Polaris RZR issues?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Polaris RZR anyone know of any issues with these machines?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for a year now and the only thing I've had to replace was a front wheel bearing, its a great machine and I'd buy it again tomorrow.
I'd try to work some better wheels and tires in the deal cause its the first thing you'll change, oh and get a 4000lb winch as well. :)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he gets the rzr-s it already comes with bighorns.

One complaint I have heard is they sit so low to the ground and always bottoming out.

Also the winch deal sometimes isn't so great, they say its a good deal, but in most cases you can get a winch off ebay like a GOOD viper Extreme 4000 for cheaper than the warn.

Don't finance accessories its a waste of money.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife got her rzr in July
900 km on it now
RDC 2 inch lift takes care of bottoming out.
Winch is a must.

She will not give it up for any quad.:d
No problems or issues.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info guys. ya all i want to start off is a winch and a front windshield to start off with. I'm just waiting for my sled to sell then I'll probably be down at the polaris dealer the next day. I can't wait to have something i can take my daughter along with me in.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lift kit is around 200.00
It takes maybe a hour and 3 beer to put in.

Also it helps the clearance a lot.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sumx54 has one as a rental.I'm sure he'll chime in here,but far as I know it's been rode hard all summer and I don't recall him having any problems.Do a search.I know this topic has been discussed here already.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt put a lift kit in one, it puts alot of strain in the front end, as for issues from what i can remember from my research the front end, both the cage in the front dif is weak, and the hubs at the wheel are both really common as well if you jump them and are giving them gas the rear diff hits the hitch on the frame and breaks the case of the diff apart, polaris is not very good about warrentying any of the common problems either. there is also some clutch and motor issues through various years as well, most have not really been addressed. i am not trying to discourage you but i bought a rhino and am glad i did after going riding with a rzr.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW i am not trying to sound biased, nothing is perfect and if you want i will tell you the weak points of the rhino as well.I broke a few things as well, i personally believe none of the sxs's have a decent front end they all break,

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Sumx54 has one as a rental.I'm sure he'll chime in here,but far as I know it's been rode hard all summer and I don't recall him having any problems.Do a search.I know this topic has been discussed here already.

Yes I have one on my rental fleet and it has been rode hard to say the least. Front wheel bearings, brakes and one belt in 2700 rental MILES. I'll have two more 2010's on my fleet for next season for sure. One thing I did do was cut the recommended maintainence schedule in half though and I always kept the front diff oil NEW.

scorpio

Reaction score
Here's an answer based on experience as I have a 2008 Rzr with over 1000 kms of hard riding. And I have read alot of info at a dedicated rzr forums site.

The biggest issue is with sand getting into the throttle body. If you ride alot of sand then go with an aftermarket airbox for about $500, or you can go with the 80/20 rule and snorkel it so that you aren't sucking in air from under the rear box. Also, Polaris came out with a new air filter that seems to be working very well.

You may find some grinding noise in the front axles, to fix this you need to torque the front hub nuts to 80 ft-lbs.

The Rubberdown 2" lift will not cause you any issues with axle angles. Lots of guys including myself run them and no one has had any issues with breaking axles. The 3" lift that is available even gets good reviews but RD's kit is awesome.

You might want to go with some Highlifter springs as the stock ones will sag under the weight of a lot of mud, significantly reducing your ground clearance.

Hardcore dune racers add the gusset kit and the rear frame gusset to stiffen things up.

If you buy one, you will not regret it.

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i strongly suggest going to the RZR-S if you are considering lifting, putting on better tires or anything like that...it is designed for it and will have less chance of any issues...

night and day difference between the two machines...suspension is way better on the RZR-S...i picked one up early this year and i love it...

here is a website that will answer any questions you could ever have about either machine...mud & snow is an awesome forum, but this one is soley dedicated to RZR's...snow & mud is home, but i use this one for RZR specific issues

Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

one other thing to note - warranty on the RZR is only 6 months - not the year as i assumed...might want to wait till spring to buy so you get more miles on in the first 6 months so any issues will show up before warranty expires...

just a note - i shopped around quite extensively - when all said & done the dealer in Barrhead was about $1500 cheaper on the RZR-S and accessories...well worth the drive!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We looked at the rzr-s
We needed the narrow model because of fitting in our toyhauler.

Our friends have a rzr-s and yes for sure ride and going over rough ground is great.

Kind of a choice of needs I guess.
My wife has 900km on her rzr with no problems

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt put a lift kit in one, it puts alot of strain in the front end, as for issues from what i can remember from my research the front end, both the cage in the front dif is weak, and the hubs at the wheel are both really common as well if you jump them and are giving them gas the rear diff hits the hitch on the frame and breaks the case of the diff apart, polaris is not very good about warrentying any of the common problems either. there is also some clutch and motor issues through various years as well, most have not really been addressed. i am not trying to discourage you but i bought a rhino and am glad i did after going riding with a rzr.

You have no clue what your talking about,none of the above is based on facts ...sorry

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have no clue what your talking about,none of the above is based on facts ...sorry

well going on facts all i can say is i have never seen anyone own one that has been anything close to reliable, in fact i have only even seen one polaris 4x4 ever that has been decent for reliable, it was a 400 2 stroke sportsman, seen lots of 500's that were problems not sure how they could ever get an 800 to stand up,oh yeah they dont either, but every once in a while they screw up and someone gets one that works well.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well going on facts all i can say is i have never seen anyone own one that has been anything close to reliable, in fact i have only even seen one Polaris 4x4 ever that has been decent for reliable, it was a 400 2 stroke sportsman, seen lots of 500's that were problems not sure how they could ever get an 800 to stand up,oh yeah they dont either, but every once in a while they screw up and someone gets one that works well.

I've never been a fan of Polaris and never will but I've had my rzr for two years now and the only thing I've replaced is a front wheel barring, not to bad I'd say.
As for the lift, I've got a 2" high lifter on mine, could have easily gone with the three as the cv's are still only at a slight angle. I plan on putting on some high lifter springs over the winter.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well going on facts all i can say is i have never seen anyone own one that has been anything close to reliable, in fact i have only even seen one polaris 4x4 ever that has been decent for reliable, it was a 400 2 stroke sportsman, seen lots of 500's that were problems not sure how they could ever get an 800 to stand up,oh yeah they dont either, but every once in a while they screw up and someone gets one that works well.

How can you comment when you don`t own one ? What does the older 500`s have to do with a rzr, they are two totally different machines.
I ride with a rhino that the front diff went 2nd time out, does that mean all rhinos are junk? I don`t own one so i can`t comment on it because i don`t know how it was ridden or maintained or moddified !

I can tell you that mine has over a 1000 miles of hard mud and trails with no problems at all. I guess your rhino is faster than a rzr too ..... lol

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i sayz huuuuuh had absolutley no warranty issues with mine broke one cage on a hard jump my fault not polaris fault never had an axle or wheen issue on my 09 oh and your rhino wont do 65mph stock or 75 mph modded yes mph not being biased depends if you want sporty or work built machine nothing against rhino i like them too but both have their place

Top Bottom