pulling a load with a Dodge 2500/3500 hemi

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just priced out a 07 3500 dodge with 75000 k on it. I know the tranny on these dodges diesels are a weak link how to tell early signs of problems?

getoutofmyway

Reaction score
Just priced out a 07 3500 dodge with 75000 k on it. I know the tranny on these dodges diesels are a weak link how to tell early signs of problems?

My 05' would jog gears.... This is a selenoid issue and is easily repaired. The valve body went eventually $1750 for a rebilt from nadp and back on the road.

One thing to look at on the dodges is the rear quarter like the old fords (74-79) are a welded seam and are subject to rust. No way of cleaning them out and preventing the rust :(

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One big thing to look for on a used diesel is mods like exhaust, intake, chips. A lot of times one means the others. Chips will eat the stock trannies alive. A good indication is holes in the exhaust manifold or anywhere in that area that means signs of a pyrometer. 99% of the time, if one was added it was chipped. Or if there is a hole capped, almost gaurenteed chipped. Problem is to, sometimes the tranny will only slip with a chip, but still seem fine stock. It's tough to tell but looking at the oil, holding the brakes and see if the truck will move and overpower the brakes good sign if the tranny is weak. But other then that just seeing how it shifts will mean a lot.

The hemi has it's place, it will tow ok but it is nowhere near the power of a cummins. If you tow even heavy rarely it will do just fine.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I towed with my hemi power wagon for 3 years.
Hard on gas and constantly shifting...
10 mpg towing the toyhauler

Tomorrow I pick up a 2008 3500 Dodge diesel...This should work better

If your new truck has the 6.7 you won't be dissapointed with the torque and hp when towing. It is night and day difference over the hemi! How big is your toy hauler? You might still only get 10 mpg towing but it won't slow down for hills unless you want to! Let us know how it works for you.

Good luck with your new truck!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your new truck has the 6.7 you won't be dissapointed with the torque and hp when towing. It is night and day difference over the hemi! How big is your toy hauler? You might still only get 10 mpg towing but it won't slow down for hills unless you want to! Let us know how it works for you.

Trailer is a tri axle raptor bumper pull,,13000 lbs loaded to the nutz with a rzr and quad inside

It is a 6.7 L

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One big thing to look for on a used diesel is mods like exhaust, intake, chips. A lot of times one means the others. Chips will eat the stock trannies alive. A good indication is holes in the exhaust manifold or anywhere in that area that means signs of a pyrometer. 99% of the time, if one was added it was chipped. Or if there is a hole capped, almost gaurenteed chipped. Problem is to, sometimes the tranny will only slip with a chip, but still seem fine stock. It's tough to tell but looking at the oil, holding the brakes and see if the truck will move and overpower the brakes good sign if the tranny is weak. But other then that just seeing how it shifts will mean a lot.

The hemi has it's place, it will tow ok but it is nowhere near the power of a cummins. If you tow even heavy rarely it will do just fine.

Easy there cowboy!! The Edge Juice with attitude actually helps you save your tranny. You set it to back off the chip in percentages till its stock. To add to that you can have it beep at you at any torque slip or clutch slip. Stock tranny and torque cannot overpower your brakes. Temp spike while trying this can show you slippage, also seen through a attitude gauge pack.

Just my .05

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy there cowboy!! The Edge Juice with attitude actually helps you save your tranny. You set it to back off the chip in percentages till its stock. To add to that you can have it beep at you at any torque slip or clutch slip. Stock tranny and torque cannot overpower your brakes. Temp spike while trying this can show you slippage, also seen through a attitude gauge pack.

Just my .05

If you believe what the gauge tells you lol. The only thing relieable on the edge readings is EGT and it's still not great. Boost, trany slip, engine load, etc are all a joke and useless. I have compared it to real gauges, and the edge is NOT relieable. I have personally FELT my clutch slipping and the edge didn't have any idea. And, your adding extra power to a auto or stick clutch that is menial at best for stock levels, extra power will kill either one of them. You don't put the brakes to the floor, just a bit and see how much the tranny can overpower. Tough to explain, but it's great if you know what your looking for.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you believe what the gauge tells you lol. The only thing relieable on the edge readings is EGT and it's still not great. Boost, trany slip, engine load, etc are all a joke and useless. I have compared it to real gauges, and the edge is NOT relieable. I have personally FELT my clutch slipping and the edge didn't have any idea. And, your adding extra power to a auto or stick clutch that is menial at best for stock levels, extra power will kill either one of them. You don't put the brakes to the floor, just a bit and see how much the tranny can overpower. Tough to explain, but it's great if you know what your looking for.

I concur,.. EJA runs hotter EGT than say a smarty jr, sr

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

your gauges are a guideline just like on a sled. To use them you have to know what your watching. The backdown feature has worked for me for years pulling a full load 34 footer at max 14000 lbs. Stock it would run 1450 sometimes on egt so that was my base and set to 1500 backdown.

Not hard to explain a brakestand. If there are rpm fluctuations on a auto under "brakestand" conditions you have huge issues.

The edge chip and gauges have saved my bacon, i have a 2000 and a 2005 cummins and both are healthy.

lilyellafella

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a '07 Hemi and sold it for a '10 Diesel. Now we can actually afford to take a holiday ;)

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailer is a tri axle raptor bumper pull,,13000 lbs loaded to the nutz with a rzr and quad inside

It is a 6.7 L

Sweet sounding trailer! You are going to love your new truck/trailer combination!

When our "red neck 5th wheel toy hauler" is loaded it is around the same weight. I stopped at a scale and the truck and trailer combo was just about 21,000lbs. Behind the slip tank I pack as much as I can into the bed of the truck to help it ride better...the truck barely touches the over loads though. The truck will pull most of the time in 6th gear but when I get into some hills I put it into 5th at the bottoms to avoid a full throttle down shift (say if you are using cruise control...if you are under manual throttle then you can back off for down shifts or if no one is following behind...or you can slow down climbing hills so you are not using every ounce of engergy the truck can deliver lol). I found that I can save a lot of fuel if you travel at times when there is less or no traffic...then you can just putz up hills and no one is behind you cursing! lol

I have an Edge that you can set an alert to warn you if some parameters are being exceeded. The first time it went off it alerted me that the transmission temps were rising. I was pulling our toy hauler into the foothills west of Water Valley...lots of soft steep rough roads so you have to go slow. I was letting the truck shift the way it wanted to while in tow/haul mode to give it a fair test. It did very well keeping the speed under control (in conjunction with the VGT brake) and pulling the hills except for going real slow. The truck would shift into second gear, but when I shifted into 1st the slightly higher rpm helped to cool it down below 200 degrees in a few seconds.

An aux transmission cooler would be a good investment I believe. One of the guys I know bought a second stock transmission cooler and stacked it in series on his 6.7 truck. He later did the same thing with the power steering cooler. Nice mod and it fits like the factory did it...there is just enough room. All you need are the coolers, longer bolts, some connector hoses and clamps to make it work. I plan on doing this mod to our truck at some point.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your gauges are a guideline just like on a sled. To use them you have to know what your watching. The backdown feature has worked for me for years pulling a full load 34 footer at max 14000 lbs. Stock it would run 1450 sometimes on egt so that was my base and set to 1500 backdown.

Not hard to explain a brakestand. If there are rpm fluctuations on a auto under "brakestand" conditions you have huge issues.

The edge chip and gauges have saved my bacon, i have a 2000 and a 2005 cummins and both are healthy.

I will completely explain it. The edge does not respond fast enough to peak which is extremely important for egts. If you really hit 1600 the edge might only show 1450-1500 because it's to slow and will not show you the real max temp because by the time it near there the egts are already lowering. I had autometer gauges, and a edge on the same truck, they vary quite a bit. I would only trust the edge if I set the alarm at 1300. Anything over 1450 and you are playing russian roulette with your engine. Boost same thing, the edge showed such low boost for me, it was incredible how far off it was.

This is not a isolated incident, search anywhere the only REAL way to moniter close is gauges. The edge is ok for a tiny bit of extra power and not push the truck but otherwise you are risking a lot to save a few pennies.

As I said it's hard to explain, but holding the brakes and giving it some throttle help a ton to determine the condition of the transmission. I have proved it to myself time and time again.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle, do you run a 5.9CTD?

The 6.7 can run all day long at 1600 degrees. The pistons were designed to run that hot to help the emission system burn the soot out of the DPF. I have found my Edge to be pretty accurate when compared along with analog gauges. They have updated many things over the years since they started building tuners for the 5.9. People should stop lumping everything they have experienced with their 5.9s to the newer 6.7. A lot of simple diesel science is the same but there are many differences in the newer engine.

One can get different EGT probes..."fast" ones and "slow" ones. Fast ones react quickly to temperature changes. Slow ones react slower. You can use both kinds for tuning but you use different testing methods for each type. I always use slow probes as I am usually not trying to run a machine on the ragged edge before melt down. Unless you are racing most people will be perfectly fine with slow probes whether it is in a sled, quad, truck or what ever machine they are monitoring the EGTs on. Actually fast probes can make some machines harder to tune.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 07 Ram Quad Cab Shortbox 2500 Hemi with 3:73 gears. Averaged 15mpg empty and with the 128liter tank would get 700km.

Leduc to Kelowna easy on a tank.

My cousins 07 2500 hemi averages 18-20 on the highway with CAI, chip and exhaust. I wanna know which way you get to Kelowna in 700km? I go 2-3 times a year minimum and the shortest way I know of is 850KM(from Leduc), I would love to drop another 100km+ of my trip!!!

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousins 07 2500 hemi averages 18-20 on the highway with CAI, chip and exhaust. I wanna know which way you get to Kelowna in 700km? I go 2-3 times a year minimum and the shortest way I know of is 850KM(from Leduc), I would love to drop another 100km+ of my trip!!!

Should have explained that better.

I would average 700km in Alberta with avaerge speed of 120kmhr. When going to the Okanogan mileage would increase once in B.C. because of lower speeds so making it to Kelowna was easy. You're right about Kelowna being 850km from Leduc if you go through Olds to Cochrane and then turn at Sicamous going to Vernon/Kelowna.

I wish I knew a way to get there in 700km.:beer:

Top Bottom