Polaris Dragon 700 or 800 which to buy? problems?

Richee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade from my current beginner sled, and have my eyes on either a Polaris Dragon 700 or 800. However I have read there are many issues with the 800's such as the motor burning down every other ride.

Its seems that the 700's are pretty reliable, but they are more few and far between...are the 700's still decent on power even though they are 100cc less?? I'm sure that there are plenty of aftermarket add ons to bring them up in HP but what about just being stock?

I read that some reasons for the 800's blowin up are:

1. the ethanol in the fuel is hard on the motors
2. they run to lean in the mid range
3. the path which the coolant takes can super cool the front of the motor after sitting for 5-10 min and shocks the pistons and cylinders causing premature wear
4. the fuel filter clogs easily causing shortage of fuel which in turn leans the motor to much

I have researched all the other brands and decided I like Polaris, so simply telling me to buy a Ski doo or Arctic cat won't help me, and the 07 08 09 Dragons are in my price range.

Also any news from Polaris as to reasons for the problems or solutions??

Thanks ahead of time for all the help!! I can't wait to scare the sh** out of myself on a Dragon!! :headbanger:

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get an 800 and the Power Commander V 350$ish problem solved.
You'll love your sled.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 700 does seem to be more reliable than the 800, but not all 800 Dragons are unreliable. My 08 has been rock solid for 1500 miles, lots of guys getting good results for much longer. There are some after market fixes coming out to try and make the engines more reliable. If you like Polaris don't let all the negative stuff on here scare you off.

Trench:d

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you riding now?? I would avoid an 800 they are a grenade ready to go off. Some people get lucky , but not many. There is a fair difference in power between the 7 and 8. You need to look at what kinda riding your gonna do. Honestly i would buy an M8 not what you want to hear but my 2 cents. My buddy has a Dragon 800 with low miles so no grenade YET! He is a die hard Polaris guy and when he rode with some M 8,s he said he wished he had bought one instead!!! I hope he doesn,t grenade a motor but i,m sure he will eventually . Seems pretty likely given the stats on the 800 dragon,s.

So pretty much save yourself th epain and DON,T buy an 800 dragon. Do a search on here about them.
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/stop-supporting-chit-bags-45528.html

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
2 of em, no issues and I love the Dragon in all applications, recall done, not excessive miles, but runs flawlessly. 03 Pro X with an 04 800 RMK motor under the hood, never a moments problem other than a cooler hose leak under the tunnel, before that, 98 XC700 that is still running,,

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't take long for the polaris haters to get on here!!! Due to all the internet talk about the polaris 800 blowing up you can pick one up for cheap. For $585 U.S. you can get the fix from PMS motor sports out of Idaho. The idea behind it is that the Polaris pistons are to short and rock in the cylinder bore, causing the skirts to fail. The kit includes a spacer for between the case and clylinder, and longer pistons to stop this from happening. If I didn't buy a new Pro Ride I would have done this on my 800 Dragon, just for peace of mind.

Trench:d

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have researched all the other brands and decided I like Polaris, so simply telling me to buy a Ski doo or Arctic cat won't help me, and the 07 08 09 Dragons are in my price range.

Seems some people don't bother reading, before answering.

Trench:rant:

Richee

Reaction score
I checked their website and couldn't find the piston kit you were talking about... where is it listed? Thanks!

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Timbo's thread in the Polaris IQ section " some hope for the 800cfi "
PM him and quiz him.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya don't believe all the Polaris haters out there.The D700 and 800 are great sleds.I have an 09 D800 and my wife has an 09 RMK700,both easy start.Power wise the 800 has more torque and bottom end grunt.The 700 is no slouch as I have ridden it myself all day and like it very much.I have 1200 trouble free miles on my updated D800.I always use shell 91,sealed the headlite to air box,never hold the throttle steady,always ride between 4500-7500',warm up sled well.I do prefer my protaper bars over the RMK bars.Regardless to what most flatlanders say the D800 is a good sled.If your super worried look for a RMK700 but they are getting harder to find

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'm one of the lucky one's I guess, I have owned three 800 Dragons and one 07/700 Dragon. Sold the 700 today to nice people, put 4300 miles on the 08 163 with no issues or up date, have 1900 miles on the 09 155, not one issue, only have 950 miles on my 09 163.... I have never had a belt blow up, I change them every 1200 miles just cause!! have replaced a couple hoods, front bumpers, and countless windshields. I buy Polaris gold synthetic oil by the barrel, and run shell gold 99% of the time!! I have used Chevron a couple times in Revy. I am now riding a 2011 Assault :d, there has to be deep powder before I back a Dragon out of the trailer, the 2011 is wicked!!!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade from my current beginner sled, and have my eyes on either a Polaris Dragon 700 or 800. However I have read there are many issues with the 800's such as the motor burning down every other ride.

Its seems that the 700's are pretty reliable, but they are more few and far between...are the 700's still decent on power even though they are 100cc less?? I'm sure that there are plenty of aftermarket add ons to bring them up in HP but what about just being stock?

I read that some reasons for the 800's blowin up are:

1. the ethanol in the fuel is hard on the motors
2. they run to lean in the mid range
3. the path which the coolant takes can super cool the front of the motor after sitting for 5-10 min and shocks the pistons and cylinders causing premature wear
4. the fuel filter clogs easily causing shortage of fuel which in turn leans the motor to much

Also any news from Polaris as to reasons for the problems or solutions??

Thanks ahead of time for all the help!! I can't wait to scare the sh** out of myself on a Dragon!! :headbanger:

The only reason the fuel filter would "clog easily" would be because of contaminated fuel. A filter that clogs is doing it's job. :d:beer:

Of course it could be due to crappy filters.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom