Power stearing leak

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks i have a slow leak in my powerstearing.....I think its on my stearing rack its not my pump or my hoses. Ive seen stop leak fluids that you can put into your power stearing does anybody have good experance with some fluids.

What are the best.

thanks.

P.S it hardly leaks in the summer but gets worse in the winter.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the 14.99 that lucas costs its worth it to try rather then the $400+ for a rack
i personaly like it seems to do alright at slowing/stopping leaks and does very well to quiet noisey pumps

sldgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks i have a slow leak in my powerstearing.....I think its on my stearing rack its not my pump or my hoses. Ive seen stop leak fluids that you can put into your power stearing does anybody have good experance with some fluids.

What are the best.

thanks.

P.S it hardly leaks in the summer but gets worse in the winter.

last time I had a powerstearing leak I shot the freakers and fried them up, no wait that was starlings.

sldgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DownloadedFile.jpeg
    DownloadedFile.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 119

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the color of the fluid if it is grey and dirty.

You can try a flush of the fluid.

But if real grey the rack is worn and it"s kaput

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also a special way to bleed the rack, there was a Dodge bulletin released a few years back on this.

If it leaks all the time, but worse in the winter,.. I would just think its rack seals. Also depending on your lift, you could have too much down angle on your rack ends galling the bottoms of the seals.

powderpusher

Reaction score
i would recommend having it repaired properly most likely just a seal leaking the stop leak products are a fine tempory fix for the summer but i find that it causes the ps fluid to get to thick in the cold temps in the winter and it can cause pump and hose failure and even push out seals on the rack and pinions

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If it is a dodge truck leaks where the hose goes into the cooler under the rad usually does it when it is real cold couple hose clamps fix it up

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hey folks i have a slow leak in my powerstearing.....i think its on my stearing rack its not my pump or my hoses. Ive seen stop leak fluids that you can put into your power stearing does anybody have good experance with some fluids.

What are the best.

Thanks.

P.s it hardly leaks in the summer but gets worse in the winter.

any leak is just going to continually get worse until something "blows".......i would strongly recomend get it in somewhere and get the leak diagnosed, then you can go from there..... We use lots of different "sealers" and they might be a temporary solution, but never a proper, permanent repair. I hope you are referring to the dodge 1500 that you have listed in your signature line?? Once you know what it is you can determine what the proper fix is...... Like previously mentioned, sometimes its as simple as replacing clamps, sometimes a pump, most of the times it's hoses(especially at the crimped clamps)......... Quit guessing and get it diagnosed, then you mind is at ease, and maybe we can get you solutions as to the best, quickest, and most economical repair/fix........ Just sayin':)

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad:Yup something has to be done now cause power steering sucks now ....I cant even turn the wheel unless my rpms are up... nothin for me ever seems to be a simple fix .....DAMMIT there goes my jan mountain trip AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!:rant::rant: im buyin a chev next to many stupid little problems with this truck AAAARRRRRGGGGG

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warrenty sounds like its guna cover everything !!!BOOOYEA!!!!

Top Bottom