Polaris RZR 4x4 NOT working

SaskDragon

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am in desperate help!! I have a 2008 Polaris RZR 800 and my 4x4 has been acting up. When i engage the 4x4 the light on the switch lights up, but as soon as i go it doesn't wanna work. What happens is when i get stuck and start revving up the machine it all of a sudden kicks in out of no-where!! Is it electric or is it clutch issues. Please help

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am in desperate help!! I have a 2008 Polaris RZR 800 and my 4x4 has been acting up. When i engage the 4x4 the light on the switch lights up, but as soon as i go it doesn't wanna work. What happens is when i get stuck and start revving up the machine it all of a sudden kicks in out of no-where!! Is it electric or is it clutch issues. Please help

Buddy had one that had the same problem. If there is no grinding and banging coming from the front diff cage then check the dash switch. We cleaned the contacts inside the switch and had 4x4 again. Simple fix but might be the problem. IMO find a higher quality switch that fits and throw out the old one.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
deffinately sounds like the cage in the front dif is broken. check out www.superatv.com they have an aluminum one for the rzr. it is less then the polaris one and you shouldn't have problems breaking them anymore.

SaskDragon

Reaction score
Thanx guys for the info. Sounds like its that cage. It grinds bad when it does kick in so i'll change the cage and go from there! Thanxs

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
DO NOT change the cage with original parts which are composite, ask for the metal one. Change oil OFTEN. They say to use only polaris front diff oil but this is a crock 'O' shite. Use a full synthetic ATF which is half the price and the same thing. I have 2850 miles on a "rental" unit that has been rode hard and put away wet to say the least, with no front diff problems what so ever. Good Luck :beer:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
DO NOT change the cage with original parts which are composite, ask for the metal one. Change oil OFTEN. They say to use only polaris front diff oil but this is a crock 'O' shite. Use a full synthetic ATF which is half the price and the same thing. I have 2850 miles on a "rental" unit that has been rode hard and put away wet to say the least, with no front diff problems what so ever. Good Luck :beer:

you saying your rental unit was "ridden like a rental"?

hogwild

Reaction score
does polaris change the cage to aluminum when they fail and are fixed under waranty?.mine went and was changed just wondering because it is starting to act up again definatly a week spot still on warranty but dont see sence in doing another plastic one

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does polaris change the cage to aluminum when they fail and are fixed under waranty?.mine went and was changed just wondering because it is starting to act up again definatly a week spot still on warranty but dont see sence in doing another plastic one

Nope polaris warranty will only replace with polaris oem parts.... Supposedly the '09 has a better cage..:confused:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Change the oil more often than the 50 hrs??

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with different dealers, some are covering this problem.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Change the oil more often than the 50 hrs??

oh ya forsure...I change mine about every 10-20 hrs or at least once a week. you can change the front diff oil in less than 5 minutes and can get like 4 or more oil changes out of one liter of oil for under $10. I can't remember the amount of oil it takes...you just fill it till it runs out the fill hole...prolly about 200ml...ish. Buy one of those little hose adapters for oil jugs from crappy tire for $5... makes it a snap. Real easy maintainece for added piece of mind. Don't over tighten the drain plug ;) Also make sure you re-route the diff vent lines UP higher. The front diff is prone to taking on water which is the number one diff KILLER.:eek:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh ya forsure...I change mine about every 10-20 hrs or at least once a week. you can change the front diff oil in less than 5 minutes and can get like 4 or more oil changes out of one liter of oil for under $10. I can't remember the amount of oil it takes...you just fill it till it runs out the fill hole...prolly about 200ml...ish. Buy one of those little hose adapters for oil jugs from crappy tire for $5... makes it a snap. Real easy maintainece for added piece of mind. Don't over tighten the drain plug ;) Also make sure you re-route the diff vent lines UP higher. The front diff is prone to taking on water which is the number one diff KILLER.:eek:

Thanks,I have been changing all fluids every 50 hrs.
I will do it more often.
Since it's my wifes rzr maybe she should do the work..:d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should only put 5oz in the front diff. any more or less and the dif will not engage and disengage properly. also polaris does not offer an aluminum replacement at this time. i change my fluid every 40 hours and never have problems. the cage breaking usually has to do with doing wheelies or enaging the 4x4 when you are stuck and the rear tires are spinning.

on another note. using anything other then the polaris fluid can potentially cause the armature plate to magnetize which will make you 4x4 enage when you don't want it to.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should only put 5oz in the front diff. any more or less and the dif will not engage and disengage properly. also polaris does not offer an aluminum replacement at this time. i change my fluid every 40 hours and never have problems. the cage breaking usually has to do with doing wheelies or enaging the 4x4 when you are stuck and the rear tires are spinning.

i say HUH never done either to break mine but they do break when spinning all 4 and one front catches traction one heck of a noise too grab a tree hoist it up and toolls change on trail in 45 min

Top Bottom