RAVE mod

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done the RAVE mod where you convert it to run off exhaust gas like the older sleds? Any issues with it? Thanks:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done the RAVE mod where you convert it to run off exhaust gas like the older sleds? Any issues with it? Thanks:beer:
Deano from Mad Motorsports does this mod and swears by it. there is some sort of rigging you have to do to keep it from throwing a code, something to do with the solenoid that activates the e-raves. well worth it he tells me.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deano from Mad Motorsports does this mod and swears by it. there is some sort of rigging you have to do to keep it from throwing a code, something to do with the solenoid that activates the e-raves. well worth it he tells me.
Deano did the rave mod to my 09 summit 800 and it flat out rocked! It made that sled have instant throttle reasponse! well worth the money i hope he gets it figgured out for the etec

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Deano did the rave mod to my 09 summit 800 and it flat out rocked! It made that sled have instant throttle reasponse! well worth the money i hope he gets it figgured out for the etec
Yeah that was my concern was the ECM. If he's got it figured than sweet!! Just on my Turbo build Im getting Rid of the DPM and would like to get rid of the RAVE solenoids as well. Gonna have to take a rip up to see Deano one of these days! Thanks:beer:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Im curious to hear what different versions are out there for doing this. I got Al at the sled shed to do mine. Not sure what to think of it as I done a bunch of things at once when I did them. Talking to a few knowledgable guys about it and they say that I should really look at a different setup. Al cuts 200 thou off of the valve. Other guys are saying that this will make you lose a lot of your bottom and mid range, and cause a lot of turbulence.

As far as I understand, Al cuts 200 thou off, drills a hole somewhere, and he must change a spring around somewhere so they spring shut when exhaust pressure isnt that high. Curious to hear if other setups are similar just without the massive cut on the valve.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree. I'm between getting Dean to do it or al from the sled shed.

Care to tell us Dean on what u do compared to al !!!!

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is very similar to what Al does other than the machining of the valve itself. In 07 when the r engine came out Brp had to partially hang the rave in the port to meet noise emissions hense the rave solenoids. I get rid of all but the electrical to the solenoids, yes there is a spring change and yes you need to allow the flow of cylinder pressure into the bellows. Both Linderman and Mark do the exact same mod as i do. By allowing the valve to move fully it now opens and closes completely but you need to be careful with cutting the valve that when it opens it doesnt open to far and create a turbulance area this is why when big bores and porting are done the valves themselves need to be cut to port match the cylinder and do not make contact with the piston in the case of a big bore. When i do mine the carbs come off get completely disassembled and cleaned and the reeds come out and are inspected. Thats the long and short of it. The only potential problem it creates is like in the old days you may have to change your bellows sooner as you are allowing hot gases into them, however the benefits far out way this small problem. The etec is slightly different as it has a position sensor on the raves to measure travel, we should have this problem solved very shortly. I did on the snow testing with a new 2013 last year with the mod it does turn the engine light on but didnt seem to have any affect on the way it ran. But for all you guys/girls who have big bores, porting, pipes,cold air intakes basically any mod that affects air/fuel flow through the engine with out doing the rave mod to allow them to open fully you are no further ahead with your mods than a stocker and most likely havent noticed much of a gain with your mods. Any question give me a shout and i will be more than happy to answer them. 780 986 6370

Thank you

Deano

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply Dean. So can I just replace the blades on the setup Al did for me? I have a spare set of Raves sitting on the bench and am curious to try it without the cut valves.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is very similar to what Al does other than the machining of the valve itself. In 07 when the r engine came out Brp had to partially hang the rave in the port to meet noise emissions hense the rave solenoids. I get rid of all but the electrical to the solenoids, yes there is a spring change and yes you need to allow the flow of cylinder pressure into the bellows. Both Linderman and Mark do the exact same mod as i do. By allowing the valve to move fully it now opens and closes completely but you need to be careful with cutting the valve that when it opens it doesnt open to far and create a turbulance area this is why when big bores and porting are done the valves themselves need to be cut to port match the cylinder and do not make contact with the piston in the case of a big bore. When i do mine the carbs come off get completely disassembled and cleaned and the reeds come out and are inspected. Thats the long and short of it. The only potential problem it creates is like in the old days you may have to change your bellows sooner as you are allowing hot gases into them, however the benefits far out way this small problem. The etec is slightly different as it has a position sensor on the raves to measure travel, we should have this problem solved very shortly. I did on the snow testing with a new 2013 last year with the mod it does turn the engine light on but didnt seem to have any affect on the way it ran. But for all you guys/girls who have big bores, porting, pipes,cold air intakes basically any mod that affects air/fuel flow through the engine with out doing the rave mod to allow them to open fully you are no further ahead with your mods than a stocker and most likely havent noticed much of a gain with your mods. Any question give me a shout and i will be more than happy to answer them. 780 986 6370

Thank you

Deano

So when you get the etec figured your going to give me a call right? lol:D

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply Dean. So can I just replace the blades on the setup Al did for me? I have a spare set of Raves sitting on the bench and am curious to try it without the cut valves.

Yes sir:beer:

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you

Deano

just out of curiosity, would this mod benefit a turbo set up?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did it on my '08 that I just sold. It worked like s charm. You can feel the valves opening sooner in the rpm range giving you more low end. I also liked the simplicity of the set up just running off vacume and not stupid solenoids. IMO they should have always been this way. Leave it to an engineer to over complicate a good thing. Engine was an 860R, fully ported cases and jugs and some other doo dads

Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It works very well in a turbo application with the addition of one more spring.

Deano

driller

Reaction score
you can do that mod your self it is not that difficult
need some basic tools and a drill
did my 07 in about 1 hr

Top Bottom