Quad Battery completely died, no voltage at all in it.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Been riding all spring no problems, then I left the key on for 3 days and found the battery completely dead. Hooked a booster to it, quad started fine but the battery wouldn't build up any charge so I kept having to boost it.
I pulled the battery out, stuck it on a trickle charger, but nothing would go in, 0 amps. I took a volt meter across the battery terminals, read 0 Volts. Nothing. Nada. Ziltch.

This battery worked fine until 3 days ago, I refuse to believe that killing it once can result in this and am thinking that there must be an internal connection loose in the battery. Not just one bad cell (would read 10V), but the battery post has come completely disconnected from the internals somehow. The quad wasn't moved, didn't do anything to it other than an oil change after the last ride. Bloody replacement battery is $154. There was nothing wrong with the old one! Does not compute!

Anyone else had this happen? I'm gonna pry it open tonight and see if I can fix it.

The battery is a YTZ7S, good shape, no corrosion, fairly new (I think), and it's on a 2008 Raptor 250.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being that it is a 2008, it was probally not in great shape tha the complete discharge just pushed it ove the edge...

Is it a sealed unit with a vent, or can you open it up and view the plates...if you can and are able to see dry plates in more then one of the cells, it's toast....

FYI on our 450 sport quads we count are selfs lucky to get two to three years out of a battery, they get bounced around a lot and we remove them and store the batteries on a trickle charger over the winter..

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running your battery dead once probably won't kill it. However, they definitely don't like to be run dead which may explain why your aging battery may have died after being run completely dead. If you have a constant voltage source, you may be able to revive a sealed gel cell battery by hooking a constant voltage source to it and craning the voltage higher and higher until it pops and the current meter spikes. ...although just buying a new battery is probably a lot safer.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go prying a battery open. I'd be shopping around for a replacement.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a $154 is too much for you to replace a battery that well served it purpose then powersports is the wrong hobby for you. And as another guy said its an 08, that battery is damn near 6 years old if you think about it, 2014's are coming out right now so......... You may have only killed it once but it has been starting that quad for a long time and the killing of it was bound to happen soon

Been riding all spring no problems, then I left the key on for 3 days and found the battery completely dead. Hooked a booster to it, quad started fine but the battery wouldn't build up any charge so I kept having to boost it.
I pulled the battery out, stuck it on a trickle charger, but nothing would go in, 0 amps. I took a volt meter across the battery terminals, read 0 Volts. Nothing. Nada. Ziltch.

This battery worked fine until 3 days ago, I refuse to believe that killing it once can result in this and am thinking that there must be an internal connection loose in the battery. Not just one bad cell (would read 10V), but the battery post has come completely disconnected from the internals somehow. The quad wasn't moved, didn't do anything to it other than an oil change after the last ride. Bloody replacement battery is $154. There was nothing wrong with the old one! Does not compute!

Anyone else had this happen? I'm gonna pry it open tonight and see if I can fix it.

The battery is a YTZ7S, good shape, no corrosion, fairly new (I think), and it's on a 2008 Raptor 250.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try real hard to purchase only batteries that can be serviced, ie ones that are meant to be opened up, by adding distilled water and keeping them topped up, I have tractor batteries that are 12 years old and still working, our ski Doo touring sledwe use on the farm, is a 1997, it still has the factory battery, every off season, it comes out and get's serviced and stuck on a trickle charger....

Water evporates out of the electrolyte under the nomal charge discharge process, over charged or under charged batteries the water level increases and then evaporates, thuass shortening the life of the battery, a built in buy a new one process..........sealed lead acid batteries are throw aways....

I did look at the gel cell batteries for the race quads but the last time I looked I could buy three lead acid batteries for the price of one sealed vented lead acid battery....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be sure and video tape this procedure and post it here.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a brand new battery never even had the electrolyte put in yet if your interested

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Got a new one from Blackfoot Motorsports today.

The old one is only about 2 years old. It worked just fine before, cranked over fast, never ran out of juice. I've had dead batteries before, they still have ~10-11 volts, and put out a little bit of energy and take a little bit of a charge. This one has zero volts, won't take any charge at all (it's like its not even connected to the charger), and won't even light up the Neutral light for a half second. I've never seen a battery fail this way before, and neither has the tech at Blackfoot. It really seems like the connection inside has come loose. Being a sealed unit, this will be tough to get into.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
If a $154 is too much for you to replace a battery that well served it purpose then powersports is the wrong hobby for you. And as another guy said its an 08, that battery is damn near 6 years old if you think about it, 2014's are coming out right now so......... You may have only killed it once but it has been starting that quad for a long time and the killing of it was bound to happen soon

$154 just seems like a rip off cause this battery is the size of my knuckle. I can get a 27T deep cycle battery for $115 which is 10 times the size and holds 25 times the charge. On ebay, you can find the things for $30 in the USA, but they can't ship to Canada, go figure.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$154 just seems like a rip off cause this battery is the size of my knuckle. I can get a 27T deep cycle battery for $115 which is 10 times the size and holds 25 times the charge. On ebay, you can find the things for $30 in the USA, but they can't ship to Canada, go figure.

It is a rip off, you can blame it on suppy and demand or the fact that there are fewer companies making the smaller batteries, so the ones that do get to charge what they want ....

We were racing in the US and needed to buy a battery for our practice Quad....bought one of the cheap ones from a dealer in California, found out cheap is cheap, it didnt last a year, the weight of the cheap battery vs the ones we bought up here, the cheap one was quite a bit lighter....

Some how you must of craked the conector to the plates, it wasnt cold enough to freeze? you dindt drop it ?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man fooling around with sulfuric acid, is not nice at the best of times, for $150 i'd be buying a new battery, leave the repair job to someone else. up to you but i don't see the upside at all.

Top Bottom