Pull behind holiday trailer.......need advice please

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my jayco swift 264 bunk house. It's pretty light (5500 with a bit of water and our stuff in it). Probably not the toughest trailer but it suits us nicely. A slide would be nice for extra living space on those crummy days but then again saves a fair bit of weight. It was only about 20k with extra warranty etc in Airdrie.

Pecos

Reaction score
Arctic/Desert Fox are probably the best out there. BUT I'm a picky bugger when it comes to trailers and IMHO, they are ALL junk.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Arctic/Desert Fox are probably the best out there. BUT I'm a picky bugger when it comes to trailers and IMHO, they are ALL junk.

I get the point; some are better junk than others, eh! It will be tough decision but I have all summer to think and plan. I will buy one in the late fall when the discounts are the greatest. Sure, the selection isn't the best but there will be one out there that will suit our desires.

All of the input so far has been great and for that I thank all of you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We toured so many trailers we had no idea what we had looked at!!! Finally decided on a floor plan we wanted/liked, which eliminated about 90% of the trailers being sold. Way less stressful, alot less sales bs. Made for easier choices

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 26BHL Kingsport by Gulfstream, it has been a great trailer until the floor lifted and no warranty :rant: I had the chassis lifted, so I could pull it in the bush with no worries of the plumbing. I bought it new in 05 and is a good trailer, that is 1/2 ton towable. If I was to look at buying another one, I would seriously look at Arctic Fox.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We toured so many trailers we had no idea what we had looked at!!! Finally decided on a floor plan we wanted/liked, which eliminated about 90% of the trailers being sold. Way less stressful, alot less sales bs. Made for easier choices

So true.

We are sort of there; the first priority is the floor plan. We want a little room when the weather is the pits outside. Interior wardrobes that will hold and dry sledding gear (I can build something if I have to). A place to watch TV other than a nook. A tub/shower combo. The little things can be had on any of them (air, solar, awnings, etc.).

It will be a fun summer looking and comparing.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true.

We are sort of there; the first priority is the floor plan. We want a little room when the weather is the pits outside. Interior wardrobes that will hold and dry sledding gear (I can build something if I have to). A place to watch TV other than a nook. A tub/shower combo. The little things can be had on any of them (air, solar, awnings, etc.).

was just my experience mind you but after looking at a half dozen or so trailers we had no idea what the first one looked like, every sales man was doing his best to sell you something, they didn't care what. most of the trailers looked real cheaply built, and were. take your time, find a few you like. as you will have a long time hating the ones you compromised on.
my advise don't settle for anything that you can't live with as you will hate every day you see the pos.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
was just my experience mind you but after looking at a half dozen or so trailers we had no idea what the first one looked like, every sales man was doing his best to sell you something, they didn't care what. most of the trailers looked real cheaply built, and were. take your time, find a few you like. as you will have a long time hating the ones you compromised on.
my advise don't settle for anything that you can't live with as you will hate every day you see the pos.
That makes sense...... When we (no longer we) bout the trailer. We went to all of the shows, and the vultures were all over us, because we were looking at new and 1/2T towable. In 05 you could get one with a slide that was 1/2T towable. Finally found one with the bed up front, kid in the back on the bunks and don't need to make the table into a bed. The floor plan was the selling feature.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So true.

Use that form I posted Doug, it made our life so much easier!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U know doug u can come here and sled and don't need no trailer ,

When we had a big toy hauler , figured we could haul 3 163 inside, bring gas ect

But the salt would just fawk the trailer as there not made for it at all , the trying to dry the sledding gear ( with out killing the furnace and or the geny running a heater to dry stuff)

It made no sense

sent while I should be drinking tea's

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have heard Leisure RV in millet is not a good place to buy an RV.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug, another couple things to look for regarding storage:

1. as often the weather is crap in our parts, look for inside storage for shoes and coats near the door. So many trailers have nothing.
2. look for ample cupboards and drawers. so many trailers cut back in this department.
3. long wide cupboards such as overhead storage should have dividers as so many will have nothing and all your stuff will fly around when you hit the brakes.

Finally and most important! If you camp at campgrounds, try and find a trailer that has many windows on the door side so you can look out on to your own campsite and not your neighbours. This proves to be very difficult this day and age as so many trailers are almost completely dark on the entrance side as this is where you find most kitchen and fridges. I would really like the kitchen and fridge to slide out on the far side and have a dinette on the entrance side with a great big window. This has been very difficult to find.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The toy hauler we had, had the fridge in the middle , and hot water tank and furnace on the other side of trailer than entry

U didn't have to worry about the furnace ect, starting something on fire like bbq, ect under awning

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with teth air about storage,also if your like me watch for outside storage for chairs,barbecue,blocking,etc.when pulling a trailer storage on the trailer is something i feel is important so the stuff you need stays with the trailer and you always have it

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
U know doug u can come here and sled and don't need no trailer ,

When we had a big toy hauler , figured we could haul 3 163 inside, bring gas ect

But the salt would just fawk the trailer as there not made for it at all , the trying to dry the sledding gear ( with out killing the furnace and or the geny running a heater to dry stuff)

It made no sense

The trailer would be more for summer/fall camping. I doo have you in the front of my mind for sicamous sledding if we can put it together to get out there. Better half has to quit work first then there will be more time.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know a lot about trailers but always been told. Not to get one with kitchen right on the back end. Apparently stuff flies around like that.

From everyone I've talked to jaycos are cheap for a reason. Travelaire is top notch if you're buying older or brand new

Not what many people want, but id love one of these bad boys.
http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ld-Commercial-site-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ576916897

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug, another couple things to look for regarding storage:

1. as often the weather is crap in our parts, look for inside storage for shoes and coats near the door. So many trailers have nothing.
2. look for ample cupboards and drawers. so many trailers cut back in this department.
3. long wide cupboards such as overhead storage should have dividers as so many will have nothing and all your stuff will fly around when you hit the brakes.

Finally and most important! If you camp at campgrounds, try and find a trailer that has many windows on the door side so you can look out on to your own campsite and not your neighbours. This proves to be very difficult this day and age as so many trailers are almost completely dark on the entrance side as this is where you find most kitchen and fridges. I would really like the kitchen and fridge to slide out on the far side and have a dinette on the entrance side with a great big window. This has been very difficult to find.

This drives us nuts too with the new builds. Some barely have a littel kitchen window to look out. A big flaw in my opinion.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider some of the Canadian manufacturers. They may not exist anymore, but you can still find 2007's and 2008's in excellent condition and they are built SOLID. Many with touring/winter packages and materials good for our climate. Okanagan, Topaz by Triple E to name a couple.

Top Bottom