Realty prices and assessments

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a lake front house in lake country for sale for 48 million dollars.

20 years ago, 10 million would be the most expensive house in Canada

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lot on CPR hill ( 130 Maple street) Revelstoke assessed at 37k listed at 259000 . Its a steep lot that is is all clay .I’m sure the owner that tried to excavate and build ( city shut him down - no permit ) is hoping someone will buy and then he can piggyback on the engineering and build on the other two lots next door. Whatever, its ridiculous prices everywhere with no end in sight . Construction costs in Revelstoke around 400$+ square foot .

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not happy about the 44% increase but I’m happy I bought 2 acres in 09 for 60,000 that would easily be over 200 now if you can even find bare land.
Looking at the locals in Revelstoke, increase in property values may actually push them out of their houses.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the locals in Revelstoke, increase in property values may actually push them out of their houses.
Exactly- many born here locals have been pushed out . Now it’s the billionaires pushing the millionaires around 🤦‍♂️

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BS BS BS. You're going to try and tell me even a few more thousand a year in property taxes would push people out of their houses, and that bit of increase means the value is going up 6 figures? All they'd have to do is get a LOC if they don't want to put out the extra coin and they could pay the extra taxes with it and they'd be further ahead then if the value never increased.

Or how about this, any local that is going to be pushed out, sign a declaration saying when they want to sell 1, 5, 10 years or whatever, they will sell to me for todays value, and I will pay the extra property taxes until that point. House could go up $500k in value, maybe pay what $15-20k extra in taxes. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Now if you're talking about locals who rent or young people who want to get into their local market that's a totally different story.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You get pushed out by the never ending wave of investment seekers that buy a rental house and don’t live in town or people who must have a rental suite in order to pay the mortgage. It has happened everywhere in town . When you don’t know your neighbours , when your neighbours change daily, when your neighbours are here to party , when your neighbours decide its perfectly ok to park on your lawn or in winter the grader comes by and swings out around the parked cars screwing you and others over for efficient snow removal. When your neighbours decide to crank up the music and have a hot tub at midnight, when your neighbours decide a few fireworks are ok because they are here on vacation.Residential zoning is a cruel joke in Revelstoke. Nothing has been done to prevent illegal vacation rentals in this town and residents have had enough - Thats how you get pushed out of town. Here is a prime example listed this morning - meet your eight new neighbours who are going to come and go at all hours of the day and night. http://list.thestoke.ca/posts/558845

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BS BS BS. You're going to try and tell me even a few more thousand a year in property taxes would push people out of their houses, and that bit of increase means the value is going up 6 figures? All they'd have to do is get a LOC if they don't want to put out the extra coin and they could pay the extra taxes with it and they'd be further ahead then if the value never increased.

Or how about this, any local that is going to be pushed out, sign a declaration saying when they want to sell 1, 5, 10 years or whatever, they will sell to me for todays value, and I will pay the extra property taxes until that point. House could go up $500k in value, maybe pay what $15-20k extra in taxes. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Now if you're talking about locals who rent or young people who want to get into their local market that's a totally different story.
Lol, good Canadians are being forced to relocate by the hands of foreign investment isn't bs. Where would you go when you get forced out of your home town?
Money isn't everything.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You get pushed out by the never ending wave of investment seekers that buy a rental house and don’t live in town or people who must have a rental suite in order to pay the mortgage. It has happened everywhere in town . When you don’t know your neighbours , when your neighbours change daily, when your neighbours are here to party , when your neighbours decide its perfectly ok to park on your lawn or in winter the grader comes by and swings out around the parked cars screwing you and others over for efficient snow removal. When your neighbours decide to crank up the music and have a hot tub at midnight, when your neighbours decide a few fireworks are ok because they are here on vacation.Residential zoning is a cruel joke in Revelstoke. Nothing has been done to prevent illegal vacation rentals in this town and residents have had enough - Thats how you get pushed out of town. Here is a prime example listed this morning - meet your eight new neighbours who are going to come and go at all hours of the day and night. http://list.thestoke.ca/posts/558845
short term rental too
can you say partytime?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats Revy life, love it or leave it.
Unfortunately not everyone can be here to party , there are parents who have to get up in the morning and get their kids off to school..There are people who have to work and also tolerate ( or not ) the partiers next door. From construction workers to waitresses everyone needs to earn a living and be able to get up in the morning. Welcome to resort living.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not everyone can be here to party , there are parents who have to get up in the morning and get their kids off to school..There are people who have to work and also tolerate ( or not ) the partiers next door. From construction workers to waitresses everyone needs to earn a living and be able to get up in the morning. Welcome to resort living.

Boo whoo

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got homeless guys living and doing drugs in the bushes in my home town.

Tell me how tough it is living in Revy again lmao

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now thats a right neighborly attitude !! Would you prefer a neighbour who would come over and shovel/ snowblow your walk and driveway when you unfortunately have broken a leg or arm out sledding or a neighbour that replies BOO HOO

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now thats a right neighborly attitude !! Would you prefer a neighbour who would come over and shovel/ snowblow your walk and driveway when you unfortunately have broken a leg or arm out sledding or a neighbour that replies BOO HOO

Boo hoo lol pay someone to come shovel

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this place with a view, and every time i try to drink beer outside on a nice day i listen to the neighbors kids scream at the top of there lungs and cry for hours. Think theyll shovel my walk way when im out of town? Not a chance in hell....

Neibors suck ass.... best thing is when the closest neighbor lives a mile away in my experience..

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sucks to see the market skyrocket like this. I'm coming up to a point in life where I could afford to buy a nice house and spend winters in Revy. At 2019 prices that is. I could afford a nice place there still, but it would suck up a huge amount of my spare income now.

Top Bottom