Active VIP Member
Reaction score

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rc's are on a rampage in RD lately! They get heavy on citizens closer to the end of each month! Just think about it, everyone's got a boss to answer too........

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old wives tale.
The police will have a blitz, but no such thing as a "quota".

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last week of every month between Red Water and Ministik I'll see an average of 5 a day, but any other week in the month, may only ever see one, but the last week Radar detector is beeping steady.

I'm thinking they run it like safety at work, if your not handing in incidents your not doing your job, so if you cant find any incidents they expect you to hunt down and find some, We are expected to hand in two incidents a month as well as two job task obsevisons that we do on other workers,

Think cops need to do the same, justify their job, if they aint given out x amount of tickets then "managment" will cut back on the numbers, and some may lose their jobs.

Thats just my theory,

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
In Winnipeg, a quota plus police are told to triple the amount of tickets!

Officers in one of Winnipeg’s most crime-plagued areas are under orders to triple the number of traffic tickets issued every month, sources say, sparking criticism that the priorities of the police brass are out of line.
The directive came in a recent e-mail to officers in Division 11 — basically, the downtown.
The e-mail outlined the “expectation” to issue between 650 and 700 provincial offence notices each month, sources say. The figure translates roughly to one ticket per officer, per shift. Since officers primarily work in pairs, it means two tags per cruiser car.
While the message in other police districts hasn’t apparently been quite that direct, officers are facing mounting pressure from the brass to ticket drivers.
The union for Winnipeg police officers is concerned the shift towards increased traffic enforcement could cut the amount of time officers can dedicate to other duties, like responding to calls or investigating crimes.
“It will take away from other initiatives. We don’t have a quota for robbery arrests,” said Mike Sutherland, president of the Winnipeg Police Association.
The ticket push is mostly about making money, Sutherland suggested.
“The police service has been told it has millions of dollars to slash from the budget. It’s too much of a coincidence on the heels of city hall saying to slash the budget, and then this,” he said.
Mayor Sam Katz said council didn’t tell police to start handing out more offence notices, adding police always have what he called a “target” when it comes to tickets.
“I don’t know what it is this year. But it’s nothing new,” Katz said.
In 2009, Chief Keith McCaskill cited a 74% decline in the number of tickets and issued a quota to every officer to nab at least one or two traffic scofflaws each shift.
When it comes to the police service, Katz said politicians “can’t issue directives,” although he noted he made a “request” about overtime within the department.
“We should have less overtime,” he said.
Considering Winnipeg’s violent crime rate, the police administration’s decision to issue a traffic ticket quota is questionable, suggested the head of a taxpayer lobby group.
“Last year Winnipeg set a record for the most murders in a year. This year they’re cracking down on law-abiding citizens. I think their priorities are askew,” said Colin Craig, Prairie director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
On Wednesday, police declined comment on traffic tickets. The refusal came one day after police issued a rare statement supporting officers for issuing a cellphone ticket on Portage Avenue to a 74-year-old man who claims he doesn’t even own a mobile device.
Lazlo Piszker reportedly plans to fight the ticket in court.

Last edited:

crazeejames

Reaction score
You can call it a quota or whatever you want, but in reality its just a budget..........they(city, province etc) plan their budgets each year with "x" amount of revenues coming from traffic violations etc........and if they are coming up short all they have to do is go cherry pick on citizens............its not rocket science, its just business...........not that I agree with it, I believe they could be better spending our tax dollars concentrating on real crimes..........but thats a whole other arguement...........

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think traffic cops do... because if i get pulled over buy the regular guys (dark jackets) i usually get told wtf... slow down... if he's a shariff or wearing a bright yellow jacket your hooped!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can call it a quota or whatever you want, but in reality its just a budget..........they(city, province etc) plan their budgets each year with "x" amount of revenues coming from traffic violations etc........and if they are coming up short all they have to do is go cherry pick on citizens............its not rocket science, its just business...........not that I agree with it, I believe they could be better spending our tax dollars concentrating on real crimes..........but thats a whole other arguement...........

I just wanna know... if for cops (top brasss) case law is so important... how come BC found photo radar "unconstitutional" but in Alberta every town has one... tell me this isn't for revenue? Say whatever you want... about traffic cops but at least its upfront... no way no how is photo radar slowing anyone down... you find out one month later you got a ticket and don't even remember being there... just makes you hate the system...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
THAT is a crappy Safety Management System....

Just sayin...

Last week of every month between Red Water and Ministik I'll see an average of 5 a day, but any other week in the month, may only ever see one, but the last week Radar detector is beeping steady.

I'm thinking they run it like safety at work, if your not handing in incidents your not doing your job, so if you cant find any incidents they expect you to hunt down and find some, We are expected to hand in two incidents a month as well as two job task obsevisons that we do on other workers,

Think cops need to do the same, justify their job, if they aint given out x amount of tickets then "managment" will cut back on the numbers, and some may lose their jobs.

Thats just my theory,

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't need a quota, sit at 99% of stop signs in edmonton and you will catch someone every few minutes at most, even if they are in a marked car in plain view. Or really if they paid attention driving around they could ticket SO many people it's all they'd do in a shift and would never keep up. Between stop sign runners, not signaling, crossing 3-4 lanes at a time, cutting people off, u-turns in stupid spots, etc the gov't could get rich off all the crappy drivers.

I would welcome them coming in full force on bad drivers and writing tickets like crazy.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't need a quota, sit at 99% of stop signs in edmonton and you will catch someone every few minutes at most, even if they are in a marked car in plain view. Or really if they paid attention driving around they could ticket SO many people it's all they'd do in a shift and would never keep up. Between stop sign runners, not signaling, crossing 3-4 lanes at a time, cutting people off, u-turns in stupid spots, etc the gov't could get rich off all the crappy drivers.

I would welcome them coming in full force on bad drivers and writing tickets like crazy.

what is your truck licence # and i'll give them a heads up.

Top Bottom