polaris troubles!!!!need help!

chucky39

Reaction score
Im writing for my buddy. He has a 2010 rmk that will run for about 20mins then die. It won't start or anything until it sits for about a couple hours then do the same thing. Had it a dealer for about a month and he can't figure it out, change everything on it with electrical down to programing. wants to change the motor now, i think it might be something stupid that he might be overlooking, just wondering if anybody out there has experienced anything like this before, we want to go to the mountains but no sled! any information would help!!!

Thanks chucky

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need a little more info. Is there spark all the time? What about fuel? Is there something floating in the tank? Fuel filter changed?
Coolant temps when it's shutting down? Compression? Recent work done to it? Under what conditions does it quit, and run? Other symptoms?
What do the plugs look like when it dies? Is it flooding, etc...

chucky39

Reaction score
the sled dosn't seem to be flooding, he says it only reaches about 7500rpm wide open and then it starts fluttering. When it shuts down there is no spark or anything, pretty much have to let it sit for it to start again. the conditions don't seem to matter at all

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if it has no spark when it does die, how does letting it sit allow it to regain spark? Only thing I can think of is, something is getting hot electrically. Has anyone tested the coil?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Classic symptom of a bad stator. Check with the dealer and see if he replaced it or not. If not see if you can borrow one to try it.

chucky39

Reaction score
no the stator has been changed. The dealer is stumped on it said he has never ran into this problem before, pretty much changed all the wiring on the sled and still doing it, he wants to change the motor out next, but when it runs it seems to run fine nobody seems to know

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the math. If its loosing spark, it has to be electrical. Is the flywheel out of time? Did they replace it with a new stator? There has been cases where new parts are faulty. Try replacing the harnesses. Pin it all out and see if there's something weird. What about the stop button? Or the the throttle switch in the thumb lever?

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think it is something heat and electrical related. I wouldn't let the dealer do anything to the motor itself unless they are covering it on warranty.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand how changing the motor could help. Get hold of some cooling spray that is used in the electronic service industry for cooling components and spray it on the ECU and voltage regulator when the condition occurs to see if you can get spark right away. I am thinking of a product like MG Chemicals Super Cold.

stevecain

Reaction score
Its you voltage regulator and or ecu computer had the same thing happen to my sled its a very common problem with the iq chassis.

assaultbear

Reaction score
My 2010 Assault kacked on me coming down off Boulder. Noticed the gauge cluster go out a couple times first. Changed voltage regulator and working good again. Now realize voltage had been quite high on display for some time prior to failure.

hobiedude

Reaction score
Now realize voltage had been quite high on display for some time prior to failure.

There's a volts display?

I've got a 2010 Dragon and cooked the regulator after 1/2 hour of riding on the very first day. Just did another one today(May 2 2013), I think. Runs fine, then gauges quit, runs for a little while longer, then dies. Let it sit for a 5-10 minutes, and repeat. Quit about 6-8 times getting out of the back area at 10k (I think its called 22k back there). Very happy to get out.

Rustifer

Reaction score
I know it sounds silly, but a friend of mine put a 3" riser on his 2010 dragon without extending the cables (he though they were long enough). Long story short after half a season or so the harness to the handlebars rubbed thru until they caused it to stop occaisionally.

Top Bottom