Polaris Sportsman 90 no start

vppower

Reaction score
got my kid a Polaris sportsman 90 but it won't start. I changed the battery, and put in a new ignition switch (key was missing). It cranks over fine but there is no spark. I have done some reading and I think I need to clean the stator contacts, or check the connections? Where are these parts located? I'm a mechanic but this is new to me.

vppower

Reaction score
Tether switch not the issue. I jumpered it and still no spark. The quad was running when it was parked, last spring. I'm hoping this won't be a major repair. It has to be something simple.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I would try a new spark plug. I used to have a couple old bikes that would do that, running when i parked them but in the spring, no spark and even if i cleaned them still wouldn't go till i replaced with a new unit

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Did you put the jumper across both terminals? If yes the try with out jumper. Some machines are a grounding kill so no contact is necessary. Check for spark with the spark plug out if none and you done the kill switch stuff then move onto the coil and make sure you have voltage there with a multimeter. Coil or ignition modual is usually located under the fenders up high at the front or back depending on the make and model of machine. Good luck electrical problems are usually hard to find.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a sportsman 90 for a while, couldnt get it started in the woods so we came back to camp, a fellow quader came over to help us tuned on the kill switch and kicked it over! embarrasing:)lol

Top Bottom