Question about my Scrambler????

tony kaos

Reaction score
Bought a new slip on muffler from FMF (powercore 4) for my scrambler 500 and was immediately told i needed to change the spring in my clutch to compensate for the 10% power increase. called polaris and was told they didnt know what colour spring i would need and the FMF guys were clueless. So my question is is there anyone out htere that can tell me what to do? I tried to contact S&N member Garyese (he owns a modded scrambler) but no reply. could any one help me out here!!!!??????:):):)

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Tony, I do not recall seeing anything.

However, I have two options for you to consider:
  1. This setup should be done to any non EBS Polaris 500 ATV as soon as it is purchased. Change primary spring to Polaris White ($25), set secondary to 2-2 (Free), and correct the belt deflection to 1-1/8" (Free). This will help the launch, correct the upshift and allow for far, far better backshifts.
  2. Install a Team Secondary ($550) with Dalton black/white primary spring ($20), and correct the belt deflection as above. This is the better of the two clutch set ups.
Google Gen3USA for online resources for the Scrambler.

What's the next mod for you? Web Cam? 628cc Kit?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Funny when I put on my pipe on my Brute the dealership told me you dont need to jet it as they run way better with the stock jets.When it comes to aftermarket stuff,you are so right about the dealers being clueless!
Three full jet sizes later!
catmando!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant see why you would need spring changes.

clutch changes are usually dependent on tire size not power increases.
hmmm never heard of such a thing and ive put about 6 cluctches in atv's for alot of reasons but never because of a power increase.

oh and catman. i did the jet kit thing. i ended up using my stock jet because our elevation is above sea level and ends up being perfect after increasing airflow. i ended up changing my needle because i bent the stockone lmao.. they are soft as hell man

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant see why you would need spring changes.

clutch changes are usually dependent on tire size not power increases.
hmmm never heard of such a thing and ive put about 6 cluctches in atv's for alot of reasons but never because of a power increase.

There are entire books written about this subject. If the torque curve changes at all and you don't make a clutching change to match, your pissing in the wind.

OEM clutching is conservative at best on all CVT machines. If all Tony has done is add the slip on, he would have gotton more torque at the wheel with a clutching change. Of cousre, if he does both he should be a happy fella... until the next modding bug gets him.:d

tony kaos

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to reply to all of you but my computer crashed right after i posted this so ive just been able to respond now. LOL. thanks for the info garyese it was very helpful. just one thing what did you mean when you said to set the secondary to 2-2(free) and belt deflection to 1 1/8? thanks

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2-2: In the secondary the spring is locked into place by pretruding through holes. The are several holes on the helix and movable sheeve, all numbered. Re-assemble with the spring on hole #2 on each side.

Belt deflection is how much the belt will deflect when pressed down in between the primary and secondary clutches. Specs say 1-1/4 inches, I say 1-1/8 inches. If belt deflection too little the machine will "creep" while in gear, at idle, and without the brake on. If the belt deflection is too much the bottom end launch and top end speed will suffer. Usually Polaris ships with belt deflection closer to 1-1/2 inches.

Belt deflection is adjusted by adding or removing shims between the helix and fix sheeve. Remove shims to reduce the belt deflection. The scrambler shipped with two shims. Different thickness shims are available at the dealer. Make sure there is at least one shim left in there!

Top Bottom