proper way to break in a rebuilt motor

kinrob1234

Reaction score
i was wondering is there a proper way to break in a overhauled motor i always let them warm up but didnt know if needed to run a certain rpm or keep it at a certain speed until it is broken in or can you ride like usual and mash on it all day and not worry about anything going wrong thanks

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
disclaimer: the following is my opinion on new motor break in. using this method, I have never experienced a premature engine failure on a new or rebuilt motor.

it is a bad idea to run a new motor at a steady rpm. after it has warmed up it needs to be run to max operating temp for all metal on metal parts to seat properly. that doesn't mean hold it to the bar for a one minute pull either, maybe 10 or 15 seconds WOT while working the motor (NOT on a stand) until temps come up, then back out a bit and ride at varying speeds/rpm. do that a few times to get a couple heat cycles in it, and ride it like you normally do. :beer:

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering is there a proper way to break in a overhauled motor i always let them warm up but didnt know if needed to run a certain rpm or keep it at a certain speed until it is broken in or can you ride like usual and mask on it all day and not worry about anything going wrong thanks

i've a lways been told let it warm up for like five or tens minutes then ride it like ya stole it, run the hell out of it

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also mix your first tank of gas at 50 to 1 and it dosen't hurt to drop the clip on your carb needles 1 notch for the first tank, rich is better than lean to seat rings.

sabercat2599

Reaction score
You can run oil with your first tank of fuel without any problems but I run 100:1. 50:1 can be a little hard on plugs. Dont ride it like you stole it if you want the engine to run for a long time. If the engine was rebuilt properly and bored out with new pistons there will be so little clearance that when the piston heats up it will score the cylinder. I have rebuilt hundreds of engines. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and in and out of the throttle for a couple of hours. No wide open for long periods for at least 150 miles. If you do this it will seat rings correctly and last along time.

kinrob1234

Reaction score
You can run oil with your first tank of fuel without any problems but I run 100:1. 50:1 can be a little hard on plugs. Dont ride it like you stole it if you want the engine to run for a long time. If the engine was rebuilt properly and bored out with new pistons there will be so little clearance that when the piston heats up it will score the cylinder. I have rebuilt hundreds of engines. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and in and out of the throttle for a couple of hours. No wide open for long periods for at least 150 miles. If you do this it will seat rings correctly and last along time.

thanks alot for this one i will definitely watch that so the motor will last thanks again

Top Bottom