Rc Crawlers. A hobby a Albertan can afford....

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rc Crawlers. A hobby an Albertan can afford....

Anybody else around here into the little units? I did a search and found a 9 year old thread about gas trucks so I figured I'd ask around about these on a current thread. I just recently got into this and bought a used Custom setup from a old friend. It is basically an Axial Wraith, or the cage is, then the rest is aftermarket Scx-10 running gear. Man are these suckers capable!! Mines got lockers front and rear. Helps a lot. The warn winch on the front is good for 30lbs of pull. I think I'm going to get my 7 year old boy into these, take them camping. Lmao it'll make the walks the wife wants to go on interesting and fun! Here is my lead Mechanic doing a front diff service on it. If you got one of these post it up!
IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Rc Crawlers. A hobby an Albertan can afford....

I have an rc car. It’s crazy fast and fun to. But I never use it. Was thinking a crawler would be better. Might have to sell mine and get one.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

your mechanics foot looks like that would be very uncomfortable and painfull

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pretty observant, would of never seen that

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an rc car. It’s crazy fast and fun to. But I never use it. Was thinking a crawler would be better. Might have to sell mine and get one.

i use to be into the nitro scene about 10 years ago too. Although we had fun with them, it seemed like we lost interest after a summer of constantly running back and forth to the city for spare driveline parts that we grenaded. Or for fuel. Tapped right out, mine is set up to run a pinch faster than a quick walking pace. Not even fast enough to break parts.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Started out with nitro but got rid of them as i got tired of having to mess with the tune every time i wanted to use them and it was a little dangerous, big, and fast with small kids around. Now have a custom ax10 scorpion, 2x summits, emaxx, and a buggy whos name escapes me.. Seems like now i only play in the winter when board.. run em tare em apart order upgrades and repeat..lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i use to be into the nitro scene about 10 years ago too. Although we had fun with them, it seemed like we lost interest after a summer of constantly running back and forth to the city for spare driveline parts that we grenaded. Or for fuel. Tapped right out, mine is set up to run a pinch faster than a quick walking pace. Not even fast enough to break parts.

Yah that’s why I think a crawler would be more fun. My nitro takes lots to keep working. Brushless crawler would be nice.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Started out with nitro but got rid of them as i got tired of having to mess with the tune every time i wanted to use them and it was a little dangerous, big, and fast with small kids around. Now have a custom ax10 scorpion, 2x summits, emaxx, and a buggy whos name escapes me.. Seems like now i only play in the winter when board.. run em tare em apart order upgrades and repeat..lol

I feel your winters may be a lot more mild than ours! I find wheeling in the cold way less enjoyable as I don't move around enough to stay warm. Lmao I've wheeled from my big bay window before in my living room sitting on a chair playing around in my front yard. I find they are a pinch to heavy to effectively float on the snow at all, rendering it stuck. More often than desired.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yah that’s why I think a crawler would be more fun. My nitro takes lots to keep working. Brushless crawler would be nice.

I never in a million years would have figured that I'd get so much enjoyment out of something that goes as slow as it does. There is about a half dozen scale crawler trucks on the market that supersede basically every else. Rtr out of the box they work awesome. Are you a facebooker by chance? There is a couple local pages that are quite active, especially in the winter. Selling your current unit wouldn't be tough there, or even trading it for another rig.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what I enjoy so much about it is how technical it gets. Wheeling in real life takes practice and talent. These Crawlers are no different. Approach angles, RTI(ramp travel index) and traction make the world of difference. I was mind blown when I saw the difference it made from no lockers to having them.

Going for a chew at night is super fun too. These tiny light bars put out as good as any of my small LED trouble lights.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had a mini crawler. It was a Losi maybe 6” long. The wife didn’t like it when she was trying to watch tv and I was crawling on her. Then I wrapped her hair up in the tires, that didn’t impress her.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We cruise around with these pretty regularly like the guys in the second vid there. Slow and more technical seems to be what I enjoy.

The Wraith is in my opinion a fantastic all around rig. In Stock out of the box for they are a bit longer wheel base and tend to high center a little more often when used for technical crawling. What is quite popular is what they simply call a 1.9 converted Wraith. They shorten the wheel base a bit and put on smaller tires on them than they come with out of the box. Also really popular to swap motors quick. That's actually what mine is.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I feel your winters may be a lot more mild than ours! I find wheeling in the cold way less enjoyable as I don't move around enough to stay warm. Lmao I've wheeled from my big bay window before in my living room sitting on a chair playing around in my front yard. I find they are a pinch to heavy to effectively float on the snow at all, rendering it stuck. More often than desired.

This winter has been extremely mild... I have some mudslingers on my summit and they will claw through anything dont get stuck to often. The other one runs a wide set of trenches that let it stay on top... I just sit in the house and drive..LOL

Top Bottom