Provincial sled club question

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question and we would prefer some serious suggestions.

Our local club is going through some changes. One of the changes is deciding whether or not to stay affiliated with The ABC (Association of BC Snowmobile Clubs). We have heard that the ABC is merging and being assumed by BCSF. Is there a time line for this? When will it be effective? I see the other thread but it seems to be centred around a name change not the real issues.

Our members are upset they feel that the ABC have done nothing really for us as a club in the past. We have been fighting our own land issues, mining and other things with what feels like no help from them. They feel that because we are at the end of the road we are kind of forgotten. They feel more needs to be done other than just providing insurance. We have an insurance company that is willing to match the insurance portion that the ABC gives us but we are struggling as a club to find more pros to keep us on board. As a new member typing to educate the old members I need some evidence based events to take back to the club for an informed decision. Events related to our area and help from the ABC/BCSF.

We understand that about 8 other clubs have left BCSF and gone solo. We are hoping some of these clubs/members may step up and let us know their experiences and whether this has had a positive or negative effect on the club and members.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
ABCSnow and the BCSF are going through the process of likely merging and the provincial organization will be the BCSF. If you decide to go to the BCSF, you can get your insurance wherever you think you have the best coverage for the best buck. The one thing I know for sure, is that wherever you go you will have to deal with Avalanche Safety Plans. Grooming up the valley won't be a problem but grooming up Koko will very likely cost the club somewhere in the 10's of thousands of dollars no matter what you do. WorkSafeBC has a plan that they want to implement on Feb. 1 2015. You will need all the help you can get and IMHO, that is through the BCSF. The independents won't be able to do anything for you and ABCSnow will very likely be merged with the BCSF. Here is some interesting reading regarding the ASP's: notice when the hazard is Considerable and above (and it is almost always that way in the Kootenays), an assessment has to be done prior to the groomer going out. It is a big can of worms with no answers as of yet but the BCSF is dealing with it as I type. If that doesn't open, I can send in a PM.

I have a question. What land issues were there that the club did not get help with? I don't recall any questions going forward to the BCSF prior to the club joining ABCSnow.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a question. What land issues were there that the club did not get help with? I don't recall any questions going forward to the BCSF prior to the club joining ABCSnow.

And did you ASK for help? I'm guessing you're referring to the SRMMP, but most of us aren't mind readers. :confused:

Last edited:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look into that site. We had heard about the grooming issue coming. I am not getting into a spitting match about the past I am more interested in the future of my club with the BCSF. I am more interested in what I can do to educate the "Old " boys. I would welcome the help.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I will look into that site. We had heard about the grooming issue coming. I am not getting into a spitting match about the past I am more interested in the future of my club with the BCSF. I am more interested in what I can do to educate the "Old " boys. I would welcome the help.

You brought up the fact of the land issues. The only problem that I know of was the Southern Rocky Management Advisory Committee and that did not do very much against snowmobiling other than Weary and Hornaday. The future is promising and is looking better than it has for years. New pro-active directors, transparency with regards to the financials, budget oriented and on budget, in a position to listen to the concerns of the member clubs, and growing with more clubs joining.

It isn't necessarily the old boys, it is about accepting change and than goes for all ages. The BCSF has changed big time from when Elkford went to ABCSnow. I was with the BCSF when change was required and I was not in agreement with the way the change happened. I always thought that it could be fixed from within. Even with the split, it took a long to fix it. One organization means stronger representation with all levels of government, more programs for all snowmobilers as programs and finances won't be split with two organizations, and a united front with the green action of the BC government that seems to permeate so deeply.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question and we would prefer some serious suggestions.

Our local club is going through some changes. One of the changes is deciding whether or not to stay affiliated with The ABC (Association of BC Snowmobile Clubs). We have heard that the ABC is merging and being assumed by BCSF. Is there a time line for this? When will it be effective? I see the other thread but it seems to be centred around a name change not the real issues.

Our members are upset they feel that the ABC have done nothing really for us as a club in the past. We have been fighting our own land issues, mining and other things with what feels like no help from them. They feel that because we are at the end of the road we are kind of forgotten. They feel more needs to be done other than just providing insurance. We have an insurance company that is willing to match the insurance portion that the ABC gives us but we are struggling as a club to find more pros to keep us on board. As a new member typing to educate the old members I need some evidence based events to take back to the club for an informed decision. Events related to our area and help from the ABC/BCSF.

We understand that about 8 other clubs have left BCSF and gone solo. We are hoping some of these clubs/members may step up and let us know their experiences and whether this has had a positive or negative effect on the club and members.

Although I do not have a right to speak for those before me, we as ABCSnow are very much in the mind set that we need to do the most for our member clubs as possible We, as directed by our clubs, have investigated not only the merits of a merger, but also the operations of the existing BCSF. It is inspiring to see the changes that have taken place in the last few years. We feel that not only has the BCSF addressed issues of the past they are very much looking towards the future, like we at ABCSnow are doing. At this time we feel the necessity of a merger is not only an important part of organized snowmobiling, it will help to unify resources, man power and our voice.
Going independent, in my opinion not only fractures resources and man power, it will fracture the sport. We as organized snowmobile volunteers help to fight land issues, spread safety outreach and grow our sport.

There is a lot of internal politics going on in the Fernie and Elk Valley region. I would love it if everyone involved could learn to work together and put personal differences aside and really look at the big picture. I realize the Elk Valley is a unique demographic, which is all the more reason to unify and work together to not only facilitate operations in that area, but perhaps lend knowledge to others who may encounter the same type of situation. This is where a unified network really shines.
The number is far less than 8 clubs as well. We received confirmation that one of the clubs opposed to rejoining with the BCSF spent time attending their Fall meeting, which gave them the confidence and inspiration to engage in the merger.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a member of a founding ABCSnow Club......we have nothing but good things to say about the direction that the BCSF is taking regarding snowmobiling in BC and we are in favor of the merger ourselves......but untill that happens Rhonda, take advantage of both Trish Drinkle's and Donegal Wilson's extensive knowledge and accessability regarding your issues...u can take advantage of both provincial bodies and hopefully get the information you need to help get your club in a direction that will satisfy all involved. Above all else....remember it is all about the riding :)

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a whole new executive this season, younger and more eager to invite change. I too can not speak to the past experiences with the BCSF or ABC with the Elkford club as I was not there. What I am being asked is evidence based events or plans for the area. Something I can take to my members to encourage their involvement and their eagerness to Stay. The oridinal members are having a hard time accepting the change. They are not convinced of the future with the BCSF and the Elk Valley. I am looking for anything to help them understand.

I get the merger as we all do that is the least of our concerns. This also has nothing to do with Fernie politics or Elkford for that matter??? Unless you know something we don't?? The club is floundering and at a loss for evidence that the ABC/BCSF has concidered our lost little corner of BC. I will go back to them and see exactly what it is they are looking for, one thing I do recall is them saying they don't feel they are heard so why bother. I will try to encourage them to research but would be nice to be given a document that has a plan,
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES AIMED AT THAT SPECIFIC area. Are there any??

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that in the past there was often a feeling that "we aren't being heard", however I blame that on the fact that for years our BCSF reps were from other areas and never came around or even contacted the clubs to inquire about local issues. Having our rep in the area can only benefit us as he is directly affected by local issues the same as everyone else. As moyiesledhead mentioned, did anyone contact the BCSF for help with any issues in the past. When we were dealing with land use and caribou issues the help and advice we got was invaluable, but we had to initiate the dialogue.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We have a whole new executive this season, younger and more eager to invite change. What I am being asked is evidence based events or plans for the area. I will try to encourage them to research but would be nice to be given a document that has a plan, SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES AIMED AT THAT SPECIFIC area. Are there any??

I hope I didn't take anything out of context with the copy/paste. Rhonda, you and your executive need to set goals/plans and objectives for the direction the club wants to go. There is no political or governmental plan for the area that I know of. I have not heard of any through the BCSF meetings. Industrial plans are a little different and a new mine can pop up at the drop of a hat if the price of coal is conducive to a new venture. There are no caribou so no closures in that regard. There is always the issue of Y2Y in the background and that will be there for our lifetime or the lifetime of the caribou.

Briguy99 has good advice; contact Donegal at the BCSF or Trish at ABCSnow. Both can provide all the information that you require.

Top Bottom