Re:The type of people that say"oil is oil"

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: The type of people that say"oil is oil"

Ive always used the oil recomended by my dealer and have never had a issue. I couldn't tell you the difference between this one and the other however I can tell you Im problem free.
Humans are creatures of habbitt, if its not broken why are you trying to fix it?
At what point does it become a matter of opinion?

salbendidi

Reaction score

i run there full syn. shell advanced i think. i wouldnt run amsoil in my lawn mower. if petro can made a 2 stroke full syn oil id run that

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think someone has got their panties in a knot over a real non-issue.

I perfer virgin to extra virgin olive oil when making a dlightful vinagrett dressing. If im feeling real nasty and need a kick start I will dip my toast in bacon grease.

"oil is oil"

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I feel dumber after reading this thread. I think I'll continue to run Polaris oil in my Polaris snowmobile. Run what you want... But I'll be riding while you're keyboard racing with the oil "experts". Maintain your engine. Keep it lubed. Ride the fawk out of it. Repeat.

This post is stupid,so you are responding to it?I'm a keyboard racer and you are typing a responce to me on a keyboard?
Wow.Your cool...Was it a little bus that that picked you up from school?

What one of my main points was that I didn't know(snowmobile) 2 stroke oil wasnt a regulated product.I thought every
bottle on everyshelf had to pass a certain government standard.I have seen TC-W3 on every bottle I have ever looked
at,so I assumed that TC-W3 was the "spec" that snowmobile oil had to live up to.I was supprised when I learned that
TC-W3 was a "spec" for outboard 2 stroke oil in the mid.90's
But You already knew all of that stuff right. Keep Buyin what the salesman points to,cause thats the best oil there is.;)

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel dumber after reading this thread. I think I'll continue to run Polaris oil in my Polaris snowmobile. Run what you want... But I'll be riding while you're keyboard racing with the oil "experts". Maintain your engine. Keep it lubed. Ride the fawk out of it. Repeat.

This post is stupid,so you are responding to it?I'm a keyboard racer and you are typing a responce to me on a keyboard?
Wow.Your cool...Was it a little bus that that picked you up from school?

What one of my main points was that I didn't know(snowmobile) 2 stroke oil wasnt a regulated product.I thought every
bottle on everyshelf had to pass a certain government standard.I have seen TC-W3 on every bottle I have ever looked
at,so I assumed that TC-W3 was the "spec" that snowmobile oil had to live up to.I was supprised when I learned that
TC-W3 was a "spec" for outboard 2 stroke oil in the mid.90's
But You already knew all of that stuff right. Keep Buyin what the salesman points to,cause thats the best oil there is.;)

And my point is that so far you have determined that nothing is good enough for any of our sleds despite the fact that we have run all these brands for years. So I guess we should all stop riding because we're not running the "proper" oil. Guess what.. In regards to oil, my sled will 100% be warrantied in regards to engine problems if I'm running the oil the dealer sells me. There's no ifs ands or buts. Not saying they won't warranty it with other oils... But I just don't see where this thread is going. So far a complete circle has been talked about some tests that really have no relevance when it comes to real world riding conditions. This is about the same as dyno tuning vs. tuning where you're riding. Much different conditions. Another thought... How many different places actually manufacture oil as opposed to pasting a label on it and calling it their own...

Sent from my eYefone using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Has anyone ever ran Opti-2? I local guy has ran it for many years with great results. Manufacturer recommends mixing 100:1, but he mixes 80:1 just to be safe. Still seems kind of skinny to me. But the guy is a very knowledgable engine builder.......and has torn down multiple engines after 5000km+, and he says they look like new. And he is not a dealer. Ive ran my sled on this mix for the last half of last season, and 3 rides this season and it works awesome. Replaced my pistons this fall and everything looked great.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Opti-2, or has heard anything.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Has anyone ever ran Opti-2? I local guy has ran it for many years with great results. Manufacturer recommends mixing 100:1, but he mixes 80:1 just to be safe. Still seems kind of skinny to me. But the guy is a very knowledgable engine builder.......and has torn down multiple engines after 5000km+, and he says they look like new. And he is not a dealer. Ive ran my sled on this mix for the last half of last season, and 3 rides this season and it works awesome. Replaced my pistons this fall and everything looked great.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Opti-2, or has heard anything.

I run OPTI in my chainsaws and shyte! I imagine it would be cost prohibitive to burn in a sled wouldn't it?? If I recall the 2 or 3 liter jug that I bought was pricey stuff!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I run OPTI in my chainsaws and shyte! I imagine it would be cost prohibitive to burn in a sled wouldn't it?? If I recall the 2 or 3 liter jug that I bought was pricey stuff!

Seems cheaper to me? I got a gallon jug for around 55 bucks. And run it at 80:1 rather than 40:1.

Hooligen

Reaction score

Hope this isn't off topic too much, but i herd a fairly renowned engine builder had two sleds come into his shop for pistons and rings and jeneral motor inspection.

08 860 xp and 08 800xp stocker, 860 has twice the miles that the stocker has.
860 owner has always dumped a bit of oil in the gas tank along with factory oil injection.
Stocker always just ran factory oil injection.
Motor builder gets into these motors and finds that the stocker has twice the wear on internal components with half the miles.
Also same motor builer has a dyno in his shop and says that running a shot of oil in your tank will make more hp. Maybe we are talking 1/4 horse or something i don't know.
Could this have somethnig to do with the precision of the 860 build?, or is a shot of oil in the tank do that much good? My Turbo(12-14lbs boost) has had a half cup in with every tank thats went through it and when it went in for the head update the mechanic said you'd never know it was turbo'd, it was that clean.

Can anyone share some knowledge on this? Personal experiances?

Polaris Ves Gold from day one.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I ran it in my Banshee and had good luck with it. It just became hard to find. My buddy ran in it in has dirt bikes mixed at 100:1 and leaned right out, and never had any issues. I am into rc cars and they recommend it in those little motors, and they run at super high rpm's!

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Interesting thread. Now that a few years has passed, does anyone have anymore real world results??

I always thought that a company had to pay to have their oil advertised with the standard. Thats why for years and years John Deere just warrantied your engine if it was proven their oil was the cause of failure. It was much cheaper then paying for the API sticker on the jug.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

15,000km on my 2013 etec with Amsoil. Doesn't stink like BRP oil either.

Thunder101

Reaction score

Lloydguy thanks for the info. Oils for 2S that do not have a rating is interesting, why thy don't is a bit curious. Fail or cost of getting the rating?
I also read the thread w the chemist and thought it was informitive.
IMO stock sled stock oil or a " brand " like shell that has a rating. I have mod sleds and have ran dominator and ledgend. Run what you want but if you don't find the thread helpful why read it or post crap?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I switched from Polaris VES in my '13 pro, after the valves got pretty gummy. I started running Royal Purple just to try something different, but hit a tree and totalled the sled of shortly after. I'm just curious if it's worth the $60 bux a jug to keep running it, or ??
For whatever reason I've been kindof 'anti Amsoil', but I'm slowly thinking that maybe I should give it a try.

Top Bottom