops, my family is there and I was hoping to move back eventually. Prices have doubled since 2014 so can pretty much cancel that idea.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance has went up a lot, though I haven't noticed house insurance being anywhere as bad as the others.

As far as property taxes I think people forget if an entire place increase in value 25% it doesn't mean your taxes go up that much or even at all. If your property goes up the same amount as the average, your only increase is the increase to the citys budget, which would go up regardless if house values go up or down.
Politics is when they tell you the taxes don’t go up , your assessment stays the same or declines, but the mill rate is increased. So , councils can’t say that taxes didn’t go up , but you now pay more !

Top Bottom