Ran into a Groomer!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to touch on trail etiquette.

Today my wife and I went for a late ride. On the way out we past the groomer and I stopped to explain to her why we don't just jump on the groomed track.

The snow is still soft and hasn't set up, if you ride on it right away it only takes a hand full of sleds to pound it out again. Once its set up over night a hundred sleds can ride it and it will still stay smooth, as long as everyone is thoughtful of their throttle. If you get a few riders blurping it along the way, next thing we know we are all bouncing along as if the groomer was never there at all. A lot of work goes into maintaining the trails, so it would be nice if we all did our part in making them last.

Also if you switch sides to run down the fresh groomed you are likely on the wrong side of the trail and you better hope that nobody comes blitzing down the fresh trail and finds you coming around a corner.

Please give the trail time to set up and ride on the right side of the trail.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why f@&k a groomed trail when there's a whole bowl, chute or tree'd area to wreck. To many throttle jockeys choppin the gas before they even get up the mountain. It's like jerking off before going to the strippers !

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks Andy! Why didn't you stop and say "Hi"?

I thank you very much for your consideration and the fact that you posted to try and educate the masses…….heehaw someone is thinking.

The trail will be baby-butt smooth in the morning.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry we were running a bit late. LOL The snow was to good and we milked it for what it was worth, but had commitments to get home to. It cooled down a bit last night all that wet snow down low should hold up.The trail look like a Zamboni went down it smooth smooth smooth.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How true, if everyone was like that the trail would set up great, I think most just think it NASCAR and drive like ch!t. If everyone was to stay on the rig side of the trail, everyone would be driving slower, if people don't watch. Someone will get hurt.

Giddyup

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much weir! I honestly didn't know about the groomer - groomed trail - snow set up time thing. I will try to be more mindful of this in the future when we meet the groomer on the way home and i'm tempted to hightail it down the freshly smoothed trail :)

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a day of hard riding, being aggressive down the trail is my last thought. I'm usually the one in the back of the pack on the way down, thinking about how nice it would be to have stored a back rest and Harley foot pegs off the side of the trail somewhere that morning ;)

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a person knows why they should let it set up, it makes sense to them and most respect it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
do they groom at night ??? i dont know anything about this groomed stuff 0.o

Yes, ideally. If the groomer can lay down a ribbon (that is the smooth snow coming out the back) and have it freeze (set-up) without any disturbance it can last for nearly 100 sleds (with the moisture content in the snow and the temperatures being ideal). It is a total waste of fuel to groom in the day time and have sleds coming up and down the trail as there is no set-up time for the snow to freeze. Day time grooming will handle maybe 10% of the sleds that a well set-up trail will handle.

If the moguls aren't cut all the way (like on the insides of the corners) and the fill-in snow doesn't get a chance to set-up, guess what? It is just about as rough. There are lots of scenarios and it is interesting.

Anybody who wants to come along for a ride along and see/feel the process you are welcome to PM and I will try and set something up.........even for you Willy...:D

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug I would like to come out one night. Its been a few years since I was in a groomer. I will pm you and try to get some dates that might work Feb is getting booked up fast.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug I would like to come out one night. Its been a few years since I was in a groomer. I will pm you and try to get some dates that might work Feb is getting booked up fast.

No problem and we would appreciate anyone coming out to see the process. The more the word gets out the better the understanding. We try to leave the staging area at 5:00 pm. I groom on Mondays so far but that may change as we progress into spring. It isn't safe to leave vehicle in the staging area as we have experienced some prowlers.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thanks Fernie ! but Willy has been in and around cats for about 30 years :) remember the old tuckers ? lol

If one can run a SnowCat, the learning about the mogul master and trail set-up isn't that difficult. If you want to come for a ride some time you are welcome but no of that Nelson weed is allowed! It is zero tolerance in our SnowCat for drugs and booze.

Top Bottom