Question About Sled Decks

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck boss decks sit on your box rails, with the option of extra legs support on all 4 corners which I used self tapping screws into the box

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After using and working with Marlon Decks for the last few years I would only EVER bolt the deck to the pick up box using a very strong and thick backing plate, like they do. I have seen guys who have used the truck factory clamps that have pulled through. Again this probably won't happen if your just rocking your deck from home to a flat parking lot with only a smooth dirt road, but if your like me and many sledders who huff their truck up a 4x4 dirt road with 2 sleds or two quads or a uTV then there is a lot of torque on the deck, so bolting it in the the best way. I don't but backing it up to the truck factory clamps is a good idea too!

This is very true, for 10 years Ive only used the trucks 4 corner tiedowns and turnbuckles. The biggest problem with using the 4 corner tie downs is over tightening them. Guys have to remember that those tie downs are to help prevent load shift. Its no different than hauling a load on a lowboy or flatbed trailer, any sudden shift in load can cause a chain or strap to break.

Ive had no issues and I don't bounce my truck down bumpy roads as you mentioned. If I started to travel very rough roads than id bolt the back down with heavy hardware.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good subject and I might have some value to add. I usually end up putting my Marathon deck in myself each fall and it was always a PITA to hold the bolt and tighten the nuts through the bed of the box. Yes you can use vise grips etc. but still PITA. Anyway I upsized the holes to 3/4" bolts and cut the heads off. Drilled through the side of the bolt to fit through clevis pins (I think that's what they are called) Anyway drop the bolt down through and use a piece of angle iron for a washer below, install the pin and then just tighten the nut from up top in the truck box. Way easier and very strong. ps with a cheap Chinese deck I had previously it did sway and needed the turn-buckles but this Marathon does not.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always put at least 2 bolts through so the thieves have to work at stealing the deck. And 4 anchors

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have mine in with turn buckles in the corners,also put jam nuts on the turn buckles,bolts at back going thru the box with plates underneath. for the bolts i welded small plates on them so they sit against the leg and dont allow the bolts to turn when tightening the nuts,making it easy for one person. wired 2 elec plugs at back of deck and made a light on a coily cord that hangs on sled back bumper for light for overhang length

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Bulldog tie downs and they work very well. The deck I have was manufactured in Grande Prarie (can't remeber the name) but it is built to survive WW III. Also I think Bulldog is no longer in business??

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Bulldog tie downs and they work very well. The deck I have was manufactured in Grande Prarie (can't remeber the name) but it is built to survive WW III. Also I think Bulldog is no longer in business??

M LINE decks is GP (wembly) out side of gp. Those decks are built to last

CFRJess

Reaction score
For the past 3 Seasons, I have been attaching my Denali Deck (cheapest decks out there) with heavy duty tie downs only, from each corner of the box to each corner of the deck forming a X on each sides. Hauling 2 sleds more often than not, up rough logging roads and even made it to Alaska from Pemberton the first year I had it! Might seem Sketchy AF but it's been doing it really good, never felt any weird bounce or unbalance and did not even go through the bed liner yet!

Top Bottom