Project rat

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been tossing around the idea of building a rat rod, specifically for resale. I've been searching kijiji for alot possible projects, and have noticed that anything cool is really expensive. So I figured, i I've got a few oldies kicking around, an why not build a rat project that the average guy can buy. Under 10,000 complete, safety inspected, ready to roll.
Would there be any sort of interest out there? Or am I wasting my time?
I'm thinking keeping it simple, cheap, raw, but safe. I'm a mechanic by trade, and I'm fully aware of the rules.
Any info, ideas, or thoughts on on this idea would be great.
I've got a great 37 chev cab, and a few small blocks kicking around.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen that show Vegas Rat Rods? They've got a sweet D-Rod pushing 850ish hp and sounds pretty good when that turbo spools up. The episode where the owner cooked the original diesel engine he was sucking donuts in the parking lot. They built a D-Rod from a late 40's Mack cab on a dodge 3500 chassis and dropped in a 650hp diesel.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen that show Vegas Rat Rods? They've got a sweet D-Rod pushing 850ish hp and sounds pretty good when that turbo spools up. The episode where the owner cooked the original diesel engine he was sucking donuts in the parking lot. They built a D-Rod from a late 40's Mack cab on a dodge 3500 chassis and dropped in a 650hp diesel.

Love the show I would love a diesel rat rod

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty tough to build a road worthy Rat Rod for under 10 grand

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I've been watching his builds for a while now. Mostly on fb though.
I think its doable, to build a rat for under 10000. Just have to be thrifty, spend spend the cash on safety stuff. By no means am I able to build a diesel for that though. I've got enough parts laying around for 2 or 3 rats. What would someone want in a rat?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 60-61 dodge Fargo fleet side I wanted to rod up, flat black with the rusty red coming through, shark Finn hood

Chevy lt or ls power

sent while I should be drinking tea's

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there might be interest in trucks then. The 56 is a great looking one too. I do have a 56 apache. Same as a 57, just two headlights.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
be tough to do under 10g. once you get into it, there are always unseen expenses in these kinds of projects, and doing it for yourself is one thing, but if you expect to make money off a build is something else altogether... If you have all the time in the world, and your labor is not worth anything to you, well maybe you will make a couple bucks, but? A lot of folks build things and then loose their ass on resale... TV glorifies things like this, and make things look much easier than they really are.
I am personally a 25+year journeyman autobody mechanic and have been involved in a lot of builds. and honestly I wish you luck, but I am just saying if you are hoping to make money doing it, it might not work out the way you expect.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've just never bought into the "rat rod" craze....I think it was just a fad that caught on because guys couldn't or wouldn't finish their car projects. Oh I'm sure a 5.9 Cummins stuffed in a rusty ol POS car with no windows and skinny whitewalls may seem a bit cool, but give me a finished hot rod with some style any day.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, building any vehicle for resale can be a risky undertaking.
TV definitely glorifies the process and I'm sure there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. And probably expensive mistakes.
I have this vision in my head of what a rat looks like, and I think paint, or even primer for that matter doesn't really belong. I've seen some really ugly rats too.
Ukrainianmudking, Pm me and we can talk. If your serious let's talk. I can show you some of my other work. And what I have to start with.

Top Bottom