quick diamond drive year question? Please help

2skis

Reaction score
I have a 2008 M8, my buddy has a diamond drive from an 09 he wants to sell me. They look alike in the parts books, but Will it fit in my 08?

Thanks!

grimis99

Reaction score
Yes and no.
The 07-08 used a mechanical reverse but switched to an electronic reverse in 09. I believe it would fit but lose your reverse. a 08 can be rewired for electronic reverse but oil pump will not run as long as u are in reverse, a new helix is needed as well I believe. So to put it simple to keep 100% function it is not straight across swap. Hope this helps

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.
The 07-08 used a mechanical reverse but switched to an electronic reverse in 09. I believe it would fit but lose your reverse. a 08 can be rewired for electronic reverse but oil pump will not run as long as u are in reverse, a new helix is needed as well I believe. So to put it simple to keep 100% function it is not straight across swap. Hope this helps

Its only the 1000 that can be wired to have electronic reverse.

grimis99

Reaction score
I have read that it can be done on an m8 as well but a reflash to 09 specs or a new 09 ECM is needed as well as rewiring pins. 2010 flash would not work. Theres a thread on snowest about the m1000 and a few guys chime in about doing it to m8's as well. Pretty Sure it can be done but for the right amount of $$$$ don't think it's worth it though. .If yours is blown up they are fairly easy to rebuild wouldn't recommend buying parts in Canada at the dealer though, can also use upgraded bdx parts.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read that it can be done on an m8 as well but a reflash to 09 specs or a new 09 ECM is needed as well as rewiring pins. 2010 flash would not work. Theres a thread on snowest about the m1000 and a few guys chime in about doing it to m8's as well. Pretty Sure it can be done but for the right amount of $$$$ don't think it's worth it though. .If yours is blown up they are fairly easy to rebuild wouldn't recommend buying parts in Canada at the dealer though, can also use upgraded bdx parts.
Hah I read the opposite. There is a thread on backcountry rebels about doing the 09 flash and re wiring the 1000s but the 800s won't work. However with the right amount of money, anything can work haha

2skis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I wiggled my secondary to check for play, by that i mean cw and ccw, to me it feels like there is a bit of slop there. Whats normal?

oldy800

Reaction score
Depending on what u need for your diamond drive i may have what u need. let me know.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I wiggled my secondary to check for play, by that i mean cw and ccw, to me it feels like there is a bit of slop there. Whats normal?

Quite a bit actually. Those reverse DD's are notorious for excessive backlash.

Top Bottom