Raptor in the pond

tysonlwilliamson

Reaction score
Last night I ran my raptor off of the track and landed in a pond. The bike stayed under for about ten minutes. I have drained the oil, fuel, and coolant. I also removed the spark plug and cleaned it off. After that I removed the air filter and let it dry. I towed the bike around with another bike to pump the water out of the engine while the gear was engaged (it was slam full of it too). So I guess I need to know what I should do next? I have not moved on to the next step...HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllppppppppp

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple of my buddy's that lost their quads in the river had to change the oil up to 10 times

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I ran my raptor off of the track and landed in a pond. The bike stayed under for about ten minutes. I have drained the oil, fuel, and coolant. I also removed the spark plug and cleaned it off. After that I removed the air filter and let it dry. I towed the bike around with another bike to pump the water out of the engine while the gear was engaged (it was slam full of it too). So I guess I need to know what I should do next? I have not moved on to the next step...HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllppppppppp

buy some cheap oil and change it a bunch of times until it comes out clean...turn it over without starting it in between those oil changes also to get as much water and garbage out as possible. Once you get it running, let it idle for 5 minutes or so and chech oil again......any white foam means there is more water. Im not sure if that quads has carbs or not, but if it does, you'll want to clean the float bowl out for sure. Also drain and replace all of your fuel...............thats all I can think of for now.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuo can also rinse out crankcase with a bit of diesel for your first change. DON"T START IT WITH DIESEL IN IT. This usually cleans up the cases good. Then a couple of Walmart oil changes and cheep filters and your good to go. Start saving for a motor rebuild as you will most likly need one soon! My Grizz lasted two rides till it was burning more oil than gas!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My suzuki spent 14 hours under water (tipped off a beaver dam) drained, dried, changed oil/filter & ran 2 min, changed again (same filter) ran 5 mins....Changed oil and filter and all was good....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuo can also rinse out crankcase with a bit of diesel for your first change. DON"T START IT WITH DIESEL IN IT. This usually cleans up the cases good. Then a couple of Walmart oil changes and cheep filters and your good to go. Start saving for a motor rebuild as you will most likly need one soon! My Grizz lasted two rides till it was burning more oil than gas!

I had the same thing happen to me. Diesel flush, then 5 oil changes. Grizz never gave me any problems yet.

Last edited:

nytrobrad

Reaction score
I swamped my grizzly over the weekend as well. I got 4 oil changes so far and its still foamy. Engine code 15 came up after letting it idle. Not sure what that is yet.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I swamped my grizzly over the weekend as well. I got 4 oil changes so far and its still foamy. Engine code 15 came up after letting it idle. Not sure what that is yet.

CODE 15 means....Shoulda bought a honda.....:eek:

tysonlwilliamson

Reaction score
Today I ran cheap oil through it and let it idle. I had to change it 7 times to get the whiteness out of it. I also added new gas and coolant. I got some carb spray and sprayed a little in the air intake with the engine running. The bike fired up on the first try. It seemed like it almost fired up more quickly than in the past. It was a little sluggish at first when I rode it around the yard a few times. Tomorrow I am going to add good oil and a new oil filter. Should I buy a new airfilter? What else do you folks suggest I do? Thanks to everyone for helping me out!!!

Top Bottom