quad loading option on newer f150's ... very cool

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here, I've driven the forestry trunk road lots with my tailgate down and haven't seen any rock chips on my old Canyon or my HD. ...but I've always had mud flaps.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with you guys on the chipped tailgate thing. Very rare to get a chip just from having the gate down.

Case in point my friend has an '08 F-250 shortbox.....

.....Maybe if you don't have mudflaps you may get more, but I doubt it. My brother's truck has no flaps and he runs mud tires.

The 250 and 350's since about 09 don't have the lip on the top-rear side of the tailgate like the F150's have. They square up more to the bottom of the tires when left down and the gravel peppers the lip, chipping the paint

Happened right away on my 09 F150, with mud flaps.

Haven't done much gravel with the tailgate down with my 2016 F150 but the lip doesn't go all the way across like the 09 I had

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking it won’t be long before those ramps get ever so slightly bowed and won’t telescope in and out any more, and I agree that those threaded knobs look very awkward, should be a better storage solution for a factory set up.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and daughter both drive a new F150 with the ramp option.
It is very well made and strong.
They use them often.
I wish my pickup had them.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with you guys on the chipped tailgate thing. Very rare to get a chip just from having the gate down.

Case in point my friend has an '08 F-250 shortbox that he has had a truck camper in which was made for a long box for 5 years now. He left the gate on. Not one chip. I have about 100 chips in mine and they are all from towing trailers on gravel. I rarely drive with it down.

The rocks hit the trailer and bounce forward. My brother leaves his down all the time hauling his atv and rarely tows anything. Hardly a chip in his '04 Chevrolet.

Maybe if you don't have mudflaps you may get more, but I doubt it. My brother's truck has no flaps and he runs mud tires.

Maybe new trucks are better for this? I dunno. As a teenager we took a lot of paint out of my old mans f-350 and caught **** for leaving it down. Then I did it again with my old S-10 (though I had care level of zero with that POS). C'est la vie.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck box could be longer then the tail gate could close, I tried front tires of quad up on my tool box as it sucks since I can't access my tools on one side and food stash on the other, Ha.

Next the box could be wider as its nice to pack extra gear along side of a quad when camping like I do,,, the reason for a truck box is too have it pack the whole show for a few days in the back woods.

Small box does not allow for gas jugs Cooler, BBQ, and hockey bag of extra gear.

At least the back seat is there, a full time bed, office, rec center, living room in my case. Yes my 1000 Watt gen set is behind the drivers seat for easy access, but it's nice if they enlarge things a bit.

Then again one could look at the 1 ton option as well.

I'm always changing things around to pack what I can, now that winter time is here,,, it raises my back seat bed up another 4" with extra warm riding gear.

The tail gate slide thing is good till one backs into a tree or power pole, and sliding ramp work good till they bend in half.

I have my ramps under my quad sitting on 4" of frozen clay so there is no pin or bolt to loose, spring pin idea is faster and one won't loose them as they are in place ready at all times.

Solid ramps with traction bars are nice when dealing with mud, snow and ice. Fold out curved ramps as they can handle more weight too,,, the curve makes them strong and allows the approach of attack at less angle,,, this is better when loading street and dual sport bikes.

Still a good set-up, but a homemade system by the person is much more frugal as the saved funds go to gas for time spent riding.

At least I see it this way as quality time lost in the trees makes for a fun outting as our friends try to find us. LOL

Pal Don reporting from homemade F-150 cabin on wheels

PS: And my 7 months of running with tail gate down makes the darn thing look its been threw a war zone. Big rock chips, dints, missing paint and a small bent lip from backing into a tree, "it was the truck and trees fault when that happened, Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: LID

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just checked the Ford Canada website and it's a $650.38 option, that's a lot of cash for two loading ramps!

EDIT: just looked closer and to order the ramp option you also have to order the "box link" bracket option, so the total cost is $885.00!!!

Last edited:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F that, why buy a truck if you're going to be a namby pamby? Go get a girly sports car or minivan if you aren't all about pretending to be gravedigger 24/7.

:beer:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you could just Not run into things?

No, I have too back into things too find out if its solid or not, my science teacher in school told me that science is always finding new discoveries, so I've been experimenting with pick-up truck tail gates.

Mass over traction and speed travelled = impact + damage in the spectrum of momentum,,, other wize known as backing into stuff that improves the quality of a good used Ford. Ha

Lem

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a waste of 800 bucks. Have a 2012 Ram 2500, have to drive with the gate down with a quad. Have mudflaps, still chipped to s***.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These work on all the new aluminum trucks, f150 and superduty. if you had an 6.8 foot or 8 foot box you could close the gate with most quads. plus i have gotten more rock chips on my tailgate from towing trailers without rock guards than i have leaving the gate down. my old travel trailer was horrible for rocks bouncing back into the truck.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the rain after a wet and muddy ride their rear wheel drive only Raptors don't even spin at all going up the ramps.
So they have ample traction.

Top Bottom