Price tag continues to hold back potential EV buyers

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
April 18, 2024 by Adam Malik

Price tag continues to hold back potential EV buyers​

Financial barriers continue to play a crucial role in Canadians’ hesitation towards electric vehicle adoption, according to a recent study.

The latest findings from the Car Ownership Index by Turo found that one in three (29 per cent) of Canadian respondents not planning to buy an EV cite the high costs associated with these vehicles as the primary obstacle.

The index, which provides insights into Canadians’ attitudes and challenges related to car ownership, highlighted the monetary factors as significant hurdles preventing a more widespread shift to electric vehicles in the country. Despite growing environmental awareness and the increasing push towards sustainable transportation, the initial high costs of EVs remain a deterrent for a considerable segment of the population.

Vehicle ownership costs overall are further pushing Canadians towards car sharing options as many young Millennials say they can’t afford a vehicle, period.

According to the survey, 21 per cent of young millennial respondents reported using a car-sharing service within the last 18 months, a rate more than double the average across all age groups, which stands at 9 per cent.

The primary uses for car sharing among respondents included domestic leisure travel (37 per cent), running errands (29 per cent), and international leisure travel (16 per cent).

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one asked me why I'm not transitioning to EV. Who does these surveys?

Reason I refuse to even concider going EV is the hypocracy behind it. They are being pitched as a green alternative, but in reality they are less green than ICE vehicles. You never see the Lithium mining proces and the scare that it leaves on the environment factored into the environmental cost of these vehicles.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the report is flawed. I think if the govenment is trying to ram it down our throats people are asking why? As Pipes said the mining of the stuff is far worse for the environment. It certainly is not to go "green"

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We know that conventional ICE vehicles require NO mining at all. Having all this mining for EV's is very bad because mining is bad. I'm getting rid of everything I own that came from mining! 😡

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are just too dam ugly. When they fire homer simpson as the lead designer they might have a chance.

1713537862902.png

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We know that conventional ICE vehicles require NO mining at all. Having all this mining for EV's is very bad because mining is bad. I'm getting rid of everything I own that came from mining! 😡
The other things that come from mining are not being called greener alternatives like how they pit ice vs electric vehicle u cant just say a ev is better for the enviroment without taking it what is required to make it/get it to the road. You cant just pick and choose what u want to make a argument on one being more ev friendly then the other

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other things that come from mining are not being called greener alternatives like how they pit ice vs electric vehicle u cant just say a ev is better for the enviroment without taking it what is required to make it/get it to the road. You cant just pick and choose what u want to make a argument on one being more ev friendly then the other

That’s correct. If you look at a city like los angelas you will notice that there is heavy smog from all the electric vehicles. When the grid goes down and the EV are parked, the smog clears off so people can breathe clean air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s correct. If you look at a city like los angelas you will notice that there is heavy smog from all the electric vehicles. When the grid goes down and the EV are parked, the smog clears off so people can breathe clean air.

U counting the smog from energy generation after everyone is running there chargers at night to charge there vehicles? Its not as simple to measure total emissions as one may think as the green crowd only takes the numbers they choose, or life use of the ev vehicle before battery is expired u cant tell me that in 10-12 years your ev vehicle battery wont be close to needing replacing, or what happens to the batterys after the fact

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U counting the smog from energy generation after everyone is running there chargers at night to charge there vehicles? Its not as simple to measure total emissions as one may think as the green crowd only takes the numbers they choose, or life use of the ev vehicle before battery is expired u cant tell me that in 10-12 years your ev vehicle battery wont be close to needing replacing, or what happens to the batterys after the fact

db951f740b46fb21ea5627f52d32a31f.jpg

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
db951f740b46fb21ea5627f52d32a31f.jpg

Thats cute but what about the recycling of the batteries once there expired? In 10-12 years max? See what i mean u just pick random charts to show your point i asked for total life emission breakdown to show a fair more true picture of total emissions

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats cute but what about the recycling of the batteries once there expired? In 10-12 years max? See what i mean u just pick random charts to show your point i asked for total life emission breakdown to show a fair more true picture of total emissions

Did you look at the chart?

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where does the graph end up after 100k miles? Do the ev emissions jump when new batteries are needed? Just curious.
I don't trust any study done by a university, especially Stanford, Possibly Bought and paid for.
My thoughts exactly, im not against ev not one bit but to say there so much more green is a stretch when alota of dats is omitted

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where does the graph end up after 100k miles? Do the ev emissions jump when new batteries are needed? Just curious.
I don't trust any study done by a university, especially Stanford, Possibly Bought and paid for.

I don’t think it’s normal for batteries to fail at 100,000 miles. And if they do it’s in the warranty period.

87f4a384e65e48cbc4f69964d335e7c1.jpg

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Universities are money whores.
Research data is always up for bid…

Top Bottom