Question about 03 vertical escape

polaris fan

Reaction score
I have a 2003 vertical escape and i love the sled but just recently heard that the crank bearings and cranks go out really often is this something that i should be worried about? If it is i will probably sell the sled thanx for any info you can give me

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes they have issues about 3500 miles you will have crank problems,time for a rebuild anyways.good servicing and ride it

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RPM in Whitecourt got brand new crank assembly and had cases machined for bigger bearings, before mine blew up for the previous owner of my VE.no vibrations at full throttle,works great.100 to 1 in the tank as well as injection turned up a tad .with Amsoil synthetic .smokeless oil

Taylzee

Reaction score
The big problem on these motors as can be found all over if you do some searching is the PTO end of the crank. The design is not meant to handle any unbalance of the crank or primary clutch. Some people go with machining the cases and going with a big bearing on the PTO end but IHMO the best way to go if you love the chasis is to put the proper crank in with a different PTO end. If you do some searching on the 800 VES twin, you will see what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps!

polaris fan

Reaction score
thanx for the help i will have to look into finding a crank because i love the chassis

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Indy Specialties out of Welch Minn. ask to talk to Indy Dan (Dan Turen)

He builds the best crank in the biz, for these sleds, and it comes with a rock solid warrenty. You can find his shop on e-bay as well

Indy Dan 651-388-9045

I won't say "hope this helps".........IT WILL HELP This in my opinion is the answer to the polaris crank failure problem.....truth be told, it's not the crank that's the problem, it's the chitty cases

Talk with Dan, he'll get ya sorted out

fin69

Reaction score
I have a 2003 vertical escape and i love the sled but just recently heard that the crank bearings and cranks go out really often is this something that i should be worried about? If it is i will probably sell the sled thanx for any info you can give me

That is total true. I have an 04 verticle edge and last year 3510 miles it happened. Awsome sled but rebuild befor you have to replace.
Fin69

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does a typical rebuild cost with adding in that new crank? I dont have the cash available for a sled yet but started looking to see what is out there and like the looks of the RMK's. Seems like this is the only issue with them?

polaris fan

Reaction score
yeah i was kinda wondering what the cost was too don't have a lot of cash to dump into it right now

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my case was sent to that place in Minn. cost at end was $3600 .00 new jugs, pistions,rings ,gaskets ,crank assembly,cases machined .exhaust valves,he did a great job.I got sled for the bill, owner wouldnt pay it.

Taylzee

Reaction score
I got one of Dan's bottom end last year for a friend. We redid the whole motor for $3000.00. The bottom end is about $2000.00. That is case, crank and new clutch.

Would I do it again? YES!

Top Bottom