Pods vs Airbox (2001-800 RMK)

Do you run pods(air filters) on your mod

• Yes I run Pods On My Mod

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No I do Not Run Pods On My Mod

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • What are Pods... Doo they grow in a garden??

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I don't need pods, because mine is stock

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
Good timing!! Put liteweight hood/ pods on my 02 rmk7 a month ago. Had to jet way up (450/460 to 530/ 540) and 2 grms heavier (pulling 79-8000 in mntns now). Have pre-filters they're a must. Only problem is the f'n steering post is EXACTLY in the way for the k&n which only comes in a 20 angle. Tried fabbing 45 flange from pvc elbow, but cracked apart in Blue River. Found a moto fork boot in truck and rigged that up for weekend but sometimes collapses at wot. Anybody out there run into this on this machine and what did you use to remedy?! Please help!!:tearhairout:

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
The rule that I follow is simple test every mod no mater how simple or complex it is TEST TEST and TEST again. All mods should be tested against a mule sled eg. if you are tuning for a drag race you must race both sleds before mods it dosent matter if the sleds are close or not in the race. Mule = sled A mod = sled B ,after the race shed A is 2 lenghts faster this becomes your bench mark ( don't touch sled A after you start). Then do your mod and race again and compare results then mod and test again. This will save you much $ and you will know the true results of the mods. My history and testing has showing that gearing 1 or 2 teeth eather way is a wash ( in a race not top speed), every can has showing a slower sled ( but it sounds faster) a higher engagement spring without picks will be slower (but feels faster) jetting down (leaner) will pick up sled lengths, pipes (Twins)will be a lot slower ( but sound faster)unless you do the jetting and clutching ( with testing ). What is the best mod that you can do to your sled CLUTCHING is by far the best 2 to 10 sled lenghts is common. thats all that I'm willing to share at this time use it as you see fit. Test and write down the results and go with the results not the way the sled feels your a$$ is the worst for detecting results. Remember most people that don't test are not the fastest or the highest but they can list all the cool parts that should be better test and see the truth.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say pods for sure with a K&N prefilter snow screen - that addresses the water into the carb problem. Way easier to change jets and if you pull away the cowling surrounding the gas tank you can pull plenty of fresh air and remove heat from under the hood. I have run K&N's on three sleds and no problems.

I have a GenII set up and the steering post was a pain. My K&N's are angled toward the secondary and have offset boots that I got at Mountain Magic. The only problem I find is you have to wipe down the rubber with brake fluid cleaner before reinstalling on carbs to allow tight fit. I run oild mix in fuel and boots kept falling off if they are not dry.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good timing!! Put liteweight hood/ pods on my 02 rmk7 a month ago. Had to jet way up (450/460 to 530/ 540) and 2 grms heavier (pulling 79-8000 in mntns now). Have pre-filters they're a must. Only problem is the f'n steering post is EXACTLY in the way for the k&n which only comes in a 20 angle. Tried fabbing 45 flange from pvc elbow, but cracked apart in Blue River. Found a moto fork boot in truck and rigged that up for weekend but sometimes collapses at wot. Anybody out there run into this on this machine and what did you use to remedy?! Please help!!:tearhairout:

Fabtech builds the exact steering post that you need to run pods.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your new hood have the air shelf?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx guys, will try the boots @ m. magic before I install a new steering post this late in year. All good to know!

Hey Mike - may have given you the wrong info. I have a Mountain Magic built sled and I am sure the steering post is aftermarket also now that I think about it. You may have to run the stock airbox if you don't want to go changing steering posts.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

For now I'm going to stay with the stock airbox and have vented it though the top of my hood. I figure that I will break in the motor first and then consider playing around with a few other thing.

I'm still not convinced that the Pods are the right way to go. I'm going to do a bit more research before I make that decision.

Thanks agian....and Cheerz.

Top Bottom