powder coat vs anodiziing?

bathtub28

Reaction score
was looking at changing up the look of my sled by coloring or blacking out my skid, a-arms, and tunnle. was curious if anyone had any opinions or knowlege on cost,finish(shine), and duralbility between p/c and anodizing?
And on a side note, have not really looked but is there a lot of work in getting a tunnle off a sled to get colored? any and all opinions welcome and appreciated.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ooooook

annodize the tunnel powder coat the rest.

anodizing doesnt have the gloss look. but is still sharp. with the flex of the tunnel and amount of rubbing on it powdercoating just wont last. however on the rest. a-arms.skid etcetc powdercoating is the bling way to go.

and yes getting to the tunnel is a BIG job.

bathtub28

Reaction score
thanks mate! at least its summer so no down time right, now just gotta find a couple thirsty friends and an anodizer shop near me and will be off to the races.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the flex of the tunnel and amount of rubbing on it powdercoating just wont last.

I have 4 seasons on my powder coated tunnel that are just begging to disagree with that statement....:)

Powder coating is heavier than anodizing, but it sheds way more snow and so your cumulative weight difference is huge (2lbs of powder coating initially means 15 lbs less snow when riding). The biggest issue with powder coating a tunnel is traction, once you cover it with plastic, trying to get traction on the running boards is like trying to stand on a giant crazy carpet. This is something that can be fixed easily, but something to keep in mind as well.

Anodizing produces a very nice looking finished product IMO. If you have the parts polished before anodizing, they look really sharp when they are done. But this can only be done on aluminum, something else to keep in mind.

Maxwell is right though, any suspension parts should be PC'd, especially the front.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not saying it wont last. but i just know that powdercoating chips like paint so once it cracks it will flake. where as anodizing will just scratch. but thats just me. with proper prep work and a coater that knows what hes doing like modman says it will last im sure.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So who does good powder coating in the Edmonton area? Thinking of doing my rails.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of stuff done at Impact coating in Edmonton, did a great job i was very happy :)

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anderson anadizing in st albert does good work, yes I also heard that if you polish first and then anodize it will come out with better shine....That is who will be doing mine....

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anderson anadizing in st albert does good work, yes I also heard that if you polish first and then anodize it will come out with better shine....That is who will be doing mine....

His name is Kevin 780-460-6700 Good luck

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the difference between pc and anodizing is that pc is a coating (a color or a tinted clear) whereas anodizing goes right into the aluminum meaning its more permanent. pc can crack and possibly flake where the anodizing scratches. we have a bunch of pc done by the powdermill they do nice work. and yes if you polish first it will look better, like a colored chrome for anodizing pc only works like that with the tinted clear. if you have questions phone anderson anodizing(kevin) or powdermill(terry) they have the answers!!!

rat01

Reaction score
If you glass bead or use walnut shell etc on your metal surfaces before you powdercoat the coating will be much more durable and less likley to peel or flake. You just want to have a slight finish. I had a chasis for my summit mod done 5-6 years ago and have never had any chipping,peeling or flaking.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
anodizing doesnt have the gloss look.

You havn't seen my tunnel yet then?

If you polish it real good before you anodize it it turns out super shiny. Everyone thinks I powder coated my tunnel. I also anodized my rails, snow doesn't adhere to them like it would if they were raw or powdercoated.

Top Bottom