Possible problems with the 174 T3

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If BRP doesn't change a few things for production these items will most likely be problems.
- rails are not strong enough.
- back wheels should have at least 3 as a lot of track on two small little bearing. "3 inside wheels"
- drive terrain problems with the 19 tooth top gear
- possible stabbing of track without anti stab wheels due to steep attack angle.
- possible heating troubles if they did reduce cooling volume.
IMO, It would be better to have the cooling towards the front so not as much ice build up.
Cat does it and works . Install more cooling under the engine in belly pan area as well as front of tunnel.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If karl kuster has been bashing on one of these for some time now, it's not likely they'll have any issues come production time.... Keep in mind these are still prototypes and subject to changes.......... I believe rasmussen is getting some right away too, when he's back from montreal, for testing........ I'm sure any of these "problems" will be addressed, if they are problems...... Also those pics look distorted from get go...

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an anti-stab kit would be a good option to offer

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If BRP doesn't change a few things for production these items will most likely be problems.
- back wheels should have at least 3 as a lot of track on two small little bearing. "3 inside wheels"
- possible stabbing of track without anti stab wheels due to steep attack angle.
IMO, It would be better to have the cooling towards the front so not as much ice build up.
Cat does it and works . Install more cooling under the engine in belly pan area as well as front of tunnel.

Haha I was just going to make a similar thread.

Here is my thoughts

Your right about the rails. I've bent factory 163 rails so the 174 it's just that much more likely. For anyone getting a 174 I would highly suggest some form of rail stiffening. I beat the hell out of my 163 and they held up for a long time but it just takes that one wrong hit. I've also bent ice age 163 rails aswell so aftermarket is not a saviour in this case. Someone will come out with a nice rail stiffening kit I bet in the fall. Chances are most will be ok but one wrong impact on a stump or rock and you might have issues.

The 19 tooth gear....not so sure I agree it's been used now for 2 seasons with no issues. Unless you think the extra load from the 174 is the issue. Then maybe. I certainly broke lots of chains on my zx with 18 tooth top gears but never a 19 on any sled. I built an 08 xp 174 and it never failed a chain in 2 seasons with 19 top gear.

Yes on the wheels. Wouldn't hurt to add another. But again no issues with the 163 2 wheel setup and according to brp this track weighs the same with the diet it went on. So I can't see it being an issue but I would like to see 3.

Heating issues......all I can say is that snowflap recycles snow well and the t3 comes with forward mounted rail scratchers which work well. I've seen them. A large majority of the cooling on the trail comes in the last 12" or so of the back end of the sled. That's all cat used to run was a mini cooler in the rear. Brp has shortened the cooler under the seat and I feel no serious amount of cooling happens in this area anyways. Front cooler and rear of the sled is the most important and they are both still there. I can run a 163 with no flap no scratchers and no Heating issues so I think with the factory scratchers down there will be no problems. I think that's one reason why they felt they needed to add these from the factory is because of possible heating issues without.

Do we know the attack angle is steeper? Has anyone measured it? Just my thinking that with a longer chaincase by 27mm and the skid moved forger back it should at least be the same angle as the 2014? Then again the front is 25mm higher.

One thing I can see happening is guys complaining about loosing lugs while trying to access Allan creek in October up the rocky waterfall spinning at 100kmh and not moving.

I know brp has implemented new policies since the issues in 2008 to ensure that big issues never happen again. Like mentioned guys like Carl and whatnot bashing around on these things gives a guy great confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Haha I was just going to make a similar thread.

Here is my thoughts

Your right about the rails. I've bent factory 163 rails so the 174 it's just that much more likely. For anyone getting a 174 I would highly suggest some form of rail stiffening. I beat the hell out of my 163 and they held up for a long time but it just takes that one wrong hit. I've also bent ice age 163 rails aswell so aftermarket is not a saviour in this case. Someone will come out with a nice rail stiffening kit I bet in the fall. Chances are most will be ok but one wrong impact on a stump or rock and you might have issues.

The 19 tooth gear....not so sure I agree it's been used now for 2 seasons with no issues. Unless you think the extra load from the 174 is the issue. Then maybe. I certainly broke lots of chains on my zx with 18 tooth top gears but never a 19 on any sled. I built an 08 xp 174 and it never failed a chain in 2 seasons with 19 top gear.

Yes on the wheels. Wouldn't hurt to add another. But again no issues with the 163 2 wheel setup and according to brp this track weighs the same with the diet it went on. So I can't see it being an issue but I would like to see 3.

Heating issues......all I can say is that snowflap recycles snow well and the t3 comes with forward mounted rail scratchers which work well. I've seen them. A large majority of the cooling on the trail comes in the last 12" or so of the back end of the sled. That's all cat used to run was a mini cooler in the rear. Brp has shortened the cooler under the seat and I feel no serious amount of cooling happens in this area anyways. Front cooler and rear of the sled is the most important and they are both still there. I can run a 163 with no flap no scratchers and no Heating issues so I think with the factory scratchers down there will be no problems. I think that's one reason why they felt they needed to add these from the factory is because of possible heating issues without.

Do we know the attack angle is steeper? Has anyone measured it? Just my thinking that with a longer chaincase by 27mm and the skid moved forger back it should at least be the same angle as the 2014? Then again the front is 25mm higher.

One thing I can see happening is guys complaining about loosing lugs while trying to access Allan creek in October up the rocky waterfall spinning at 100kmh and not moving.

I know brp has implemented new policies since the issues in 2008 to ensure that big issues never happen again. Like mentioned guys like Carl and whatnot bashing around on these things gives a guy great confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

you typed that out on your phone?

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep rails are pencil thin,bent my 146 fairly easy...they need alot more meat from the tip up back or a rail brace that goes to the back wheels...track stabbing looks like it will be an issue,those rail tips are going to wear fast,especially if limit strap is loose

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you do get stuck all your buddies will still in the another area code, and that 174 when it is stuck and full of snow will be a real bitch to pull around by yourself

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its hilarious. we are talking 4-5 inches here and everytalks like this thing is 10 feet longer.

ive had many 174 sleds. you cant tell a loss in power, you cant tell much loss in trackspeed. couple km/h maybe. granted it is still a loss. but this new track is lighter and more flexible so haters gona hate LOL

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you do get stuck all your buddies will still in the another area code, and that 174 when it is stuck and full of snow will be a real bitch to pull around by yourself

Actually when you know how to ride that type of sled, you'll find that a 174 will get stuck alot less and when you learn how to get unstuck, you will find a 174 is easier to get unstuck and not harder.

its hilarious. we are talking 4-5 inches here and everytalks like this thing is 10 feet longer.

ive had many 174 sleds. you cant tell a loss in power, you cant tell much loss in trackspeed. couple km/h maybe. granted it is still a loss. but this new track is lighter and more flexible so haters gona hate LOL

Contrary to popular believe you actually donot loss track speed with the longer 174, you actually can gain speed as you donot trench or sink as much thus less resistance gets applied to the clutches. In other words your little 800 will use less HP pulling a 174" track up a hill then a 163" up the same hill in deep snow.
On hard pack very little is noticed between a 163 and a 174, once the rolling resistance is overtakin. The 174 is a superior option in every way.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rails are getting weaker every year. I have had deep discussions with many on this. It's weak to begin with and stretched out way past any type of durability. The the gears are a no brainier, change them every season. I will buy one this season and I'm a poo guy. Simple fact ,I put put, all over the place and I'm not getting younger.

Top Bottom