Polaris Clutch on Summitt 800 HO

s/b tech

Reaction score
My TRA primary clutch augered itself to pieces. Ordered up a polaris p85 with Doo taper. Put in Blue primary spring from comet and 65 gram heavy hitter weights from thunder products. What an awsome mod.:d Engagement is smooth and excelleration is amazing and strong no matter the rpm. Top rpm is 8100 around here. Has anyone had similar success with this set-up and or any other modification that has worked extrmely well.:beer::):d

finndoo

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing that for a while but am a little hesitant, I do not want a bunch of tuning problems that drive me crazy. Where did you order it from, what sled did you put it on, and how much $ for the clutch with doo taper?

s/b tech

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing that for a while but am a little hesitant, I do not want a bunch of tuning problems that drive me crazy. Where did you order it from, what sled did you put it on, and how much $ for the clutch with doo taper?

The clutch was 550$, the heavy hitter weights were 260$ and the comet spring 30$. Got the parts from Supreme Marine & Sled. I have an 03 800 HO Summitt X Highmark, ZX chassis. The only other thing I had to do was align the clutches.:d:):d

The other benefit is that if I need to replace parts on the p85 in the future, they are a whole lot cheaper than the doo parts on the tra.:beer::beer:

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 800 doo and ya I had enough of the TRA . I blew a couple apart and was sick of spending all the money at Doo to fix them. I bought the P85 set up from Mountain Magic. called them ,told them where I like to ride. Elevations etc. Told them what style of riding I do. Mountain Magic had the cluth delivered in 5 days. $800 to my door. The best clutch I have ever ran. The set up they sent me has worked great. No tweaking needed.

s/b tech

Reaction score
I have an 06 800 doo and ya I had enough of the TRA . I blew a couple apart and was sick of spending all the money at Doo to fix them. I bought the P85 set up from Mountain Magic. called them ,told them where I like to ride. Elevations etc. Told them what style of riding I do. Mountain Magic had the cluth delivered in 5 days. $800 to my door. The best clutch I have ever ran. The set up they sent me has worked great. No tweaking needed.

I hear ya!!!! Should have done this a long time ago:d

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put the p 85 and team tied on my 04 800 from mountain magic and the sled is like a new machine pulls hard everywhere you wont regret it.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the exact reason for P85's breaking off crank stubs? I have very minimal experience with a P85, im just curious

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what breaks the crank stub but my cousin got about 600KM before I had to tow him out of Renshaw. Pricy repair and even though he liked the performance gain he put a TRA clutch on his NEW crank.

salbendidi

Reaction score
once you put the p85 on a skidoo you get 85 more hp. the skidoo crank just cant hold the power, and bang you know the rest.

mtnrev

Reaction score
I have a friend that has broken two Crank stubs on his 08 XP with a TRA.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a P 85 to doo clutch puller for sale as I dont need it anymore, Also part of the broken crank stub club, lucky me lol

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the exact reason for P85's breaking off crank stubs? I have very minimal experience with a P85, im just curious

Ive never heard of this happening but the only thing I can think of is not having the clutch balanced. Maybe thats why I have never heard of it. All the ones I know about have had the clutch balanced.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2!!

i have heard this a couple times myself. Is it because the TRA has the balancer for the engine built into the clutch? If so i wonder if the Cat 800HO clutches would work, noticed they have big balancers on the backside.

s/b tech

Reaction score
Took the sled out on the weekend and it definitly felt like it had more power or maybe just a differnt feel to how the power was delivered. It was still awsome:d:beer:

Just a thought; If the polaris clutch was that out of balance you would hear all kinds of horror stories of plolaris cranks snapping all the time. I did put the heavy hitter weights in the clutch and weighed each one to make sure that they were the same.

Could it be that the doo crank is maybe not as strong as it should be or is just an 800R issue:confused: I have an 800HO, don't know if it matters but so far so good.:):beer:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the sled out on the weekend and it definitly felt like it had more power or maybe just a differnt feel to how the power was delivered. It was still awsome:d:beer:

Just a thought; If the polaris clutch was that out of balance you would hear all kinds of horror stories of plolaris cranks snapping all the time. I did put the heavy hitter weights in the clutch and weighed each one to make sure that they were the same.

Could it be that the doo crank is maybe not as strong as it should be or is just an 800R issue:confused: I have an 800HO, don't know if it matters but so far so good.:):beer:

keep use up dated,you sound as excited as i WAS take note when you shut your sled off,how much harder it is to pull over and how you feet viberate,i'm in a wheel chair,so i felt it in the handle bars,maybe it was just my sled .

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where would a guy take a clutch to ge balanced and what does it normally cost Thanks.

Top Bottom