Pro RMK compared to Assualt RMK

Tommy100

Reaction score
Trying to decide on snow checking a Pro RMK 155 or an Assault 155(with RMK Powder Track). Currently ride 2013 Pro RMK 155 and like how it handles. How different would the Assault 155 feel without the belt drive and extra bit of weight. Has anyone did a ride comparison with two 2013's like this, would appreciate your opinion.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide on snow checking a Pro RMK 155 or an Assault 155(with RMK Powder Track). Currently ride 2013 Pro RMK 155 and like how it handles. How different would the Assault 155 feel without the belt drive and extra bit of weight. Has anyone did a ride comparison with two 2013's like this, would appreciate your opinion.

Only diff you will notice is the wider ski stance on the assault.....better cooling on the assaults also.
And assaults come with upgraded shocks but they still are not that good.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
I have a 13 Assault 155 with the Powder track - Love it. It does have a wider stance than the Pro. It also has an upgraded shock package - so if you like to do some freestyle riding the Assault may be for you. The Pro's narrower stance makes it a better machine for boondocking through the trees and if you get the 163 you will outclimb the Assault, by a bit. The extra weight means nothing - the Assault is 18 lbs. dry weight more. Once you get it loaded up with fuel and oil and pack it full of snow -- the weight doesn't really matter. The Assault still has the old chaincase versus the Pro's quick drive belt and new drive shaft (which has been prone to breakage under some conditions).

I love my Assault; but depending on your riding style and the terrain you plan to shred? You might like the Pro better. To each their own. The Assault only comes in a max 155 - and the Pro is either a 155 or a 163 - so if you want the longer track - the Pro might be for you also. I have found my 155 is adequate for my riding - but your mileage may vary depending on your riding and riding style.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the assault with zbroz a arms for the pro and it will be a sick ride + chain drive will be stronger witch = more fun and less down time
lol

Last edited:

Tommy100

Reaction score
Does the Pro have a snappier feel to the throttle than the Assualt because of the belt drive.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
You could also consider a standard RMK versus the Pro. It is about 15 pounds heavier than the Pro, but you gain extra cooling capacity, a chaincase and A-arms that are not bonded. As well you also move from the carbon fiber over structure to the aluminum one. You can then always upgrade from a chaincase to one of the aftermarket offerings for a belt drive system.

rydemx

Reaction score
I was wondering this question myself since I'm going to snowcheck a 14. I've ridden a few 13' PRO 155's and I have to say they seemed a lot snappier then my 12' Pro . However a few of them have had belt drive issues and I like the good old chaincase . So I finally got some seat time on a 13' Assault the other day and I absoulutly loved the machine . It flat out rips compared to my 12 . After riding the assault , i could care less for the belt drive on the pro .He has the skis set to the narrowest setting (1/2") wider then the pro at max , and I didn't have a problem with it in the trees. It made my mind up and I will be going with the Assualt with powder track .

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pick the Assault: I have had plenty of time to compare my 2013 ProRmk to my husbands 2012 Assault.

When it came time to snocheck, I chose the RMK over the Assault bcz of the lighter weight and the belt drive. I wanted to try the new technology and I assumed that they were basically the same sled with only a few differences in ski stance and suspension.

I have had several days to ride the Assault while others are borrowing/trying mine. It TRULY is easier to ride, even with the suspension set up for someone 100+ pounds heavier than I am. Those little differences in set-up make a WORLD of difference in handling. I am somewhat regretting my decision to buy the RMK with very little seat time on it. I should have trusted my gut. It's not that I don't like my sled, its that I like my husband's better. Now I will have to spend more coin to bring them closer to being similar in handling :(

Differences: Shocks, track, ski stance, longer a-arms and different attack angle. It actually sits a bit taller...

I cant explain the difference in feel... The RMK feels like it pivots in a line when turning- kinda like a gate swinging whereas the ASSAULT feels like it actively turns around the line of your body/steering post. Bottom line is that it turns tighter with alot less effort and digs way harder in the powder...

Recently my husband extended his Assault to a 163 and I didn't think I would like it since I have tried the 163 ProRMK twice an haven't liked it either day I spent riding it. BUT, I spent a day on the 163 Assault and it handles just like the 155 but digs much harder with the longer paddle and track length. Definitely a nice upgrade. At close to 4300kms it has been a very reliable machine and my husband has definitely put it to the test :)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pick the Assault: I have had plenty of time to compare my 2013 ProRmk to my husbands 2012 Assault.

When it came time to snocheck, I chose the RMK over the Assault bcz of the lighter weight and the belt drive. I wanted to try the new technology and I assumed that they were basically the same sled with only a few differences in ski stance and suspension.

I have had several days to ride the Assault while others are borrowing/trying mine. It TRULY is easier to ride, even with the suspension set up for someone 100+ pounds heavier than I am. Those little differences in set-up make a WORLD of difference in handling. I am somewhat regretting my decision to buy the RMK with very little seat time on it. I should have trusted my gut. It's not that I don't like my sled, its that I like my husband's better. Now I will have to spend more coin to bring them closer to being similar in handling :(

Differences: Shocks, track, ski stance, longer a-arms and different attack angle. It actually sits a bit taller...

I cant explain the difference in feel... The RMK feels like it pivots in a line when turning- kinda like a gate swinging whereas the ASSAULT feels like it actively turns around the line of your body/steering post. Bottom line is that it turns tighter with alot less effort and digs way harder in the powder...

Recently my husband extended his Assault to a 163 and I didn't think I would like it since I have tried the 163 ProRMK twice an haven't liked it either day I spent riding it. BUT, I spent a day on the 163 Assault and it handles just like the 155 but digs much harder with the longer paddle and track length. Definitely a nice upgrade. At close to 4300kms it has been a very reliable machine and my husband has definitely put it to the test :)

Not sure what all you may be after SledMamma or if your interested in changing yours out, but I have a set of stock assault shocks, both upper a-arms, and one lower a-arm (right side I believe) with less than 50 miles on them (they are as new) that I purchased from a fella that changed out his 2011 assault to an after market front end...... I had them for spare parts for my 2011 Assault, but now have a 2013 Pro... I would sell or trade you for your front pro a-arms etc...

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what all you may be after SledMamma or if your interested in changing yours out, but I have a set of stock assault shocks, both upper a-arms, and one lower a-arm (right side I believe) with less than 50 miles on them (they are as new) that I purchased from a fella that changed out his 2011 assault to an after market front end...... I had them for spare parts for my 2011 Assault, but now have a 2013 Pro... I would sell or trade you for your front pro a-arms etc...

I was actually wondering about this yesterday when I was out riding!!! Isn't that funny...

Let me talk to my husband and see what he thinks :) I will get back to you...

Top Bottom