rad relocation

malinowski3

Reaction score
i am new to quads as in i got my first this year and in vids on youtube and stuff i see quads with a rad relocation or where the rad is on the front rack what do these do? is it just alot better cooling? how about running snorkles with it? wow thats alot of questions :d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooling is worse because the rad is leaned over. The advantage is that it stays clean.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooling is worse because the rad is leaned over. The advantage is that it stays clean.

I wouldn't say that cooling is worse,.. because the rad is open to ambient air, rather than being tuck in under a bunch of shields.

For me, instead of relocating my rad, I installed a TCP fan shrond that made a world of difference because the fan is more efficient now.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you ride in muskeg or real slurry clay mud the only salvation is the rad relocate, if your plugged solid your fan can't work hard enough. As soon as you stop riding the mud bakes in the fins and your toast. I ride in the mountians where you usually run into a creek or river that is clean and the rad has no issue, ride around home in the puss mud and your day is long waiting for the quads to quit overheating. I spent the $300 for the brp rad kit and have been happy since, slowly converting the rest of the riding group to relocate their rads also. Nothing worse than only being able to go a couple kms and have to wait for the quad to cool. Happy muddin':beer::)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that cooling is worse,.. because the rad is open to ambient air, rather than being tuck in under a bunch of shields.

For me, instead of relocating my rad, I installed a TCP fan shrond that made a world of difference because the fan is more efficient now.
Well...on my Can Am, it's worse. At low speeds where air flow isn't an issue, it's the same. Most of my riding is slow speed, so a clean rad is best. I noticed right away that cruising at high speeds it's worse. The Can Am front end is designed to flow air through the rad at speed. With the rad on the rack, the fan had to run a lot to keep things cool, where before it would hardly come on during or after a long high speed cruise.

OVERALL cooling is much better of course, because the rad stays clean and, as I said, I ride slow most of the time anyways.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put on a 2nd rad - fan with fan -shroud on the front rack... still kept the stock one.. works awsome.... just hooked up the hoses in series.... just the extra coolant capacity alone helps.... wired up the top fan to a switch and left the stock one on the sensor..... winch works way better cause the fans not taking power when winchin ect...

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well...on my Can Am, it's worse. At low speeds where air flow isn't an issue, it's the same. Most of my riding is slow speed, so a clean rad is best. I noticed right away that cruising at high speeds it's worse. The Can Am front end is designed to flow air through the rad at speed. With the rad on the rack, the fan had to run a lot to keep things cool, where before it would hardly come on during or after a long high speed cruise.

OVERALL cooling is much better of course, because the rad stays clean and, as I said, I ride slow most of the time anyways.

I have the BRP relocate also and find at high speed the fan does run more. But it so nice that it is out of the mud.

Top Bottom