power steering whine

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F350 and as of last Friday the power steering pump whines a fair bit after I got stuck in the mud and was moving the steering wheel from left to right to get out. Fluid is full and I took some out and added some oil conditioner from Lucas Oils made for that purpose. Only drove it for a hr but still whines and hard to steer at low RPM. I was told by a couple guys Ford power steering is notorious for the oil to cavitate. Any ideas? New pump? Tks

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the good old ford plastic pumps are garbage replaced mine. never could understand why they would put that cheap **** on a 4x4 truck

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If the Lucas didn't help, then the pump is done... Make sure you drain as much of the old fluid out of the system as you can, when you replace the pump..... If you can, flush the system is better than just draining the fluid. That way you get all the contaminated fluid out, and prevent premature failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alberta60

Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me a couple years ago (07 F350). I had a few beers so the gf was driving, we got kinda stuck leaving camp, and in the process of trying to get unstuck she was holding the steering wheel against the stop with lots of rpms. We got out but there was very little, if any power assist. I thought the pump was dead, but after the 3hr drive home, it seemed to be a bit better. Checked the fluid and it was full of tiny bubbles/aerated. So I just kept driving it. After a week or so it was back to normal.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brothers car had a similar issue. Flushed and refilled the oil and it was good to go. I originally thought it would just temporarily fix it but it's been about 2 years now lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom