Powerful Message - please read.

markiedog

Reaction score
they show that video to the students in the classroom at the driving school that my wife instructs at. very good video

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good video todd. Laws definatley need to be stiffer. some of my friends are like oh yeah i got pulled over and I i had been drinking but i talked my way out of it.
People won't F***ing learn unless they get thrown in jail, kill someone, get a duey, etc. so maybe cops should hand out more dueys instead of letting people go and then they kill someone.! Drinking and driving is not cool in any way shape or form ( no its not "classic" because they say it on "The Hangover"). i have never drank and drove and never will.

Thanks again todd

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big problem is a lot of people seem to think a few beers or whatever is fine. How many drink after a day of sledding and jump in the truck and drive? Even if it's 1-2, still can be problems. And no reason for it IMO, leave it until the vehicle is parked for the night.

If I am driving, it's 1 drink with a meal max. If not eating, nothing or I won't drive unless it's hours and hours after. Anyone who says they got lucky and blew under or whatever when they got stopped is just as stupid. If you can't go without a drink for a few more hours you have a problem.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The big problem is a lot of people seem to think a few beers or whatever is fine. How many drink after a day of sledding and jump in the truck and drive? Even if it's 1-2, still can be problems. And no reason for it IMO, leave it until the vehicle is parked for the night.

If I am driving, it's 1 drink with a meal max. If not eating, nothing or I won't drive unless it's hours and hours after. Anyone who says they got lucky and blew under or whatever when they got stopped is just as stupid. If you can't go without a drink for a few more hours you have a problem.

You do whatever it is you are comfortable with but don't preach.... .08 is the legal limit for a reason. this subject has been hashed over so many times in so many threads... chrizt I can drive better after 6 beers than many people can stone sobre (not that I will drive after 6, I just know how 6 beers effect me).... If you are comfortable with 1 with a meal and none if not eating so be it but don't try to shove your hollier than thou crap onto the rest of us....

DRUNK drivers kill people.... not 2 or 3 beers at a hockey game drivers...

Most people who have had a few drinks will drive more cautious than those who have not..... cell phones, stereos, newspapers, books ect... are far more dangerous to a driver than 2 or 3 beers.....

mighty big brush your painting with there oh rightous one...

Just sayin...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do whatever it is you are comfortable with but don't preach.... .08 is the legal limit for a reason. this subject has been hashed over so many times in so many threads... chrizt I can drive better after 6 beers than many people can stone sobre (not that I will drive after 6, I just know how 6 beers effect me).... If you are comfortable with 1 with a meal and none if not eating so be it but don't try to shove your hollier than thou crap onto the rest of us....

DRUNK drivers kill people.... not 2 or 3 beers at a hockey game drivers...

Most people who have had a few drinks will drive more cautious than those who have not..... cell phones, stereos, newspapers, books ect... are far more dangerous to a driver than 2 or 3 beers.....

mighty big brush your painting with there oh rightous one...

Just sayin...

So you are saying blowing .07 and .09 is a difference in your driving? Doubtful. Yea it's the difference between jail, getting away with nothing, and a suspended lisence. But still, your driving is the same. You do know if the cop SMELLS alcohol they can pull your lisence for 24 hours? Happened to a friend, they blew legal, but still said lisence gone for 24 hours.

Gaurentee if you got in a major accident and blew a bit under, it wouldn't matter you'd still be fawked up the creek.

Take your chances wisely, run into the wrong person after a few beers and you won't have to worry about it again, you won't ever be able to afford more beer. Blowing legal or not, it won't matter.

Hell come into work after to many the night before, get into a accident and you'll be looking for a new job......Even if you "blow legal".

Do whatever you please......

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So you are saying blowing .07 and .09 is a difference in your driving? Doubtful. Yea it's the difference between jail, getting away with nothing, and a suspended lisence. But still, your driving is the same. You do know if the cop SMELLS alcohol they can pull your lisence for 24 hours? Happened to a friend, they blew legal, but still said lisence gone for 24 hours.

Gaurentee if you got in a major accident and blew a bit under, it wouldn't matter you'd still be fawked up the creek.

Take your chances wisely, run into the wrong person after a few beers and you won't have to worry about it again, you won't ever be able to afford more beer. Blowing legal or not, it won't matter.

Hell come into work after to many the night before, get into a accident and you'll be looking for a new job......Even if you "blow legal".

Just pointing out that .08 is the law..... 4 beers in 2 hours will put me at about .1 and I could drive just fine... won't becaue it's illegal and I could not function without my drivers licence. I don't show signs of impairment until 8-10 beers.
on the flip of the coin 1 cooler will put my wife at under .04 however would impair her judgement and she will not drive after any...
So...... 1 beer per hour over 3 hours giving a reading of .04 works for some and zero tolerance worcks for others. a 24hr suspension is if you blow between .04 & .08.

Like I said before DRUNKS kill people and I don't dissagree with harsh penalties for impaired driving but at the same time I don't advocate zero tolerance... people should be able to have a few drinks responsibly and know when to draw the line.....

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know MADD is trying to get the government to lower the legal limit to .05 which I strongly disagree with. When you hear of the accidents where a drunk driver hits someone, they blow well over .08. It's not people that are at .05 that are killing people, it's those that are tanked, so lowering the limit to .05 will not save anyone, it will just make a bunch more people criminals, just like the gun registry. The Edmonton City Police have a bar in their basement headquarters. Is anyone seriously going to tell me that those that go there after a shift and have a beer or two (well deserved I'm sure) always take a cab home? Doubtful. Its commendable that peeps like Cyle and others are advocating against drinking and driving, as many people have been killed or scarred for life because of some irresponsible people, but I feel as Bogger does, that zero tolerance is going too far. If some want to live their life that way, all the power to them, I just hope they will understand that there are those that do have a couple and are still safe drivers. No one can argue that too much booze doesn't affect motor coordination, because it does. I just think that those that do have a drink responsibly shouldn't be punished because of some that are irresponsible. If we regulate society that way, we'll all eventually be confined to our homes or straight jackets!! (Bit of a hyperbole, but you get my point?).

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I know MADD is trying to get the government to lower the legal limit to .05 which I strongly disagree with. When you hear of the accidents where a drunk driver hits someone, they blow well over .08. It's not people that are at .05 that are killing people, it's those that are tanked, so lowering the limit to .05 will not save anyone, it will just make a bunch more people criminals, just like the gun registry. The Edmonton City Police have a bar in their basement headquarters. Is anyone seriously going to tell me that those that go there after a shift and have a beer or two (well deserved I'm sure) always take a cab home? Doubtful. Its commendable that peeps like Cyle and others are advocating against drinking and driving, as many people have been killed or scarred for life because of some irresponsible people, but I feel as Bogger does, that zero tolerance is going too far. If some want to live their life that way, all the power to them, I just hope they will understand that there are those that do have a couple and are still safe drivers. No one can argue that too much booze doesn't affect motor coordination, because it does. I just think that those that do have a drink responsibly shouldn't be punished because of some that are irresponsible. If we regulate society that way, we'll all eventually be confined to our homes or straight jackets!! (Bit of a hyperbole, but you get my point?).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.....

Thank you.... you make this point MUCH better than I do, 100% agree

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
hrmmmmm some flawed statements there if the police smell alcohol and are wanting to take action on this a breath sample HAS to be taken, they cant just say hey we smell alcohol and pull your license for a 24 hour suspension....the mobile breath test HAS to be administered. for them to take said action and your breath sample must be in the yellow which is a reading of .04-.09 (the .09 is to allow for some fluctuation)to receive said suspension......IF you refuse a breath sample then you can be taken into custody and treated as though you had failed, once at the police station if you continue to refuse you can then be charged with impaired driving and take your case to court if you so chose.

also it should be noted that each beer is 4-5% alcohol it takes your body 1 hour to eliminate one drink and your body only absorbs 50-75% of the alcohol in that drink, police charts show 2 beer consumed by one person over one hour will give you a BAC of .05 over one hour (this is also dependent on body weight) but does start to drastically increase as you compound these #'s over longer periods of time as your body will continue to only eliminate one beer per hour as you add 2 per hour on top of that.

as for getting in an accident fact of the matter is that if you blow below legal limits YES it will make a difference in the case, weather viewed as right or wrong .08 IS the law, if a judgment were to be made against a person giving a stiffer sentence though they had only blown .05 then that would set a precedence and would be saying that law is invalid.....any good lawyer will clear you of any implications cause by "being under the influence"

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also it should be noted that each beer is 4-5% alcohol it takes your body 1 hour to eliminate one drink and your body only absorbs 50-75% of the alcohol in that drink, police charts show 2 beer consumed by one person over one hour will give you a BAC of .05 over one hour (this is also dependent on body weight) but does start to drastically increase as you compound these #'s over longer periods of time as your body will continue to only eliminate one beer per hour as you add 2 per hour on top of that.

Who's body? Mine? Yours? Some 90 lb girl who's dehydrated and been in the sun on the beach all day? You can take those charts and throw them in the garbage, everyone handles booze differently, and it varies from day to day. I know if I'm tired and been working outside all day in the yard, 3 beers make me feel different than 3 beers after I just ate a huge meal. Those charts just help some people to justify that they think they should drive after having 6 beer in 5-6 hrs because some chart said it's probably alright.

You are right about blowing under, its the law, you likely won't be charged criminally. But you can still find yourself in a civil suit if you are negligent, and they can still take everything you own.

I agree with Bogger that this debate has been had 1000 times. Personally I think that breathalyzers should be more available (commercially or in the bar, etc), that way you know for sure what you're at (within a tolerance obviously, but it's closer than "gut feel"). Some people think that they know what their BAC is just by how they feel - not a chance. If you are ever really bored, sit around and drink for a while (what you'd normally drink if you were drinking socially, not falling down drunk) then take a cab to the local detachment and ask them to give you a breathalyzer, it'll probably open most peoples eyes to what their BAC really is. 0.08 is not that high.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't see the attraction of having one or two beers at a hockey game, for lunch, or any occaision other than to get drunk. every single drink effects things like reactionary times and attentiveness. Imagine if I had the attitude that a couple beers over lunch was cool, and then jumped into this and toodled on down the highway.......

kenworth12.jpg

lots of guys do it...just because it's not against the law don't make it right.

isn't there already a zero tolerance law for probationary drivers?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hrmmmmm some flawed statements there if the police smell alcohol and are wanting to take action on this a breath sample HAS to be taken, they cant just say hey we smell alcohol and pull your license for a 24 hour suspension....the mobile breath test HAS to be administered. for them to take said action and your breath sample must be in the yellow which is a reading of .04-.09 (the .09 is to allow for some fluctuation)to receive said suspension......IF you refuse a breath sample then you can be taken into custody and treated as though you had failed, once at the police station if you continue to refuse you can then be charged with impaired driving and take your case to court if you so chose.

as for getting in an accident fact of the matter is that if you blow below legal limits YES it will make a difference in the case, weather viewed as right or wrong .08 IS the law, if a judgment were to be made against a person giving a stiffer sentence though they had only blown .05 then that would set a precedence and would be saying that law is invalid.....any good lawyer will clear you of any implications cause by "being under the influence"

Umm, speaking from a not too proud moment in my life, they can indeed take your licence for 24 hours without a breathalyzer. That moment was a wake up call for me!

Like Modman said, alcohol can affect you in different ways, at different levels, in many different situatons. Without having scientifically based tests run to determine tolerence and judgement in varying situatons, there is no way you can make your own personal judgement of tolerance or ability.

Just sayin'........

Crazy vid by the way. Powerful. A vid everyone should see and think about.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
coming from a not too proud moment in my life i can tell you with out administering a test with a portable unit they can't "legally" do it.....i have been through this and the course you are made to take after being convicted will tell you this......if they do try, you have the right to ask for one to be administered at which time if that car doesn't have one they will have to wait for one to arrive which is equipt or take to to the station for a breath sample

and yes i agree it effects different people in different ways such as body weight, male or female, ect. i apologize for leaving that out and i'm not even arguing one way or the other but i have been in this situation before and know others who have and happen to know many facts on the subject.

different places will even give you different info i realize that too, but i was made to take a course several years ago that went very heavy into the legalities of it all and the consequences........and on that note i can tell you for a fact....you can drink one night, sleep, get up, have breakfast, head into town feeling perfectly fine.....and blow .12 believe it or not

Umm, speaking from a not too proud moment in my life, they can indeed take your licence for 24 hours without a breathalyzer. That moment was a wake up call for me!

Like Modman said, alcohol can affect you in different ways, at different levels, in many different situatons. Without having scientifically based tests run to determine tolerence and judgement in varying situatons, there is no way you can make your own personal judgement of tolerance or ability.

Just sayin'........

Crazy vid by the way. Powerful. A vid everyone should see and think about.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coming from a not too proud moment in my life i can tell you with out administering a test with a portable unit they can't "legally" do it.....i have been through this and the course you are made to take after being convicted will tell you this......if they do try, you have the right to ask for one to be administered at which time if that car doesn't have one they will have to wait for one to arrive which is equipt or take to to the station for a breath sample

and yes i agree it effects different people in different ways such as body weight, male or female, ect. i apologize for leaving that out and i'm not even arguing one way or the other but i have been in this situation before and know others who have and happen to know many facts on the subject.

different places will even give you different info i realize that too, but i was made to take a course several years ago that went very heavy into the legalities of it all and the consequences........and on that note i can tell you for a fact....you can drink one night, sleep, get up, have breakfast, head into town feeling perfectly fine.....and blow .12 believe it or not

It sounds like your talking more about being arrested for impaired driving. If this does indeed apply to the 24 hour suspension, then maybe the law has changed since my 24 hr and I stand corrected.

Agreed on the morning after impaired drivers. Those almost scare me the most as many think since they slept, ate and juiced up on coffee that they are good to go. Nothing worse than false confidence.

Always an interesting debate. Equally interesting to see the varying opinions around drinking/driving.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep as said it all depends. I'm a big guy and after a long hot day with little to eat, 1 beer is REALLY felt. Sometimes it takes 6-8 to have the same effect. There is little to no one who can accuratly gauge what their level is. And NO one can know if they are .07 or .10 without a breatholyzer. Funny though, the first one you might just get a 24 hr suspension, the other you'll be walking for a long time.

And said by teeroy, would you be happy if someone driving that nice big oversize load on the highway just had lunch with a few beers? It's the same thing right, even if your just driving a prius.....Being a hipocrit if you can drink and not them.

I gaurentee you, get into a accident that your clearly not at fault but no witnesses your word against theirs, cops do a breatholzyer you blow say .06 and the other person nothing. You will be at fault, gaurenteed.

.08 might be the law, but there's a reason blowing under is still a suspension. They are sick of people drinking and driving. Even after a few, your driving is still not as good. As obviously the biggest reason, no one is accountable for their actions and cannot make the smart decisions themselves so everyone else gets stuck with the stupid laws.

Dunno, but I like my job to....No lisence=no job for a LOT of people. Even a minor 24hr suspension you can be looking for a new job no matter how long you've been there if they want to....

Top Bottom