Pull behind holiday trailer.......need advice please

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We are going to buy a new, small, pull behind holiday trailer (about 26' and not a 5th wheel). We know nothing about the various brands that are available and we would like the people who are using holiday trailers to comment on what they feel are the best three brands giving pros and cons about each brand. We will use it on some gravel roads, forestry roads, paved roads, random camping, campsite camping with extended stays, winter sledding, and some longer trips. I saw a new trailer yesterday that had the plumbing hanging down way too low (IMHO) and it just looked like potential trouble.

You guys know your stuff and will tell it like it is. I respect that! So get at it and tell us what you think are the pros and cons of 3 brands/models.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll want one that has the heated underbelly,enclosed tanks,thermal windows for winter use.You can have the axles flipped for higher clearance.For me an out door kitchen is a really nice feature.You want at least one large slide,upgraded matress as they usually put in junk.Solar panel on the roof with dual 6v batteries.As far as brand and price you get what you pay for you can spend from 20k new to 40k for same general rig but quality costs.Either way get it in writing that the axles are not bent from the factory there has been a lot of that in the last 10 years.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned several brands over the years, and my next one will be a Arctic Fox, very good build quality, a four season rv....and they really hold their value, you really get what you pay for

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The local trailer repair guy will tell you to buy a trailer that has tin on the sides compared to a solid wall. They are easier to fix if there are issues. Best bet is go talk to Steve at snowy Peaks(250-423-4523) and he will give you lots of great advise on what to stay away from and what to consider to buy.Also if you buy one ask if any warranty can be done at SNowy Peaks. Lots of the dealers will say no but some will say yes. My trailer is a Jayco and has tin wall which is great. A recent wind storm picked up my costco tent and slammed it into the front of the trailer and Steve will be replacing a section of the front due to one of the support pieces from the tent ripping a hole in the tin.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fernie go take a look at WIND RIVER they are a true 4 season trailer and come with solar panels the plumbing is enclosed, that is going to be my next trailer and the floor plans are nice layouts

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had a few trailer built by Forest River. If you google it you will find they make a lot of brands. The reality is only a few companies make all the trailers.

We have a 140 watt solar panel and 2 6 volt batteries. Run a power inverter and you can watch tv or movies without a generator.

A black tank built in back flush connection is good for cleaning out the tank.

Get get a good receiver hitch and sway controller.

Your truck should have the built in electric brake control.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin has an Arctic Fox and that is what I will be buying next time I upgrade. They sit up high as well and look pretty good for use in the backcountry Doug.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arctic Fox are good but spendy My Jayco has been flawless though, for the price point it's hard to beat Jayco IMO. Look south at Mardens trailer sales in Havre Mt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been very happy with our Jayco, only complaint is that it sits quite low. It is a Jay Feather with fibreglass hardwalls, the Jay Flights are tin and sit a lot higher. We have torsion axles which ride a lot better but are also much tougher to lift than a simple leaf spring flip like with most trailers. As low as ours sits we haven't ever hung it up getting into a spot and if you look at some of the trailers that sit quite high the plumbing is so low they are no better off than us.

Like above whenever we upgrade it will be to an Arctic Fox. With your construction background Doug you will be appalled at the build quality of RV's.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd buy one with wheels, and a hitch, probably a bed, fridge etc.......

LOTS of options out there Doug.....

When we went to the RV show this year I made the attached sheets, and always got brochures from the dealers and the persons card.

View attachment RV Show Worksheet.pdf

Unfortunately we had to upgrade the truck before we could buy the RV we wanted so its on hold, and we just picked up another used one for now.

The one we really liked was this one: Cruiser RV, Fun Finder F-242BDS
F-242BDS_07d5d82947216e4628187750a74fb96b.jpg

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an arctic fox ( and so does my dad ) and would by one again in an instant Or a desert fox as my next unit will probably be a toy hauler
true 4 season unit built for off road (advertised in there brochures )
they only piping you can see under my trailer is the 6" of the sewer discharge
They are a heavy trailer and unlike a lot of the other rv mfg who use the lippert frames they actually build there own frames And use heavier axles with shocks on all wheels
they come with a extras like per wired for solar panels ( took about an hour max for a complete install)

With rv trailers you get what you pay for lots cheap junk out there

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
(higher n you) on the site knows trailers better than most and may be able to give you some insight.....i love my little salem. pretty sure its a forest river. for its size its very well equipped

Central101

Reaction score
30 ft travelaire Kustom Coach all season bumber pull | travel trailers, campers | Red Deer | Kijiji

This is my trailer, give a call if you are interested Doug, as the ad says i bought this unit for a hired hand to stay in year round,(foreign worker) but he never showed up. had it now for three years thinking i may use it, but never have. ( well it was close a couple times, according to the according to the wife haha) but i do know this trailer is loaded and is a very well kept unit that may or may not suit your needs, but something to look at and compare if nothing else.. good luck, there is lots of choices out there!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
30 ft travelaire Kustom Coach all season bumber pull | travel trailers, campers | Red Deer | Kijiji

This is my trailer, give a call if you are interested Doug, as the ad says i bought this unit for a hired hand to stay in year round,(foreign worker) but he never showed up. had it now for three years thinking i may use it, but never have. ( well it was close a couple times, according to the according to the wife haha) but i do know this trailer is loaded and is a very well kept unit that may or may not suit your needs, but something to look at and compare if nothing else.. good luck, there is lots of choices out there!!

Thanks for all the replies so far. This unit, ^^^^^^^^, is a sweet deal but it is way too big for what we are looking for.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With all the fingers pointing toward Arctic Fox, I have an initial question:

Northwood is the manufacturer and it appears they make Arctic Fox, Nash and Snow River among others. Are the Nash and Snow River lower in value or higher in value than the Arctic Fox models?

At this point in time I am not phoning a salesman for pricing and prices have not been listed on the web-sites that I have visited. Thanks again..:d

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arctic fox is the high line, 4 seasons

Nash is lower value line, mabe 3 seasons but 2 forsure , depending on how much insulation, heating ect it has

Only thing is the fox are heavyer from the extra stuff it has

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nash and snow river trailers are their lower end trailers. I'm not sure if the Nash has the aluminum studs in the walls like the AF.
You can download a brochure from northwoods site.

Northwood also owns outdoors Rv which was fleetwood. Outdoors Rv have upped the quality in those units, but if I upgrade it will be another fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever you buy, make sure it has a great big fresh water tank. some are tiny. Also many new trailers have very poor quality tires that wear out at 5000 kms. Always get your trailer tires balanced even if the sales guy scoffs at you. I have seen several trailer tires fail prematurely because they are worn only in one area from bouncing down the road.

Top Bottom