quads vs dirtbikes

Waxy

Reaction score
what are you doing riding in that senstive area? I not saying its all right to get hammered and ride but I will be the frist to say I will trow a six pack in my quad when going out playing in the mud for a day nothing wrong with that i know my limts. but if these area are so senstive you can bash them for riding their if you are to.

???????????

Why would I have to be riding in the sensitive area to see people doing it? :confused:

I can ride by on the designated trail, see them from single track trails on an overlooking ridge, etc, etc... Hell, you can see them from the trunk road half the time. Simply put I do NOT ride in these areas, 95% of dirtbikers don't. Riding in deep mud and water isn't all that fun on a bike...

As for drinking a six-pack while you're out riding for the day - I'm not the law, and you can do as you wish, I've been known to have a beer or two in the boat myself, but it is illegal, and it is pretty stupid to mix alcohol and ATVs IMHO.

Waxy

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I agree with you 100%. I to have driven by on trails beside sensitive wet areas and seen tracks in the mud beside the lake/pond etc. The pond on the way to Ruby lake heading north on the right side comes to mind. There are tracks along the shore from quads. No reason to go there. There are legit mud holes on the trails themselves that people should stick to to play in. And it is illegal to drink and ride a quad/dirtbike/sled just as with a car/truck. If you are caught your license will be taken away I do believe.

69er

Reaction score
both are very dangerous machines, but you can ride safe and still be hardcore on both, personnaly i think dirtbikes are safer and more fun lol, id rather bail on a bike than a quad, cause the weight difference is substantial

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know i see all this sensitive area preaching all the time on this site and i must say its usually pretty hypocritical because on our camp out i distinctly remember about 20 Quads ripping up and down the river and washing their bikes off in it as well later on.. i also distinctly remember watching someone "not naming names" Jump his ATV off the banks of the river into it we know all these members on this site some may even be moderators "wink wink"..

If thats how people are going to roll then i really don't want to hear the whole environment hugging talk because your definitely on the wrong site for it ..

I'm just putting that out there for you. and honestly the damage a ATV does to a river or a skeg hole is such a joke compared to everything else going on around us.

look at speed boats they can churn a whole lake upside down but no one says jack about that because the politicians are probably the ones driving that boat.

I'm going to leave it there because personally I really don't give a crap either I just don't want to see the hypocritical BS when i know most of the people here do it as well.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ride quads - until 2 loved ones were almost killed on them, that's why i switched to the bike. Yes, you can bail easier, AND..I think i'd rather have a dirtbike land on me then a quad. Dirt biking is more challenging, definitely not for the lazy type....requires alot more skill and thinking in my opinion (coming from someone who has done both) Depends on your riding level as well, if your a motocross racer, or you do jumps/backflips and other crazy stunts on a bike well your probably more likely to break a few bones then if your a casual quad rider, however I have never heard of anyone being killed on a bike.....Hmm so statistically i would have to say bikes are safer!:d

jeremy lusk died in january on a dirt bike...good post. i agree...both quads and dirtbikes have there safer points they are both dangerous overall my opinion quads are a bit more unsafe.

Scrambler3

Reaction score
"look at speed boats they can churn a whole lake upside down ..."

Please expound this statement, with examples.

gofast

Reaction score
Lots of people have died or have been peralized riding both dirt bikes and quads
you just usally hear about quads more is alot of (not all but lots) 4 wheeler a dont wear helmets which would rise the bar in death I have just scean a couple a dirt bike riders with out helmets

Scrambler3

Reaction score
y
look at speed boats they can churn a whole lake upside down but no one says jack about that because the politicians are probably the ones driving that boat.

I'm going to leave it there because personally I really don't give a crap either I just don't want to see the hypocritical BS when i know most of the people here do it as well.

Sorry, just asking for Leonard or anyone else to expound this statement "churning a lake upside down". Most lakes I go on are 20-30 ft deep. Please give facts or statements...

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i personally ride a quad and love it, i used to ride dirtbikes and found that even though i would rather bail off of a bike it seems like you are doing it more often, so in turn you can get hurt just as much on a bike as a quad, one time i was coming over a jump and a friend was coming over the other side and we were involed in a head on colission, i was riding a quad and he was riding a bike, the fenders on my quad stopped my legs and stopped any shards of metal or exploding tire or even one of the forks from the bike from slamming my knees or ankles and possibly permanently injuring me, if i had been riding a bike that would have been both of our fates and since it was only the 2 of us we would have been lying out in that sandpit for hours until someone would have realized something might be wrong. and lying in a field for 6 hours while you are seriously injured, you could go into shock and possibly die. so in my opinion my quad actually saved my life that day. i still ride quads and wipe out sometimes but i have not yet got injured riding my 440 and its landed on me before. now it might just be that im 6 foot 7 and 320 pounds is the reason it didnt bother me when its landed on me however i see the guys i ride with riding dirtbikes and when they wipe out it hurts, i know my limits and the limits of my quad and i wont be doing any backflips or anything of that nature, so in my opinion it is the rider and not the ride, so if your quad or bike lands on you, its probably because you were doing something you shouldnt have. you know what you are getting into when you hop on one of these machines and need to realize there will be consequences for your actions.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats how people are going to roll then i really don't want to hear the whole environment hugging talk because your definitely on the wrong site for it ..

I'm just putting that out there for you. and honestly the damage a ATV does to a river or a skeg hole is such a joke compared to everything else going on around us.

And we have a part of the problem. If you think that running a quad through a river does next to nothing, you are clueless. Go find a river. Go fishing. Ride your quad through. Go fishing again. Notice a difference?

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just asking for Leonard or anyone else to expound this statement "churning a lake upside down". Most lakes I go on are 20-30 ft deep. Please give facts or statements...

Dillberry LAke Ab, south of Lloyd. Small lake to begin with, outboard ski boats ruined the body of the lake now people have to do circles in 2 small bays on each side of the lake and i mean small. Trout fishings f**ked so are the beaches- weeds bing the biggest problem from the bottom being churned up.

rounder

Reaction score
ok ill chime in on the environment issue. im far from a tree hugger but for the love of pete why cant people clean up their own f*&*ing mess. feel free to pack out what you bring in. as the saying goes your mother is not here do it yourself!!!!!!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did last week 2hrs later i caught a 2lb rainbow out of the same hole.

walk through a hole and you will have the same problem.

Waxy

Reaction score
you know i see all this sensitive area preaching all the time on this site and i must say its usually pretty hypocritical because on our camp out i distinctly remember about 20 Quads ripping up and down the river and washing their bikes off in it as well later on.. i also distinctly remember watching someone "not naming names" Jump his ATV off the banks of the river into it we know all these members on this site some may even be moderators "wink wink"..

Don't think it wasn't noticed either, people were complaining and asking questions about SnowandMud on at least two other forums that I'm on...

Waxy

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW.. Here it is.....It really is very simple machines do not hurt people the operators of the machines hurt poeple. it does not matter what it is.Know your limits and ride within them.Accidents will happen it is a fact of life. as for the environmental problem I wonder what impact building a five star resort with an 18 hole golf course has on the environment.:realmad:

Top Bottom