Polaris 850 vs Alpha vs 850 doo on the hill

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo has built a nice easy to ride package that appeals to many riders. Cat and Polaris are going for the more serious rider that demands performance and scalpel like control. Riding on edge has its rewards but demands a bit more effort. Every guy I know that rides Polaris has "Polaris Elbow". (AKA tennis elbow)
It comes down to market research of what the masses really want as to what really sells.

Or maybe the elbow issues are related to all the twisting action from changing fouled spark plugs and trying to pull start sleds with messed up TPS's? I will give credit to Polaris for making it easy to get the goods off. Can't wait to see Rassmussen's face when you tell him he's not a serious rider....LOL!

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe the elbow issues are related to all the twisting action from changing fouled spark plugs and trying to pull start sleds with messed up TPS's? I will give credit to Polaris for making it easy to get the goods off. Can't wait to see Rassmussen's face when you tell him he's not a serious rider....LOL!

You noticed that "Ride Rasmussen Style" Banner on that TethAir banner too eh?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just ribbing Chris! He had invited me to ride with Rasmussen a few years ago down in Utah. For a small guy in his mid to late fifties he completely kicked my a$$! Made me realize very quickly I had a LOT to learn.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True. after a season on my cat’s riding doo’s feels weird now. It’s all what your used to. Sleds aren’t like pick up trucks. They are different than each other. If your doing technical riding you need to be comfortable to have fun. That takes time. Technical riding on a strange chassis is full of close calls and saves. Lol

Im curious to hear your take on this. You've spent a good amount of time on each of the chassis, sounds like you ride pretty decent, and you dont seem brand loyal at all. Would you say that any of the chassis' are "better" than the others, or is it just what you get used to?

Im honestly curious. Ive always been on doos and like them. Had a couple M series and absolutely hated them. Tried a guys pro for a bit and hated it. Just find the doo chassis much more fun to ride. Its interesting hearing someone describe the polaris and cat as "more work to ride but a good rider can do more with them". Thats the way I would describe the doo chassis!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im curious to hear your take on this. You've spent a good amount of time on each of the chassis, sounds like you ride pretty decent, and you dont seem brand loyal at all. Would you say that any of the chassis' are "better" than the others, or is it just what you get used to?

Im honestly curious. Ive always been on doos and like them. Had a couple M series and absolutely hated them. Tried a guys pro for a bit and hated it. Just find the doo chassis much more fun to ride. Its interesting hearing someone describe the polaris and cat as "more work to ride but a good rider can do more with them". Thats the way I would describe the doo chassis!

IMO I thought my G4 was more work to ride over a alpha, especially now that the tmotion is back in my sled.
I felt very comfortable on it And felt confident enough to take the alpha in the trees. I didn’t even mind the vertical steering post which can be changed very easily on a cat.
I felt very awkward on a axys chassis and was not impressed with the bottom end response of the engine of the axys.

Of all of the sleds ive rode this year the cat seems to be the best out of the box sled for 2019.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is any chassis better than the other. Not really. Just different. I do think skidoo does downhill pow turns a little easier. I do think the Polaris chassis is so stiff it made my already blown knees ache more. Nytros gave me elbowitis But in a pinch they could mow down a tree twice the size of a 2stroke And I could avoid getting stuck. But in my honest opinion if you’re looking to ride something different due to dealer support, reliability or simply just want to make sledding new and fun again don’t be scared to buy a different Sled. once you put the time in on it it will become your favourite chassis because it is the one you are currently riding. One thing the OEM have nailed is all new sleds are easier to ride then or older chassis. Another thing I can say is unless you owned them all saying I hate Polaris. Or cats ride funny is wrong. You just have to get used to it. I Think back to when we were broke kids. I crashed my My dirt bike and bent the bars. My dad couldn’t afford to buy me new bars. I rode with bent bars so long that when I fixed the bars it was awkward to ride for a bit. My main reasons for jumping around switching brands has been due to dealers service and resale prices and belts. But it keeps sledding fun new and interesting for me. Riding 3-4 days a week. Sled’s, Quad’s,bikes it’s nice to have a change. And being a high mileage rider it’s nice to have a dealer Who can get me fixed up fast.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is any chassis better than the other. Not really. Just different. I do think skidoo does downhill pow turns a little easier. I do think the Polaris chassis is so stiff it made my already blown knees ache more. Nytros gave me elbowitis But in a pinch they could mow down a tree twice the size of a 2stroke And I could avoid getting stuck. But in my honest opinion if you’re looking to ride something different due to dealer support, reliability or simply just want to make sledding new and fun again don’t be scared to buy a different Sled. once you put the time in on it it will become your favourite chassis because it is the one you are currently riding. One thing the OEM have nailed is all new sleds are easier to ride then or older chassis. Another thing I can say is unless you owned them all saying I hate Polaris. Or cats ride funny is wrong. You just have to get used to it. I Think back to when we were broke kids. I crashed my My dirt bike and bent the bars. My dad couldn’t afford to buy me new bars. I rode with bent bars so long that when I fixed the bars it was awkward to ride for a bit. My main reasons for jumping around switching brands has been due to dealers service and resale prices and belts. But it keeps sledding fun new and interesting for me. Riding 3-4 days a week. Sled’s, Quad’s,bikes it’s nice to have a change. And being a high mileage rider it’s nice to have a dealer Who can get me fixed up fast.

well said!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me its a very simple test... when riding a new sled that I've borrowed do I chase down the owner to get my old sled back? Or do I take off into the trees to ride it as long as possible and hope he doesn't find me? The ones I chase down the owner with I don't buy!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty bold statement. Do you seriously believe what you just said? Or are you trolling? Lmao! You just threw a lot of really good riders under the bus Chris. I'm sure they would be quite amused watching you bang off trees trying to stay with them.

There are good riders on every brand. What I am saying is Cat and Polaris have designed for a higher level of riding and Doo has designed a chassis that is easier to ride but has limitations in the super technical terrain. Most guys are not looking for the most technical riding experience and that is why Doo sells so well. Doo seems to be realizing that their design is limited and now is answering now with the "Expert" package and likely in the future with the Lynx style rear suspension. I would presume the goal of all these manufacturers is to appeal to both every day riders and extreme riders at the same time. I am glad that the trend is in this direction as I too want a "do everything" sled.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you read the thread you will also see where I said that Bret's sled ride way better than the stock G4. Do you think he likes the stock suspension?
Yes he can ride them but he knows the benefits of suspension upgrades. My only beef with the G4 is unnecessary extra weight and quirky handling in the technical terrain. I have yet to have a Ski-Doo rider tell me honestly that their stock sled is the lightest and cuts through the rough stuff better than a Cat or Polaris. I bet even Maxwell secretly wishes his Ski-Doo didn't bounce off hard tracks and turn his sled up the hill when on a 45 degree sidehill. This is the price to pay to make these sleds pull up via the soft front shocks and t-motion. Polaris and Cat don't do everything better than Ski-doo so those who get their panties in a knot when I post something are drinking Doolaide or not reading all what I'm saying.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If guys wanted stiffer suspension on the doo, that's what the Freeride is for....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the expert, and the aftermarket.

Yeah the expert is new, but the freeride has been around for a while. And yeah after market goes without saying. Didn't realise people still ran the stock suspension :confused:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the expert, and the aftermarket.

Can't seem to find the 175 Freeride or the 175 Expert addition?? Or is it expected that the deepest snow sleds don't need to handle or be predictable? And where do I click to opt out of the T-Motion?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the 175 Freeride or the 175 Expert addition?? Or is it expected that the deepest snow sleds don't need to handle or be predictable? And where do I click to opt out of the T-Motion?

175 is an old man sled, so it comes equipt as such.

None of my friends have ever said, "that stock rmk suspension rocks!" No they all change out the shocks and rails and tunnel braces and spend lots of time at the welding shop...

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I suspect the expert will be next year on all models.

As for the tmotion, in the top of your web browser type in tmotion delete and there is lots of aftermarket options.

In reply to you freeride comment, isnt the poo khaos a 155?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read the thread you will also see where I said that Bret's sled ride way better than the stock G4. Do you think he likes the stock suspension?
Yes he can ride them but he knows the benefits of suspension upgrades. My only beef with the G4 is unnecessary extra weight and quirky handling in the technical terrain. I have yet to have a Ski-Doo rider tell me honestly that their stock sled is the lightest and cuts through the rough stuff better than a Cat or Polaris. I bet even Maxwell secretly wishes his Ski-Doo didn't bounce off hard tracks and turn his sled up the hill when on a 45 degree sidehill. This is the price to pay to make these sleds pull up via the soft front shocks and t-motion. Polaris and Cat don't do everything better than Ski-doo so those who get their panties in a knot when I post something are drinking Doolaide or not reading all what I'm saying.

The way my machine is setup. 3" Lower bars, Stiff suspension calibration, wide stance and short track pretty much eliminates any feedback and unpredictability. Which doesn't really make sense but i dont have any troubles. I think because the machine is going across the hill on an angle and not perpendicular with the slope.

Top Bottom