Powerstroke 6.0 life expectancy

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So much easier to pull off the heads with the cab off. The ones I have done had the cab bolts inside the cab which makes them a problem to remove. I have noticed that the cab bolt heads are on the frame side on the newer models.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do NOT get the 5'4 gasser on a 3/4 or larger truck.. I made that mistake. 7 MPG with a deck and 2 sleds upwind on the highway.. The 5.4 is not enough power to get up and go either,,, it was a DOG that sucked fuel.

Does anyone have any comments on the 5.4 gas? I am looking at Ford as they seem to have the highest GVWR for an F250 (Somewhere around 9800 LBS for an extended cab).

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

800snopro

Reaction score
6.0L are great engines and work very well. They are super easy to work on and maintain. But...... I wouldn't recommend buying one unless u know how they work and how to fix them. I have 4 buddies with these trucks and they love em, all ford tech's. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did u just say easy to work on and maintain

U are talking the g.m 6.0 l gas pot I hope

Cause if it's the 6.0 l ford p.o.s diesel ur drunk still

sent while I should be drinking tea's

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I a auto tech also

U can have all the 6.0 u want

Not for this guy

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.0L ford with a 4" straight pipe, honestly one of the best sounds their is when you get on the pedal, that 6.0L ford rap sounds awesome! and I am Not even a ford guy

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree.they sound cool

But so does a piped triple...

Still old school and not trusty one bit

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep 6.0l is a great motor if completely modified to the point of not being a 6.0 and u call it a cmx truck

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree.they sound cool

But so does a piped triple...

Still old school and not trusty one bit

WTF are you talking about Tex, I have 2 Doo triples which are very reliable, I don't have a 6.0 though...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about Tex, I have 2 Doo triples which are very reliable, I don't have a 6.0 though...

Ok I was talking po po 580,680 more so

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody has an opinion of the 6.0 diesel. The more negative the opinion, the more likely they never owned one. Lots of people did have troubles with them. But most did not. The ones that used them as work trucks got the best service, the ones that used them as city commuter vehicles had more troubles, and the ones that used them as race cars with stacked tuners etc had the most. Bear in mind that from '03 to '07 ( the 6.0years) ford sold over double in numbers than GM and dodge combined in the diesel pickup segment.
Does the 6.0 have some thing that should have been designed better? You bet! But with some mods that cost about the same as a front end rebuild in a dodge the 6.0 can be made very reliable. They rarely scatter hard parts and compared to the new HPCR engines of all makers, the 6.0 is comparatively simple and cheap to repair. Check the forums of all makes for the horror stories on the new engines. All of them. And their pizz poor fuel economy.
The duramax of the same vintage was the least problematic, but way fewer were sold, and the guys that have them, keep them. The cummins in that era are mostly still running, but as boat engines or generators because the dodge they were wrapped in have long since fallen apart. So the affordable used diesel market is comprised mostly of fords. People will buy them and bulletproof them and get good service out of them.
They have to because the percentage of the population that can afford 70K+ for a new truck is pretty small. JMHO.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If owned 5 all work trucks all junk cheap to fix really also head the 6.4 fuel system wasn't great for Canadian winters now I have the 6.7 lost one engine on that also (wasn't the motors fault ford got a great deal an glow plugs from china)but the only problem I have head was with the engine the rest of the truck was great.
head this argument with a guy at work his is all modded up bulletproof the next day I gave him my truck to get to work cause his would not start and he was full of excuses just like everyone els that defends the 6l . It's like talking to a abused wife defending her pice of chit husband , one thing I do like is how easy it is to pull the cab , after doing head gaskets on a dirty max and yes the front end is week on dodge but some good aftermarket parts ONCE and it's fixed we have chevs and dodges in the fleet to and I'd rather drive the ford for comfort and drive ability but they are always in the shop but we do have one 6l that's still running great and it has almost 400000 it's one of those freaks of nature

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sums it up I think:

Ford Motor & Navistar Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over 6L Power Stroke Diesel Engine | Class Action Lawsuits In The News

As for Ford selling more, yes, if you break apart GMC and Chevrolet. If you combine Chev/GM the actually sold more trucks and didn't get a class action.

Top 10 Best Selling Pickup Trucks in America » AutoGuide.com News

I've run them as a service truck, great when it was running. Waay to many drivability issues. Went to a V-10 and just had to worry about gas/oil.
YRMV

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If owned 5 all work trucks all junk cheap to fix really also head the 6.4 fuel system wasn't great for Canadian winters now I have the 6.7 lost one engine on that also (wasn't the motors fault ford got a great deal an glow plugs from china)but the only problem I have head was with the engine the rest of the truck was great.
head this argument with a guy at work his is all modded up bulletproof the next day I gave him my truck to get to work cause his would not start and he was full of excuses just like everyone els that defends the 6l . It's like talking to a abused wife defending her pice of chit husband , one thing I do like is how easy it is to pull the cab , after doing head gaskets on a dirty max and yes the front end is week on dodge but some good aftermarket parts ONCE and it's fixed we have chevs and dodges in the fleet to and I'd rather drive the ford for comfort and drive ability but they are always in the shop but we do have one 6l that's still running great and it has almost 400000 it's one of those freaks of nature

Makes you wonder why that one 6 liter never had a problem. Same engine, good service. Probably the operator.

Top Bottom