primay clutch bolt? help

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Just bought a 1998 zr 500 and was inspecting it and found the bolt going threw the center of the primary clutch is loose. I tryed to take it out and it wont untreade or wont tighten. IS this apost to be tight. Is it aspost to be loose. Dose that hold the clutch in or will my clutch fall out if i dont tighten it. Also its not a normal bolt it has like 12 or 15 littel points like a star. Do i need a special tool or could i use a 1/2 inch wrench. thats what i was using but it would just turn by hand.
Thanks
Also on the chain case where the drain plug?

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be tight and tourqed to prob somewhere around 70-80 lbs, what do you mean it won't tighten or loosen, you can just keep turning it and nothing happens?

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be tight and tourqed to prob somewhere around 70-80 lbs, what do you mean it won't tighten or loosen, you can just keep turning it and nothing happens?

Yeah it would just keep turning i focus more on taking it out to find the right side socket because it was different head not a regalur socket.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I Just bought a 1998 zr 500 and was inspecting it and found the bolt going threw the center of the primary clutch is loose. I tryed to take it out and it wont untreade or wont tighten. IS this apost to be tight. Is it aspost to be loose. Dose that hold the clutch in or will my clutch fall out if i dont tighten it. Also its not a normal bolt it has like 12 or 15 littel points like a star. Do i need a special tool or could i use a 1/2 inch wrench. thats what i was using but it would just turn by hand.
Thanks
Also on the chain case where the drain plug?

Yeah it would just keep turning i focus more on taking it out to find the right side socket because it was different head not a regalur socket.

I can normally put up with spelling and grammar errors but this morning, these two posts got to me....spell check and re-read your post before you use the Submit Reply icon.

Mine may not be perfect but I still strive for it!

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe you have to remove the chain case cover to drain the oil. Four or five bolts.:beer:

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe he is, and yes it should go right into the crank and be tourqed! If it won't tighten or loosen the only thing I could guess is that either the bolt is stripped or the threads in the crank are stripped and there is just enough holding to keep it from coming out, I would try using a big screwdriver or a pry bar and put it between the clutch and the head of the bolt and put some pressure against it and the try threading it out

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I believe he is, and yes it should go right into the crank and be tourqed! If it won't tighten or loosen the only thing I could guess is that either the bolt is stripped or the threads in the crank are stripped and there is just enough holding to keep it from coming out, I would try using a big screwdriver or a pry bar and put it between the clutch and the head of the bolt and put some pressure against it and the try threading it out

After a cold day like today and all the wise comments this guy is gonna go nuts....hahaha

PS not saying your comment isn't worthy but mainly referring to the ones before.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

did you hold the clutch from turning the crankshaft while trying to loosen/tighten said bolt?

I'm not familiar with cats, but.... allen head socket, torx socket??

closeyetfar19

Reaction score
As said above use a pry bar or something to hold the clutch from spinning. And you need a 1/2", 12 point socket or you will strip that bolt head more than it probably already is.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said above use a pry bar or something to hold the clutch from spinning. And you need a 1/2", 12 point socket or you will strip that bolt head more than it probably already is.

Ah ferry head bolt is what that bad boy would be called... You can once and awhile get away with six point but not with any sort of torque

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a nylon collar melted to the bolt just pry it out pull hard it will come , 50 ft pounds torque on bolt when replacing don't replace nylon or alilunmin bushing ,my spelling is screwed tonite

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
inside tunnel there is a plug to drain chain oil 3/4 inch wrench

Yeah i jacked up the sleed and found the drain plug its on the inside of the tunnel beside the track.

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes. Just got a new netbook and i am not use to the small key board.

I unscrewed the nut for a while. ( still not coming out) so i got some vice grips and pulled on the bolt and it cam out. The first 3 treads where a little flattend and a few thread in the middle of the bolt where mest up. I tryed to put it back in and it seemed to not want to tread but those first threads are all flatend so i have to go get a new bolt for the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully with a new bolt it will just tread in no problem or else am in trouble and would have to pull the clutch to tap new threads. Am i right?????

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i jacked up the sleed and found the drain plug its on the inside of the tunnel beside the track.

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes. Just got a new netbook and i am not use to the small key board.

I unscrewed the nut for a while. ( still not coming out) so i got some vice grips and pulled on the bolt and it cam out. The first 3 treads where a little flattend and a few thread in the middle of the bolt where mest up. I tryed to put it back in and it seemed to not want to tread but those first threads are all flatend so i have to go get a new bolt for the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully with a new bolt it will just tread in no problem or else am in trouble and would have to pull the clutch to tap new threads. Am i right?????
fine tread 1/2 inch tap , bolt should thread in with fingers 50 ftp torque on new one

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man this sled is really being a pain in the a$$. I go get a new bolt from the articcat]dealer for $27. So i go home and try to put the bolt in,it wont tread in. GRRRRR so i try to take it out it wont come out either. So i go get some vice grips and try to pull on it and untread it didn't work. So i geuss all the threads inside int cranksaft are striped. So il see what my dad say and or if he canget it out but even if we do i still have to bring to my mechanic and get him to take off the side plastic and remove the pirmary clutch and retape it. OMG so much work on a sled i havent even got to drive yet. Hate buying use because of these stupied problems. fawck

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
order a clutch puller and pop that puppy off royal distrubting can get you on your way I have never saw strip threads in the crankshaft ,but you have to get the clutch off to figuer out what is going on good luck

Top Bottom