Pro vs XM for jumping...

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
So, I'm looking at snow checking this year. Either a Pro 155 w/ the clickers, or a Freeride 154. I know I am in the Polaris section. I am currently on a Pro, but i have bent my fair share of stuff on it from hard landings. My favourite things to do are jump and tree ride, so I'm in a tough spot. I do not want an assault or summit. Are the new clickers that much better on the pro? Do the XM's wash out as bad as everyone says while sidehilling? What about the platform and the stability while your in the air?
Thanks guys.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For jumping (especially in sask.) i wouldn't recommend the PRO, i would go with the STD rmk w/clickers or the assault. Put the extra money into an aftermarket rear skid if you want added strength.

Why are you against the assault? Its is designed more for what you want to do.

Clickers would be a must on whatever polaris you buy in my opinion.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know anything about the polaris but there are some guys in my area sending it huge on the freerides. they are purpose built for that. lots of experienced riders will tell you the kyb40 shocks are awesome aswell. also has stiffened chassis, stronger wider running boards, rail stiffeners etc. and with the t motion its also a great mountain sled. kind of a no brainer to me. this washing out thing is purely a myth put out by riders that dont know how to properly position themselves on an XM chassis. sure it will wash out huge if you stand on it like you would stand on a PRO.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Basically because the only difference in '15 is the welded/wider A-Arms, and the skid position, I have over 5000 miles trouble free miles on the QD and never a problem, and it adds alot of fun factor to the sled IMO.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are you riding now? a 12, 13, or 14? Your name says 12 but QD is a 13/14. You can put an aftermarket belt drive on a chaincase model too.

I personally wouldn't be doing a lot of jumping with the glued arms and C. fiber overstructure, but that's my opinion.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
So what are you riding now? a 12, 13, or 14? Your name says 12 but QD is a 13/14. You can put an aftermarket belt drive on a chaincase model too.

I personally wouldn't be doing a lot of jumping with the glued arms and C. fiber overstructure, but that's my opinion.
Sold my 2012. Had a 13 and a 14 since. And i have separated an A-arm, and cracked and over structure...I was just hoping it would be better with the clickers...or even stick in a set of replacement arms.
Thanks.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clickers will be better (reduce bottoming out) but not sure it will prevent some of the destruction. I would recommend changing out the arms for sure but the over structure is hard to say.

I completely broke the rear over-structure on my pro (hit a tree on the front bumper) but the front over-structure (aluminum) was fine, i don't think the carbon front structure would have survived that. Just my 2 cents.

R

Ryan Verrecchia

I have a 12 pro I'm a heavier guy (260) and it's fine for jumping I bent my rails so put ice age bombers on and haven't had anything since. I'm jumping around 10-15 feet high. Just buy a pair of ice age bombers for when they do bend. I recommend putting some after market shocks on it fox set up for the rear makes big difference.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen both sleds catch good air, with of chamber landings and still roll through it. T motion does not make you a better jumper, or more agile in the trees. And you don't have to worry about where your feet are :confused: Try both.
Either way..... Poo and Doo both make great sleds, it's just up to you what you want.......

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen both sleds catch good air, with of chamber landings and still roll through it. T motion does not make you a better jumper, or more agile in the trees. And you don't have to worry about where your feet are :confused: Try both.
Either way..... Poo and Doo both make great sleds, it's just up to you what you want.......

You missed my point. The pro and xm are different chassis. If you ride a pro and get on an xm your feet need to be positioned differently. If you ride an xm and move to a pro your feet need to be positioned differently. It's not worrying about anything it's being comfortable on your preferred ride. And yes the t motion does make you more agile in the trees when we are talking about widened freeride snowmobile lineups.They don't handle well in the mountains compared to the mountain specific snowmobiles so any features help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You missed my point. The pro and xm are different chassis. If you ride a pro and get on an xm your feet need to be positioned differently. If you ride an xm and move to a pro your feet need to be positioned differently. It's not worrying about anything it's being comfortable on your preferred ride. And yes the t motion does make you more agile in the trees when we are talking about widened freeride snowmobile lineups.They don't handle well in the mountains compared to the mountain specific snowmobiles so any features help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

No Sir..... I got your point!!!
Try a Cat, Yam or a Poo for a season, before you make speculations after just a day of riding. Different chassis, different chassis.....
My point, and the point of this thread. Is that they are both GREAT sleds, but the sled doesn't make you a better rider. You make yourself a better rider.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I'm looking at snow checking this year. Either a Pro 155 w/ the clickers, or a Freeride 154. I know I am in the Polaris section. I am currently on a Pro, but i have bent my fair share of stuff on it from hard landings. My favourite things to do are jump and tree ride, so I'm in a tough spot. I do not want an assault or summit. Are the new clickers that much better on the pro? Do the XM's wash out as bad as everyone says while sidehilling? What about the platform and the stability while your in the air?
Thanks guys.

This part confuses me. You say you want a Pro or Freeride, not an Assault or Summit. You said you like to jump and tree ride. I thought that the Assault and Freeride were similar as to being built to jump and stuff, stronger and can handle more abuse than the Pro or Summit. I just think that if someone was looking at a Freeride, the Assault would be more comparable to it. Same as the Pro vs. the Summit.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple, if you land right with proper transition you could jump my old bravo 250 and have no issues. Problems and breaks happen on rough landings ang f*ckups. The XM handles these better for sure when compared to a Pro. This is coming from a guy that has owned Pros and XMs. for tree riding i still prefer the pro. But in the air the xm feels more confortable to me. If you say you like to jump then I don't know why you wouldnt be looking at a assualt vs freeride?? But then again when you say jumping are you talkin about jumpin drifts and culverts in sask or we talking 50 footers off cliffs and cornices with the slednecks crew?? The fact you say you have bent stuff from hard landings already tell me maybe you should consider that when you are thinking of ordering the exact same sled with slightly better shocks. JMO. Do you think slightly better suspension would of saved you from bends and breaks??

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know anything about the polaris but there are some guys in my area sending it huge on the freerides. they are purpose built for that. lots of experienced riders will tell you the kyb40 shocks are awesome aswell. also has stiffened chassis, stronger wider running boards, rail stiffeners etc. and with the t motion its also a great mountain sled. kind of a no brainer to me. this washing out thing is purely a myth put out by riders that dont know how to properly position themselves on an XM chassis. sure it will wash out huge if you stand on it like you would stand on a PRO.

a friend of mine use to race snowcross and has a 2014 freeride and says the shocks suckkkkk.... No one is ever happy

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For jumping (especially in sask.) i wouldn't recommend the PRO, i would go with the STD rmk w/clickers or the assault. Put the extra money into an aftermarket rear skid if you want added strength.

Why are you against the assault? Its is designed more for what you want to do.

Clickers would be a must on whatever polaris you buy in my opinion.

yah thats a good call on the standard rmk with the clickers, its basically the assault but narrow stance. and the money you save buy bomber rails and a ftx tunnel gusset kit and you will be set for jumper and tree riding.

Top Bottom