Rail Extersions and Big Wheels!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am extending the rails on my 1998 Summit 670X from 136” to 144”. Got a heck of a deal on a track or I would have considered going to a 151”. Anyways, my question is three part:

As for rail extensions is there any advantage of going with the type that extend the hyfax vs. the type that do not? The type of extensions that extend the hyfax are about twice the price!

Next question... Are there any advantages of going with “kick up” extensions and 8” wheels? That leads to another question regarding the number of 8” wheels... Eliminate the two outside ones and go with 2 inside?

My head is starting to hurt now with all of the variables to consider. Thanks for you help.

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
You dont need to use the extentions with the sliders to the end,your not going a great distance so theres no need for them. As for wheels, well the 8" help a bit but I would just stick with the stock wheels and in the same order,unless youve got extra bill and want sum bling. Putting the wheels on the inside is a Polaris thing and is no benifit,when side hilling hard the track folds on the sides. When you mess with the wheels dont forget youl be messing with the spacers in the rear. If you want some more track speed then I would go with exvert drivers and the 8" rear wheels,then you can run your track loose.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It would be a lot more costly with the bigger wheels and expensive "kick ups." The new track is also a 2" lugger as compared to the 1 3/4" stock. I will end up going with a set of 8 tooth extroverts to accommodate it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 on the matter. i went from a 136 to a 151, using 144 rails, and 2 wheel axle kit, I am more than happy how it works in the powder. But id does suck, for ditch banging.

Attachments

• DSCN0321_064.jpg
    DSCN0321_064.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0328_070.jpg
    DSCN0328_070.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 27

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I would go straight to the 151" track..... You will need 1 tooth less drivers for the clearance of a 2" track inside the tunnel around the coolers/drivers.......... Stock 670x track is only 1 3/4" paddles. Go with the rail extensions and bigger wheels and away you go...... Be sure to gear down properly too....

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go straight to the 151" track..... You will need 1 tooth less drivers for the clearance of a 2" track inside the tunnel around the coolers/drivers.......... Stock 670x track is only 1 3/4" paddles. Go with the rail extensions and bigger wheels and away you go...... Be sure to gear down properly too....

Thanks for the info but I already have the 144. It was too good of a price to pass up! Regarding the extroverts though... What brands do you recomend? I know that the ones I need will be 8 tooth, 2.52 pitch, and for a 1 1/4 shaft. I have seen Wahl, Avid, Micro Belmont Engineering... Are there any preferences or benifits of one over the other? Thanks again!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info but I already have the 144. It was too good of a price to pass up! Regarding the extroverts though... What brands do you recomend? I know that the ones I need will be 8 tooth, 2.52 pitch, and for a 1 1/4 shaft. I have seen Wahl, Avid, Micro Belmont Engineering... Are there any preferences or benifits of one over the other? Thanks again!

Micro belmont all the way. I have them on my sled and won't ever use anything else. When you look at the shaft support they are almost double compared to other brands.

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Ive used them before on previous cutomers sleds and had no problem. There a good price and worked just fine.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Maverick stuff is a great product and a good price. I used it all the time till I had to go Avid for the 3 pitch and big hp.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you want to sell the 144 to go to the 151, let me know, I would be interested. :d

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Maverick ones are certainly a lot less costly than all of the other brands. I just can’t seem to find much info on them.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to sell the 144 to go to the 151, let me know, I would be interested. :d

Thanks for the offer but I'll stick with the 144. My wife may just up and kill me if I spend any more money! Here is a pic though:

Attachments

• Track.jpg
    Track.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom